Author Topic: Thorn Nomad 525L 2001 spec 531 redux  (Read 2875 times)

in4

Thorn Nomad 525L 2001 spec 531 redux
« on: April 17, 2013, 07:29:19 pm »
I'm not sure if this one has already been spotted but just in case:

http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=74040&sid=960979ce92e23535853d3c00a3b2782f
Reduced now. No helmet included  ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Thorn Nomad 525L 2001 spec 531 redux
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 07:37:54 pm »
No helmet included
;D ;D ;D

Wow! This one is apparently still up for offer and now with the reduced price...a seeming deal at £550. I can't believe it hasn't sold yet, though the color seems to be a bit polarizing. I think with different 'bar tape it would go over better.

Looks like it would make someone a very nice ride, and the unique color scheme might deter theft (easy to identify amidst other bikes).

All the best,

Dan.

in4

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 08:01:32 pm »
I agree Dan, the paint job is rather Bo Ho for some but hey we are a broad church in this parish. I'm sure someone was asking about a smallish tourer a few weeks ago. I think they made some reference to already having panniers and just needed the bike now. I'll have a trawl around on the boards to see if I can find who it was.

Edocaster

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 12:12:45 am »
I bought this bike! It's in great nick for its age. I'll probably leave the bar tape for now, but swap to black once it's worn.

I've got a few technical queries, but will put those in the appropriate threads.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 12:43:28 am »
Congratulations!

The sale thread over at CTC is gone already. Maybe you could post a photo or two of your new bike. I've forgotten what it was about the color that was thought noteworthy! But a 2001 Nomad would be a special bike even with boring paint!

Do you have grand adventures waiting in the wings?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 12:52:04 am »
Hi, Edocaster, and welcome the Thorn Cycling Forums...and Thorn ownership!

All congratulations on buying such a wonderful bicycle. Can't wait to see photos of it in your hands, and hearing how you get on with it.

Jim, it was one of Thorn's "special" paint jobs, with the spectrum fade design -- very striking and memorable, with each color beautifully done and distinct before fading into the next. As I recall, it has red handlebar tape.

Edo', may you have many happy miles and wonderful adventures together.

Best,

Dan.

Andybg

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 03:27:52 pm »
Hi Edocaster

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Nomad. I have one of the same era and size also with drops but in a far more boring gloss black. I can reassure you it is a fantastic and very capable bike which is extremley versatile. Mine is still my go to bike and copes with everything from day rides to expedition level shopping trips. I am sure it will be a trusty companion.

I am sure you will gets lots of help on the forum for all your technical queries

Regards

Andy (You can see some pictures of my bike in the gallery section)

Edocaster

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 10:20:28 pm »
Here's the bike. Sorry for the poor phone photo and the less than salubrious surrounds of the work car park.

I've since put a Brooks B17 and SPDs on it. At this stage, I'm only using it for day rides and commuting.

I notice that there's a decal saying the tubes are 'designer select' - does that apply to all Reynolds tubed Thorns? Or were they occasionally made with different specs?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 01:09:29 am »
Oh! My memory stands corrected on the paint; this is the lovely pool-cue paint job!
I notice that there's a decal saying the tubes are 'designer select' - does that apply to all Reynolds tubed Thorns? Or were they occasionally made with different specs?
I'm sure Dave Whittle can give us the Official Word on this, but the decal is often used to refer to the result when a custom builder picks and chooses among the offerings of various tubesets to get the result he wants. American builders often use the term "superset" to mean the same thing. The result is a bike frame that nicely balances weight and strength right where both are needed -- and in ways not possible with standard or stock tubesets from a supplier. For example, a thicker-walled downtube might be used for a very strong rider to help the bottom bracket better resist pedal torque loads, or lighter seatstays might be used to help save a bit of weight and impart a livelier feel. These are common ways in which tube sets can be juggled to better result from a custom builder.

Your bike is from a time when Thorn had a frame shop on premises. Now, they have contracted with a Taiwanese firm to produce the frames to their specs using their own branded tubesets of various diameters with wall thicknesses of .9/.6/.9mm, so your Nomad reflects an earlier time when the bikes were the product of a smaller build-shop. Adopting economies of scale has allowed Thorn to keep prices as low and competitive, whereas the onsite shop could not have met the necessary demand while remaining profitable.

Yours is a very special bike indeed, Edo', and I am so pleased you're on the forum with it so we can follow it on after purchase. It is a corker of a bike, and looks simply wonderful to my eyes -- Congratulations once again on your new ownership; it has obviously found a good home where it will be well-loved and appreciated.

Best,

Dan.