Author Topic: soda bottle cage  (Read 2090 times)

ZeroBike

soda bottle cage
« on: April 17, 2013, 03:42:55 pm »
Hello

I have see quite a few videos and photos where people are using 2litre soda bottles to carry water.  What sort of bottle cage would be used for this.  Often I see people attaching the bottles to the front fork, again what would you use to attach the bottles.

Thanks

anniesboy

Re: soda bottle cage
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 03:57:07 pm »
Take a look at Bike Buddy  http://www.bikebuddy.co.uk/

But not on a fork,that sounds like an accident waiting to happen

ZeroBike

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 05:27:25 pm »
Thanks.

I have seen those before but wasnt sure if they would work with PET bottles. Wouldnt the bottle bend too much?

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 05:36:59 pm »
I bought the bike buddy last month
No problems at all

Check out some of the previuos postings on carriers.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Andybg

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 06:20:56 pm »
I bought a set of Monkii cages last month (but only just got the chance to fit them.)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/monkii-v-cage-Bike-Bicycle-Thermos-Nalgene-Sigg-Bottle-Cage-Brompton-/221211474590?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&var=&hash=item33813b3a9e

Very impressed so far and give me the option of running with any container up to a standard 1.5 litre bottle.

Have tried it with a 2 litre bottle and I would say although possible (in an emergency) it is certainly not ideal. the single strap will hold the bottle but at only 3 inches from the bottom of the bottle there is a lot of sway in the bottle. It may work ok with a "premium" brand plastic bottle but the cheaper variety are just too weak.

The bottle cages on the front forks are a "Surly" thing and you need the Surly fork (although I think Genesis offer a fork with the Surly fitting)