Author Topic: brake booster  (Read 9455 times)

grisling

brake booster
« on: January 08, 2006, 04:49:52 pm »
Does anyone have experience with brake boosters fx. used on a Thorn EXP with cantilevers, and will it fit over the front mudguard?
Ole from Copenhagen

luceberg

Re: brake booster
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 03:00:48 am »
I have fitted brake boosters to my Nomad, with cantilever brakes. From my experiments, I found that the cantilevers they suite best are the ones with the brake stubs external to lever arm, such as the Suntour SE or '93 Shimano. With these, they increase braking power considerably and in my experience prevent brake squeal. That's probably more than you want to know, but the ones I used are the Tectro ones that Thorn supply. Not all designs will clear a mudguard with ease, but these do. I found that one fitted to the rear had the most dramatic effect, as the stays of the Nomad are not stiff enough to resist the induced twisting force. Your EXP will be stiffer.

Cheers from England

john28july

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 10:07:56 am »
Maybe Andy or Robin from SJSC/Thorn could respond to this? I have owned two Nomads and both including the sloping top tube now owned were and is fitted with Cantilever Suntour Self Energizing rear brake. Nomad stays not strong enough? Surely not! My Nomad is built like a real heavy duty bike. I love it.
John.
www.pbase.com/john28july

luceberg

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 07:54:55 pm »
I'm not knocking the Nomad at all. I love mine too.
The seatstays are well strong enough in every respect except for supporting the brake bosses. I weigh 16 stone and use it for loaded touring, so I want maximum braking power. Brake boosters do the trick, so it's not a problem.