Author Topic: Brake blocks for chrome rims  (Read 13881 times)

lowweiyang

Brake blocks for chrome rims
« on: November 30, 2005, 01:19:27 pm »
Hi. I have a road race bike with a what looks like a chrome-rimmed front wheel and am looking for brake blocks for it. Anybody with any idea where I might be able to find them? Thanks!

Wei Yang
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 01:20:21 pm by lowweiyang »

luceberg

Re: Brake blocks for chrome rims
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 04:36:53 pm »
A chrome rimmed wheel sounds very unlikely on a race bike, unless it is an antique!

If the bike is even remotely modern, then the rims will be aluminium, in which case  normal brake blocks will be the ones you need.

More information please.

lowweiyang

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 12:36:38 pm »
Sorry. Correction here. It's actually a steel-rimmed wheel plated with chrome. It really is that old a bike. Raleigh Reynolds 501. Built in 1989. To further describe how old it is, it only has a 6-speed sprocket , so you can imagine how much force I would have to generate to pedal up the slopes. (That's a whole new topic anyway). Having a lot of trouble finding a pair of brake blocks suitable for it.

lowweiyang

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 12:38:08 pm »
Oh ya.... You may be wondering why the hell I'm not getting a new bike. Cos' I don't have the money to get a decent new road race bike....

luceberg

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 01:36:51 am »
Well..the brake blocks suitable for steel rimmed bikes are generic rubber blocks. I think almost any block would do. But none of them work well in the wet, taking a few revolutions of the wheel before there is any braking effect at all. Aluminium is much better, both for brake block grip and for lightness. A light rim accelerates more easily. Might be worth upgrading? A 6 speed block is ok. It's the overall gear range that counts...

tynevalleycommuter

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 03:03:43 am »
Thinking back to my days on steel rims I would agree that there are no blocks that work really well on chrome in the wet, but some work better (or less badly!) than others.

From memory, blocks with softer 'grippier' rubber and several segments on the surface of the block with grooves or channels in between to get rid of water tended to work best for me.

These might do the trick:-

http://www.fisheroutdoor.co.uk/public/index.php/product/brakepads/clarks/clarkroadbrakes/BST300BK.html

Have you tried your local bike shop? If there is one near you that does repairs, chances are that they will have brake blocks suitable for all types of bike.

I am not sure from your message if you have one aluminium wheel and one steel, but if so, you may be able to find a cheap second hand front wheel on its own on ebay to match the rear so you can use alloy front and back and get better braking and more choice of brake blocks. However, you need to be aware that there are two basic road bike wheel sizes; older wheels tend to be 27" diameter and more modern ones a metric 700c size. A bike from 89 could be either. You should find markings on the rim and tyre which will tell you which you have. The 700c tyres would actually be marked 700 x 23 (23-622) or similar. The different wheel sizes are not interchangeable because with the different rim diameters the brakes will most probably not line up with the rim properly, so you need to be sure to get the right size for your frame/forks.

There are also often cheap 6 speed freewheels on ebay so you may be able to find one with a wider range of gears for not very much to make getting up the hills easier; however, you would need to beg or borrow a special tool to use to remove the old freewheel.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cycling - you don't need the latest and greatest machine to do this![:)]

lowweiyang

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 11:42:45 am »
Cheers. Will see if I can change that front wheel and possibly the freewheel as well.