Author Topic: Should I switch to a platform front rack?  (Read 3076 times)

VeloFreedom

• VeloFreedom
Should I switch to a platform front rack?
« on: April 01, 2013, 05:26:25 pm »
I've been touring my Nomad Mk.1 with Thorn MkV Cro Mo Steel low riders on the front for a few years without real problem (a couple of sheared bolts). Right now I'm seriously contemplating changing to an Old Man Mountain Cold Springs platform rack http://www.modernbike.com/itemgroup.asp?igpk=2126178672&TID=367&gclid=COXPndTwqbYCFdGd4AodXgoA_A.
Here are my thoughts, I'd appreciate yours...

1) I want more pannier clearance from the ground as my front panniers are fed up of getting punished by curbs and larger rocks and drowned on stream crossings
2) I can see a distinct benefit to my load balance and packability in gaining front platform space
3) The OMM racks are aluminum but that doesn't really worry me
4) I worry about steering stability with mounting the weight higher at the front. Despite enjoying rougher unpaved roads I persist with butterfly bars. They are a pain going downhill on rough surface as the braking position pulls the hands in pretty close to one another. It's a concern that this problem could be exacerbated.
5) Those OMM racks are darn sexy  ;)
6) A change is as good as a break
7) The OMM rack mounting enable fixing a front flat without unloading the entire bike. It also requires fewer bolts and therefor necessitates carrying fewer spares (I'm much more weight conscious than I used to be).

I'm sure there are other factors but does anyone have any experience or thoughts?
Many thanks.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Should I switch to a platform front rack?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 06:18:18 pm »
Hi VeloF'!

You asked...
Should I switch to a platform front rack?
Why not, if you prefer?  Vik Banerjee, late of this Forum has long used OMM racks and remains very pleased with them in a variety of applications, including on his onetime Sherpa. See: http://thelazyrando.wordpress.com/?s=OMM

Having broken a string of top-name aluminum racks, I now prefer steel, but OMM seem to have a very low breakage rate, judging by Forum chatter on the 'Net. They are well-braced and offer some interesting mounting options. See: http://www.oldmanmountain.com/ Personally, I'm not so enthused about the versions that mount to a quick-release skewer (concerns about overall strength and it seems it could be a bit fiddly when changing wheels with a load on the rack), but in fairness I've not heard any problems reported.

The real key to using a front rack successfully is to avoid having it triangulate the fork between dropout and crown. This is almost never a problem anymore, but sure was back in the day with Blackburn's platform front rack, at least in my experience. It partially "locked out" fork blade flexure, and eventually fatigued itself from the stress.

If I were to go for a platform-like front rack, I'd be inclined toward a Steco in combination with Thorn's Low-Loader MkV front panner racks. I started a topic on Stecos here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4294.0 They offer a variety of designs well beyond the one I used to illustrate the topic.

An alternative might be the Surly Nice Rack (Front). Many people use them and are very happy with the design and performance. I am one of the few who was terribly unhappy with mine and sold it on. Why? I loved the two-tier bag mounting option, but there were problems. While the rack was very stiff vertically, I found the flat mounting brackets offered little resistance to lateral movement in my use, so the rack wobbled no matter how tightly it was fastened.

That said, the OMM front platform rack should accomplish all your goals, though the weight will be carried higher than with low-riders, an advantage for use in brush, near curbs, and other obstacles, but with somewhat poorer handling, a detriment offset to a degree by getting more weight forward overall for a more balanced load.

If you go for the platform from rack, will you also be using a handlebar bag? If not, then a popular option is to attach a rack-top bag (usually intended for a rear rack) to the front platform. It gets the weight a bit lower, and sometimes offers a bit more utility.

Best,

Dan.

Andybg

Re: Should I switch to a platform front rack?
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 07:26:11 am »
In respect to the Surly front rack, I have one on my Mk1 Nomad: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=5269.0

I fitted this to allow me to take my rear pannier bags on the front when I have my grand daughter on the back.

I have found it great although I would say their weight could be an issue. I also think Dan's concerns about their lateral strength could be a concern if you are predomiently touring off road. For on road use and mild offroading loaded they are fine but I think they would suffer from extended off roading if heavily loaded; if not in failure certainly in feel and flex.

Andy