Author Topic: Thinking of going over to the "dark side"  (Read 9004 times)

Cambirder

Re: Thinking of going over to the "dark side"
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2013, 11:45:56 am »
There *may* be other options such as a Boardman bike. Or another non-fancy brand that still makes a good ride but won't be such a thief magnet or break the bank. (not everybody's way I know...)

Uglifying with tape is another trick often used along with making it look dirty on purpose. We put pink rattlecan on the bike, and spoke beads to uglify our steeds in NL. Had to use a good lock to lock down to lamp post but still no guarantee...

Or...get a terrible colour used frame for cheap on the bay and build it up. Sometimes you see OMG paint jobs on good frames showing up, at least it won't get nicked and you won't notice as long as you don't look down :P

Second hand is a very good option too there's nice stuff on gumtree/the bay.

Steve Goff has a carbon frame for £660...made in UK and looks pretty stealthy http://www.steve-goff-frames.co.uk/carbon.shtml

I'm thinking of replacing it with something a bit more unique. I've found a frame builder a bit nearer me who does a nice looking range of custom frames in steel and Ti. He builds the steel frames himself but outsources the Ti frames to a Russian company.

http://www.burls.co.uk/tiRoad.php

Price for a Ti frame with carbon forks, Campy Centaur group set (Shimano cranks are just to fugly) and something like a pair of Zonda wheels should work out at a similar price to the Domane. A light weight steel frame in Columbus Spirit a bit cheeper (unless a flash paint job was deemed appropriate)

JWestland

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2013, 02:16:30 pm »
http://www.enigmabikes.com/

Enigma does titanium steeds too. Though it's always good if the framebuilder lives nearby for fitting :)
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

Cambirder

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2013, 02:15:03 pm »
I think I can stop looking for a replacement as thanks to the Suffolk cycling community my Domane has been recovered, and I'm going to pick it up on Monday from Sudbury police station :)

It was being ridden round the village where it went missing, buy someone who clearly had no idea what they had.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2013, 03:02:10 pm »
Awesome! Enjoy your new bike... again!

Andre Jute

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2013, 05:21:14 pm »
Congratulations on recovering your bike!

Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2013, 06:38:20 pm »
WowZa! You're getting it back!!! Happy day, Paul. Yaaaay!

Huge tip of the hat to the Suffolk cycling community for spotting it and moving forward. Wow!

All the best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2013, 06:48:21 pm »
Strange but wonderful resolution to it all!  What great news -- enjoy it all the more, Paul.

John

JWestland

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2013, 09:38:15 am »
Woohoo!!!

Lucky you!  ;D
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)