Author Topic: Thinking of going over to the "dark side"  (Read 8994 times)

Cambirder

Thinking of going over to the "dark side"
« on: March 26, 2013, 08:39:37 pm »
I've had my RST 18 months now and ridden it some 7000 km, including all my day rides and audax rides. My only other bike is a Dawes Galaxy which is mainly used for trips into town and shopping runs. Having two steel framed touring bikes is leaving me yearning for something compleatly different to add to my small stable.

I thought it would be nice to have something light and fast, unincumbered by racks and mudguards that I can blitz around the country lanes if we ever get any decent weather. Ideally also should be robust and comfy over 100-200k and so I'm now drewling over this

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/road/race_performance/domane_4_series/domane_4_5_compact/#

Looks perfect for a summer 200km audax ride on some of the rather rough lanes they visit. Never had a road bike and I think I ought to before I reach 60 (next year) all I need to do is convince my treasurer that yet another bike is an absolute requirement for my continuing well being.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 11:03:25 pm by Cambirder »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Thinking of going over to the "dark side"
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 08:46:36 pm »
I'm now drewling over this beauty.
Who are you, and what have you done with Paul?  :o

All kidding aside, this looks like one fast ride, and I have no doubt from all reports that it will indeed fulfill your mission. A bit like keeping a Harrier in the garage for strafing country lanes.

My feeling: You've got the touring end of things covered with the Dawes. The RST pretty much covers the rest of sporty-riding. The Madone would cover the more seriously fast end of things. Of course you are aware of the compromises (this isn't a touring bike) and -- hey! -- you only live once. Just tell the treasurer if you don't get it, you'll always wonder, and nothing is worse than an unfulfilled life. A dramatic but proven claim.  :D

All the best,

Dan. (...who might do the same, except *all* his bikes end up as touring bikes)

E-wan

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 10:12:56 pm »
Looks nice although I've never been convinced about carbon.  If you'r contemplating something other than steel I have my eye on one of these

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s21p2573

though might not be quite what you are looking for.

Ewan

honesty

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 10:51:34 pm »
I'd go for either a Specialized Roubiax or a Bianchi Infiniti if I were in the market for expensive carbon road bikes. The slightly longer head tubes and frame design is geared more towards long distance racing so would be more comfy. The Bianchi would be my preference just because they look so good!

Cambirder

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 11:10:21 pm »
I'd go for either a Specialized Roubiax or a Bianchi Infiniti if I were in the market for expensive carbon road bikes. The slightly longer head tubes and frame design is geared more towards long distance racing so would be more comfy. The Bianchi would be my preference just because they look so good!

Whoops! I originally posted a link to the wrong bike I've now changed it to the Domane 4.5 rather than the Madone 4.5. The Domane is more along the lines of the Roubiax, it also comes in a much cheaper Aluminium form which might get past the treasurer with less sharp intake of breath.

honesty

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 11:35:14 pm »
Ah, that makes a lot of sense, and the Domane can fit mudguards as well. Still i think the celeste of the bianchi infinito still wins it for me though (and its *only* 2250 quid... ;) )

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 01:54:21 am »
This may be my inner insecurities talking (yes, it is; I just checked), but I would be largely fine with a carbon bike for sporting purposes so long as I could replace the carbon fork with a steel one or even aluminum.

The one thing that scares the daylights out of me about carbon frames is the possibility of a fork breaking. I have seen several examples of broken forks at dealers, as well as warrantied forks that appeared to be largely fine to the casual eye, but it would sure be easy to miss some of the warning signs, like a scuff-damaged clear-coat. I know carbon forks are well-proven in millions of miles for manymanymany users and are the order of the day in competition, but still...a failure there is more likely to have tragic consequences than at some other point in the bike frame.

Danneaux's Seal of Qualified Approval on the Domaine's alu fork, though I wish it was steel 'cos steel is um, "real".

Best,

Dan. (...who has found the monster under his bed in this one)

sdg_77

• Hadrian's Wall and a Half
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 08:04:59 am »
We really enjoy a quick Sunday morning blast on our whizzy bikes,  obviously,  they won't do what the two Thorns will, but that's not the point, which I think, means ... go for it ;-)

Alternative view: the optimum number of bicycles is either N+1 where N is how many you have now, or S-1 where S is the number which will cause strife in your relationship.

Beware though, there was a time when I had N bicycles and 'she who must be obeyed' had one,  now we both have N, and it is not easy to get the green bin through the garage on recycling day.

sdg.

JWestland

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 11:08:17 am »
Planet X has good carbon bikes for great value, if it must be Crabon but doesn't have to be "fancy".

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBBAC13U/battaglin_c13_carbon_ultegra_complete_bike

Ciocc (small Italian firm from the olden steel days) does carbon too if you want something off the beaten path.

http://www.racescene.co.uk/pages/ciocc-special-offer-bikes

I seen their bikes on Fleabay too. They reply to e-mails etc. and chat on their FB page, small firm.

As for N...I don't have a garage. That will limit my N.
1 beater (outside)
2 XTC (behind kitchen table)
3 Hob fixie (kitchen small corridor upside down)
4 Ciocc San Cristobal vintage racer. Errr....I need a wall mount. It's nearly built up need some parts.

The other half has 2 bikes, 5 vintage frames (I covet his Raleigh Team track frame from the late 70s badly good it's 3 sizes too big) about 3 wheelsets, 5 pairs of tires, a nearly complete Campy Pista groupset and I could go on... S-1 has not yet been reached. He does have a garage though...if we ever move in together and the bikes breed we will be in trouble ;)
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

Cambirder

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 04:27:20 pm »
I've been brave and raised the subject with my "treasurer" and it looks like I have the green light for n+1, so I think I might be off to my LBS tomorrow to see about a test ride / fitting. Not going to make a hasty decision though I think I ought to try some of the alternatives although a Domane 4.5 is the absolute limit of my budget, which probable rules out that very nice looking Infinity

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 04:35:40 pm »
Best of luck, Paul! A test ride goes very far indeed toward learning firsthand what you want and need.

Do you think you'll try the RST or Galaxy before the test ride so they'll be fresh in your mind for comparison, or will you hit it "cold" and let the test-ride of the new bike stand on its own merit? I've gone both routes in the past, and can't say for sure which is preferable when the new bike is so different from the old!

Best,

Dan.

Cambirder

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 04:48:51 pm »
I will be riding over on the RST so it should be reasonable fresh in the mind  :D. I've never tried STI shifters before so everything is going to feel very different.

JWestland

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 12:13:30 am »
STI are handy enough I never had them before the XTC and they took about 15 minutes to learn :)
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

Cambirder

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 12:50:20 am »
Still not got to testing one yet forgot LBS would be shut on Good Friday. Hope to have a test ride this Thursday now.

Cambirder

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 12:30:14 am »
Well after real life got in the way, I finally got a ride on a Domane 4.3 last week but the 54cm frame was a bit on the big side for me, so I've been waiting for my LBS (Ben Haywards) to get a 52cm bike in and finally got to ride a 52cm 4.5 on Saturday, and have to admit I loved it so I now own that bike.

Only been for shot spins so far but I think I need to change those Bontranger R2 tyres for some Conti GP4000's and I'm almost certain that the saddle it comes with is going to give bum pain over long distances so I will probably swat it for a heavier, but more comfortable Brooks Team Pro.

My RST however will still be getting plenty of use.