Author Topic: wetsuit gloves for winter cycling?  (Read 3920 times)

Darragh

wetsuit gloves for winter cycling?
« on: March 23, 2013, 01:16:22 pm »
anyone used neoprene wetsuit gloves for cycling? I've heard they are good for cold and rain.... just wondering if anyone has experience of using them?

Thanks

Andybg

Re: wetsuit gloves for winter cycling?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 03:36:26 pm »
Not tried them but have used wetsuit socks for cycling with good success so should imagine the gloves would be equally as good

Andy

ianshearin

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 04:18:23 pm »
I have wetsuit gloves which I use for diving, never considered using them for cycling.
I have cycled in some horrendous conditions and have never needed more than a decent pair of warm gloves with a waterproof mitten on top.

Mind you, if the weather is that bad then its the TV and some wine for me.... ;)
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

John Saxby

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 09:54:26 pm »
Have used a pair of neoprene kayaking gloves for wet-weather riding -- similar to a diver's wet-suit gloves, maybe slightly better suited to cycling because they're pre-curved, with sturdy protective covering on the palms & fingers.

Don't have mine readily to hand, but they're about 2.5 or 3 mm thick.

Pros:  keep your hands warm, but not really dry.  If you used them all day, your hands wd be seriously pruned, I think.

Cons:  as with all watersports gear, how to dry the things?  Esp since you're wearing them 'cos it's wet, no?  Ansd as you'd expect, they get seriously stinky if they don't get properly dried out.

I've not had much luck with waterproof-breathable over-gloves:  they tend to be one or the other.

My wet-weather motorcycling solution is simply XL heavy-duty washing-up gloves over my riding gloves. But in that situation, I'm not generating much heat, hence not sweating.

For the moment, I'll stick with my kayaking solution.  Surely there's a better arrangement--maybe a reader in Vancouver or the West Coast of Scotland or Ireland can offer one?

J.

Darragh

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 08:43:31 pm »
Myself and my girlfriend have just been doing a few days touring on the north west coast of scotland. I used the wetsuit gloves (3mm) on a long descent (bealach na ba into Applecross if anyone knows it). It was really cold weather. I found these gloves quite a bit warmer than my normal combination of liner gloves and a waterproof cycling glove. It was dry though so I haven't experience of trying to dry them. But in dry cold conditons I've found them good.