Author Topic: Anti cycling law  (Read 12098 times)

bikerwaser

Anti cycling law
« on: March 23, 2013, 10:24:42 am »
Hi All

Spain is on the verge of implementing new laws that will make cycling a much less attractive idea. one of which is the compulsory wearing of cycle helmets.
as we all know about studies that show that when you make helmets compulsory the number of cyclist drop significantly and as we all know cycling is a healthy and pleasant hobby and form of transport.

i thought i'd post this article below from CTC. there's also the link which allows you to write to the Spanish minister for tourism .
also there is a link to conbici , the organisation in Spain that is for cyclists and against these measures.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/spanish-cycling-organisations-protest-against-anti-cycling-proposals

https://oficinavirtual.mityc.es/crmformweb/formularios/infoSia.aspx

sign the petition on down on the left:
http://conbici.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1121:spanish-traffic-authority-proposes-compulsory-helmets-and-other-anti-cycling-measures&catid=18&Itemid=58

Bikerwaser

il padrone

Re: Anti cycling law
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 11:16:48 am »
Petition signed.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 01:12:11 pm »
What with all the flak flying about over Spanish debts, I think I may take to wearing my helmet when I cycle through.
 :D
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

ianshearin

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 01:20:18 pm »
To be honest I dont think the measures are Anti Cycling as proposed by the various pressure groups.
Most of the measures seem like safety concerns and should be carried out by cyclist anyway.

The debate on compulsory wearing of helmets is different though, having said that if I had children, helmets would be compulsory for them as it is for myself when I go out cycling.

My personal view is that helmets should be a choice, but I dont see any other issues with the rest of the proposed regulations from the Spanish authorities.
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

il padrone

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 01:41:44 pm »
Hmm... legal requirement to always ride to the far right edge of the road, and always to the right side of the lane ???.

This goes against what is very often good cycling practice. Sit at the far edge of the road and you generally encourage motorists to close-shave you. Often you need to claim the lane eg. when it is too narrow for a car to share the lane with a cyclist; when you are maneuvering in traffic. I have taught my kids to claim the road space they require for their safe cycling. Overtaking drivers have the simple obligation to keep clear and overtake safely.

Such a blanket rule as is being proposed in Spain gives the escape clause for motorists from prosecution in virtually every case. I would feel very wary cycling in such a climate.

Bicycle trailers to be banned on roads outside of urban areas ???. I think you were even considereing a bike trailer for your tour through Spain, ianshearin. Puts a bit of a dampener on that, and all for what reason ??
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 01:47:12 pm by il padrone »

ianshearin

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 02:58:24 pm »
Thats an interesting view on keeping to the edge of the road, I have never felt the need to 'claim' the road, I think I would feel pressured if I did that with a vehicle waiting behind me. I always stay close to the edge anyway.

Do other riders cycle this way, by claiming the road to ensure drivers can only overtake when safe to do so?
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

Peddrov

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 03:10:43 pm »
Yes, it is a lot safer in my experience. This only works if traffic is reasonably slow though, since otherwise you would possibly provoke anger and dangerous maneuvers. Drivers tend to be understanding if you block the lane where it is narrow as long as you let them pass as soon as it is safe.

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 08:42:41 pm »
Hi All,
In New Zealand all is OK, You just put on your cycle helmet and go riding! I have had to replace Four helmets so far! that is 4x that my life was saved by having on a Helmet  :o so why not wear one  ???

Bicycle helmets have been mandatory in New Zealand since January 1994

As for not staying Left when your cycling out side of Town  :o Well it was good to know you  :'(  we have too Share the Road come on some Cyclist drive Big Trucks all day at work (Me)
So Share the road and be happy....

Pete
 ;)

« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 08:44:22 pm by NZPeterG »
The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

il padrone

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2013, 09:03:19 pm »
Thankfully the road rules in Victoria are pretty clear and allow for safety of all road users.

On keeping left (for all vehicles):
Quote from: Victorian Road Rules
129 Keeping to the far left side of a road
(1) A driver on a road (except a multi-lane road) must drive as near as practicable to the far left side of the road....

......130 Keeping to the left on a multi-lane road
(1) This rule applies to a driver driving on a multilane road if—
(a) the speed-limit applying to the driver for the length of road where the driver is driving is over 80 kilometres per hour; or
(b) a keep left unless overtaking sign applies to the length of road where the driver is driving.

"As near as practicable to the far left side" does not mean always on the left edge. All sorts of practicable reasons dictate this should not be the case at all times - turning right, moving around obstructions, potholed or dangerous left edge, insufficient room to share a lane..... even drivers driving too close/fast because they regard you as off the road.

There is no requirement for cyclists to keep left within a lane on a multi-lane road.

On ovetaking:
Quote from: Victorian Road Rules
140 No overtaking unless safe to do so
A driver must not overtake a vehicle unless—
(a) the driver has a clear view of any approaching traffic; and
(b) the driver can safely overtake the vehicle....

.....144 Keeping a safe distance when overtaking
A driver overtaking a vehicle—
(a) must pass the vehicle at a sufficient distance to avoid a collision with the vehicle or obstructing the path of the vehicle; and
(b) must not return to the marked lane or line of traffic where the vehicle is travelling until the driver is a sufficient distance past the vehicle to avoid a collision with the vehicle or obstructing the path of the vehicle.

Safety is a strong theme you'll notice. A pity that more drivers don't take greater note of this. By riding wider I've found that this encourages drivers to overtake more safely by changing lanes fully to do so, rather than lane splitting/lane sharing with insufficient space.

If you have a look at the Yutube video "The Rights and Duties of Cyclists", or the Commute Orlando Youtube channel, you'll see plenty of info on cycling and the pluses of claiming the lane. It is the US of course but still of great relevance.

I find this to be safer road positioning:

than this:

In particular, here in Australia, even on many country roads the safest way to deal with large trucks is to show that you are on the road (where they should overtake safely by moving over) than to hug the road edge and risk them squeezing you off by overtaking at speed as if you were not there.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 09:31:59 pm by il padrone »

il padrone

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2013, 09:36:48 pm »

As for not staying Left when your cycling out side of Town  :o Well it was good to know you  :'(  we have too Share the Road come on some Cyclist drive Big Trucks all day at work (Me)
So Share the road and be happy....

Recent tragedy at Taupo is a moot point. The cyclists were riding in single file on the left, truck driver still pulled one down and ran over her. Ride double and the driver is forced to chose whether safe to overtake wide, or else to slow down and wait a bit.

The driver was not "sharing the road"  :-\

As road users, cyclists do have some strategies we can use to ensure drivers share the road more effectively.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 10:19:05 pm by il padrone »

rualexander

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 11:21:13 pm »
Two photos taken on New Zealand roads :

Andre Jute

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2013, 12:41:29 am »
The more cyclists there are on the road, the faster the culture changes, the sooner it becomes safe for cyclists, the better cyclists can afford to be generous about sharing the road. We have so few cyclists where I live that on a lane too narrow for a car to pass legally, with thorny hedges both sides, some drivers still use the horn.

il padrone

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2013, 02:24:47 am »
I have to driver my work truck (Its a Big Kenworth 24+ ton's) along this road most days! it is not very wide I have only 300mm of room from side of road to the centre of the road. It is hard work to stay left of the centre line (with no cyclist or runner's about) I do not like cycling on this road because there is no room to pull over (if I would like too) Trucks can NOT just slow down when you come around a bent or over a hill  :o with 18 gears to change down with engine brake on full it just takes time....

I've ridden plenty of country roads here in Australia in 35 years of cycle-touring. I've googled the Streetview of the road where this death occurred..... even the exact location (it was on double yellow lines, only one section of double yellows on the road as far as I  can see). The road is a typical two-lane country road, not too much different to a lot of country roads here in Australia.

I've ridden with trucks passing, sometimes quite a lot. I've nearly always found them to be the most considerate drivers on the roads. They do not seem to have too much difficulty with slowing, changing down, timing their run and changing lanes to overtake. If they can't they are usually quite patient to wait until safe. I practice appropriate 'road presence' strategies and it all seems to work well for me.

This road for example had lots of trucks, truck-trailer pulp carriers, driving both ways. Not a huge amount of room and double-lines, but the truck drivers were superb to us.

Along that tour we usually rode in this sort of position on the roads (keeping left of course if vehicles were coming by and driving reasonably). I wonder how Spanish police would respond to this under the new rules?:

Great Ocean Road past Lavers Hill -100kmh road

Princes Hwy along the Coorong - 110kmh road

On a different tour, but similar responsible safe riding, Tasman Hwy, St Helens east coast of Tasmania - 60kmh road
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 04:32:09 am by il padrone »

il padrone

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2013, 04:25:36 am »
Yes, it is a lot safer in my experience. This only works if traffic is reasonably slow though, since otherwise you would possibly provoke anger and dangerous maneuvers. Drivers tend to be understanding if you block the lane where it is narrow as long as you let them pass as soon as it is safe.

This shows how lane claiming can work, even on relatively high speed roads, with cyclists riding at normal cycling speeds

http://vimeo.com/17502384

Pavel

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 06:57:48 pm »
I used my helmet most of the last trip, but that said, if they pass mandatory helmet laws here ... I will be done with cycling.  After the helmet laws pass, I expect another good idea from motorcycle life to be suggested next; the spine protector ... and perhaps full leathers as well ... I mean you can never be too prepared for when that truck hits ya. I wonder if mandatory risk insurance, as suggested in Canada may not be a good life saver too.  Heck ... if dem cyclists don't get on the road in the first place we will save a lot of lives.  Now that is a motto I can understand ... from the drivers side of maah Truck.

Slippery slopes.