Author Topic: Top-tube wraps, pads, protectors  (Read 12596 times)

mickeg

Re: Top-tube wraps, pads, protectors
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 01:38:02 pm »
In photo, a short piece of pipe insulation held on with velcro to protect frame if the handlebar swings around and the bar end shifter hits the top tube.  This is on my Sherpa.  It is also useful to protect paint if locked up to a signpost.

On my Nomad I have a strip of innertube rubber about 3/4 inch wide wrapped around the top tube a few times and held on with a piece of velcro of the same width where the handlebar ends hit the top tube.

alfie1952

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 02:35:29 pm »
Hi there, I have clear matt frame tape on the top tube and where my cables may rub on the frame ,advertised as used on helicopter blades !! it seems to  work for me as I have a habit of sitting down on my top tube  when stopped at lights etc. it also has protected my frame when using a cable and lock when leaving my bike for a minute or two.

Regards,Alfie

jags

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 03:41:51 pm »
Alfie does it peel off hany enough when you need to replace it,how hard is it to fix. have you a link to where you bought it thanks in advance. ;)

alfie1952

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 04:07:40 pm »
Hi Jags, I asked around the local bike shops with no success, but on ebay if you type in bike frame tape there is loads of suppliers. I got mine from Paragontapes quite reasonable. I have also used their carbon tape on my black cannondale.

Regards, Alfie

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 04:21:46 pm »
Hi Jawine!

The TT protectors in your link appear to be mostly to blunt the ding-causing effects of handlebars striking the top tube in a fall (I really like the one that is made from stainless strips, silver-soldered on; I've done a few twisted-spoke wheel builds like that as well).

'Round here, single-speeds and true Fixies are all the rage with the Uni crowd, and it is increasingly common to see the ones parked in racks sporting a length of foam pipe lagging snapped onto the top tube. I asked one fellow about it, and he said the "nice ones" get nicked so readily while parked. The ones adapted from pipe lagging are so common as to have no theft-incentive. He'd wrapped his with colored vinyl electrical tape to match his frame paint. It looked good from a distance, 'didn't see it up-close.

Ah, me; one more thing to think about when leaving a bike locked but unattended, I suppose. For my money, a TT wrap is bound to keep things looking nice, but I'd apply one only after a thick coat of wax and I'd check it periodically, as I suppose moisture or grit trapped beneath could eventually cause problems akin to long-term use of a protective vinyl "bra" or "mask" on the front of a car.

EDIT: I have a strip of matte black windshield trim tape affixed invisibly to my matte black Nomad's top tube. Works nicely for preventing scuffs when dis/mounting, but would be very noticeable on your lovely yellow Gazelle. I like Alfie's approach. If you applied an "owner's name" sticker beneath the clear tape, it would be a task for a thief to peel it off, making identification easier in the event of theft/loss.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 04:58:59 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 06:10:41 pm »
Hi Jags, I asked around the local bike shops with no success, but on ebay if you type in bike frame tape there is loads of suppliers. I got mine from Paragontapes quite reasonable. I have also used their carbon tape on my black cannondale.

Regards, Alfie

Thanks Alfie.

alfie1952

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 06:36:18 pm »
Hi Jags,

it's easy to apply, I put it on using a hairdryer  as it was freezing cold at the time, and have just tried removing it and I reckon it can be removed in a similiar fashion. I was quite impressed as I have had it on my other bike for about 18 months and it's still going strong...

Regards Alfie.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 06:41:07 pm »
Andre has just about the prettiest solution I've seen. He has *leather* scuff guards on the twin-laterals crossing the sloping top tube and downtube on his Utopia Kranich. Just viewable here: http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLINGRohloffEXTservice.html ...and again here: http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLINGbuildingpedelec4.html

Fantastic.

Best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 08:54:01 pm »
At the risk of lowering the tone a bit, I'm tempted to try the Default Canajan Fix, hockey tape, the matte clear stuff.  I use this for weather stripping to seal any leaky windows each winter; strapping up twisted ankles & the like; parcel tape; the usual hockey applications, atop the laces around the ankles, as well as over the socks to keep the shinpads in place; as a glide on the lower corners of a bike box when lugging it around places which lack trolleys, i.e., European train stations; removable seals to close plastic bags; and probably a few other things I can't remember.  It's handy because so cheap & easily removable, and there are always several rolls here & there around the house.  Or I might try gaffer's tape, to be colour-co-ordinated.

Haven't used anything for the last ten-plus years because my Eclipse frame is unpainted titanium, but my matte black Raven toptube might collect some nicks & scratches.  Still a what-if discussion for a while yet, as the temp was about -33 this morning with the windchill.  Sunny, though.

Andre Jute

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 12:33:17 am »
Andre has just about the prettiest solution I've seen. He has *leather* scuff guards on the twin-laterals crossing the sloping top tube and downtube on his Utopia Kranich.
Fantastic.

Best,

Dan.

Here's a photograph that shows the leather covers, intended to keep my number 12 street shoes off the irreplaceable paintwork by Meister Kluwer, and the manner of lacing with color-matched laces. The leather once matched all the bags too, when I had a honey saddle and all the bags were light tan leather, but when I changed the bags with the saddle color I discovered that dark brown leather rail protectors soon show the muddy footprints, whereas the light tan leather doesn't... Back on went the light tan protectors. My priority is a zero maintenance bike, not color matching.

That leather you see is five or six years old, and gets washed in the machine once a year or every two years when I take it off to wax behind it, depending on how much use the bike gets. My bike lives in centrally heated surroundings, and rarely even gets wet, so if you put removable covers on for instance a commuter, you might want to inspect for damp and grit behind the covers more frequently; I've never found any.

John Saxby

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2014, 01:10:12 am »
Pretty spiffy, Andre, what with the greenery of The Holy Ground 'n' all...  Lovely photo, nice boike.

JWestland

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2014, 12:16:26 pm »
Tx ^_^

Clear matt tape may work. I may however go for a foam removable "ugly" as the Gazelle will also be locked up in town.

Never dinged a top tube...but what wasn't, can still be as us Dutchies say.
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

alfie1952

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2014, 06:02:17 pm »
Hi, why not go for the belt and braces remedy, and do both the tape and the ugly, just in case the "ugly" marks you frame.

Regards, Alfie