Author Topic: Another Take on a Chainguard  (Read 2021 times)

Andybg

Matt2matt2002

Re: Another Take on a Chainguard
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 07:34:43 pm »
I thought this has been discussed here before?
Maybe my mind is playing tricks?
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

RobertL

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 09:11:07 pm »
I bought one, please avoid, there is a thread on this but I can't do the link

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 09:33:46 pm »
Right here, Robert (and Matt): http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=2233.msg36225#msg36225

This one is near enough as to be identical to the one that disappointed you. I'm so sorry it was a bust. Many's the time I looked at them wistfully from afar in years past (yes, they've been around since the late 1970s).

It is particularly horrible when such products hold just enough promise to tantalize...then disappoint so thoroughly after purchase. I nearly bit on buying one in the mid-1980s that required super-gluing the ends together and was perforated with holes to release any trapped water...until I realized if the holes also let water in, I was better off with an open chain!

They can be made at home cheaply with plastic electrical wire loom: http://www.ibiketo.ca/blog/chain-cover-will-work-pinch The homegrown versions have the same flaws.

Coincidentally, I just got a call from a friend who fitted a similar type to his fixie last month. It did, indeed, trap the heavy spring rains while parked in the bike rack during the work day; his under-lubed chain rusted orange within a week. He didn't realize it till he pulled it open to see what was going on and discovered all was not well.

Best,

Dan. (...who wishes this sort of chain cover really did work...but they seem to create more troubles than they solve)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 10:40:17 pm by Danneaux »