Author Topic: Folding tyres for tandem spare  (Read 11717 times)

tynevalleycommuter

Folding tyres for tandem spare
« on: November 09, 2005, 02:49:54 pm »
Have recently entered the world of tandeming and so far - great. As we venture further afield, I would like to carry a spare folding tyre for use on road/tracks.

Currently using Ritchey Tom Slick 26 x 1.4 - because I had them in the garage when I built the tandem - and they actually seem quite OK for road at about 85 psi.

If we get onto even longer rides I plan to upgrade to marathons, maybe the 1 3/8 size.

Does anybody have any good suggesions for a folder of similar size that is up to tandem use? Preferably fast running on road but not totally slick.

I was thinking about Vredestein s-lick 1.3 but have read reviews that these are prone to locking up on braking. Any views?

Thanks

David

tynevalleycommuter

Re: Folding tyres for tandem spare
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 10:41:17 am »
Thanks Roadrunner, but the T & C's are not folding as far as I can see and a bit big 'n 'eavy compared with what I am running at the moment.

I have been all through wiggle, ATC,CRC,SJS etc etc and I have  actually found very few 'semi-slick' folders in the 26 x 1.3 - 1.5 range I am interested in, that will also take 85 psi or thereabouts.

The issue is not puncturing, but possible blow out/damage to the tyre itself which I understand can be a problem with the additional loading and wear and tear on tandems. Our all-up weight is probably around 23st [:0]  not counting the tandem itself and before we add panniers!

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
Re: Folding tyres for tandem spare
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 10:33:57 pm »
26x1.5 Panracer Hi-Roads, Panracer are one of the very few that warranty their tyres on tandems, they also have one of the best anti-chafing strips we have seen.