Author Topic: Cycling mags  (Read 10388 times)

ahconway

Cycling mags
« on: November 08, 2005, 03:03:02 pm »
As a young  American cyclist in the 1970s, I waited eagerly for each new issue of Bicycling, the (still!) only road cycling magazine published in the US. During the 70s and 80s, Bicycling was a good, comprehensive magazine that published a wide range of articles on the many facets of the road cycling world (including the birth of ATBs as well!). The road tests were comprehensive and thoughtful, really giving a clear impression of what it's like to ride a particular model.

Towards the end of the 1980s, things went downhill fast, and Bicycling took on the qualities of a US morning "news" programme - all fluff, no thought or substance. Bike reviews became a series of bulleted lists: "Buy this bike if..." and "Don't buy it if..." The magazine I used to read cover to cover all of a sudden stopped producing anything at all of interest to me.

I only think of this because I'm a big fan of Cycling Plus and AtoB, and it amazes me that Bicycling has only gotten worse and worse over the years, while these UK mags are consistently good.

Any thoughts about this? Does it say more about the US vs UK cycling culture, or about the US vs UK publishing world?

Andrew

john28july

Re: Cycling mags
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 08:37:17 am »
Hello,
From 1994 to 2002 I purchased Cycling Plus without missing one issue (episode?). I no longer subascribe but buy on occasion for instance during the Winter for something to read and maybe catch up.
One reason for no longer being a regular purchase is the price, the errors in type and the general reading of it. I once was told by someone who works for Future Publishing (C+) that the contents more or less ran a 18 month to 2 year cycle. In other words after 18 months its all repeats! And so it goes.
The quality of the magazine is good. The content not so good these days. The typing errors and spelling leave much to be desired. If the publication was £2.50 it might be a much more frequently purchased read.
A to B I have been taking for 5 years or so. It was a great read BUT now is going to be my last year with it. Electric power does NOT compute in this house!
Best regards readers....
John.
www.pbase.com/john28july

stevew

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 08:20:18 pm »
I like Velovision

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 01:20:47 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by john28july

In other words after 18 months its all repeats!

It is not just bicycling mags that do this.  I am a keen SCUBA diver. The diving magazines use the exact same trick!

As for cycling mags I like Cycle (CTC Mag) Ok it only has a few articles per an issue but I sill like it

john28july

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 01:35:33 pm »
I have in fact subscribed again to Cycling Plus as the last couple I have read this year have been quite good. I used to take Velovision as mentioned by Steve W above. Just the same as anything really, it got a little repetative.
I buy on occasion Cycling Weekly. It is a results service for Cycle Sport but sometimes has usefull stuff too.
John.
www.pbase.com/john28july

Roberto

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 08:32:50 am »
There were other mags that were quite interesting for those non-competetive cyclists (me included) as On Your Bike or Cycling Today. What has happened to them?

Ashley

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 01:32:18 am »
I orginally bought Cycling+, from what I remember it used to publish frequent touring articles that were really interesting, however it has gradually moved towards the competitve aspect of the cycling, which is fine if you race. Cycling Today was by far the better magazine - sadly missed.
Of the current crop of magazines, I think that Cycle from the CTC is the best. Another alternative is published by Rivendell Bicycles in the US, available as a subscription from their website. It is a little geeky, but a great alternative to eternal pages of dull gear reviews.Now if only Sheldon Brown published a magazine.....

Happy Cycling

Ashley

bukidnon

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 03:15:23 pm »
The two year cycle sounds right.  Sadly, these days, magazines conduct market research and it tells them that readers stay loyal for just a few years, then they have an almost entirely new readership to cater for.  This becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy as the editors opt for superficiality and articles aimed at beginners.  The side-effect is that they drive away old-timers who like to read and learn.

I cannot tolerate C+ in its current guise.  Too many racing bikes.  Not enough adventures.  I also love backpacking but find problems reading more than an issue or two of TGO.

I once subscribed to a magazine called Footloose which gave me exactly what I wanted.  Articles which explained how to take the next step - i.e. from intermediate to expert.  Footloose went bust.  There aren't enough of us.

john28july

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 06:05:40 am »
quote:
Originally posted by bukidnon

The two year cycle sounds right.  Sadly, these days, magazines conduct market research and it tells them that readers stay loyal for just a few years, then they have an almost entirely new readership to cater for.  This becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy as the editors opt for superficiality and articles aimed at beginners.  The side-effect is that they drive away old-timers who like to read and learn.

I cannot tolerate C+ in its current guise.  Too many racing bikes.  Not enough adventures.  I also love backpacking but find problems reading more than an issue or two of TGO.

I once subscribed to a magazine called Footloose which gave me exactly what I wanted.  Articles which explained how to take the next step - i.e. from intermediate to expert.  Footloose went bust.  There aren't enough of us.

Hello,
TGO (The Great Outdoors). I too read only an issue here and there as the Editor is far too Political!
John.
www.pbase.com/john28july