Author Topic: snow again.  (Read 7411 times)

Matt2matt2002

Re: snow again.
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2013, 02:02:45 pm »
Snow joke

Managed 40 miles this morning.
Dumfries and Galloway |south West Scotland UK
Snow had been piled to side of the roads which were remarkably clear. Had to get off and push 4 or 5 times to avoid ice but a good day on the whole.
Drift in picture was 3 foot high. Missed a picture of the next one at 6 foot. :-[
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

JWestland

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2013, 03:25:08 pm »
Ah great tornados, now snow...snow tornado next? :P
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

rualexander

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2013, 03:48:13 pm »
Yesterday's ride south of Glasgow, most roads fairly clear but large snow drifts in exposed sections, there was remarkably little snow cover on the fields but where the hedges had stopped the drifting snow it had piled up deep.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2013, 04:20:57 pm »
Ok, your roads were worse than mine!
Well done my friend.
 ;D

ianshearin

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2013, 04:32:33 pm »
Cycling in the snow.....
Nuts  ;D
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

E-wan

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2013, 05:28:50 pm »
Cycling in the snow.....
Nuts  ;D

I would say fun and necessary, I have had my spiked tyres on my nomad since November and while towing my little boy back from nursery through the park today had much need of them. mixture of powder snow up to a foot deep in places, compacted snow that had turned to ice and slush. It's good exercise towing a trailer through a few inches of snow.

There are also more extreme versions http://www.icebike.org/

Ewan

ianshearin

« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2013, 10:33:11 pm »
The snow thing does look kinda fun, if it wasnt for the biting wind I would be tempted with the right gear.

Respect.
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

John Saxby

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2013, 10:37:50 pm »
Great stuff!  In the words of Alan Price's song, "Just get out there and do it!"

(Searching for excuses, though, he says,) the tough thing about winter riding in the Ottawa area is not so much the snow & the cold as the ice buildup on the roads, esp the secondary ones that are the safest for riding.  There are hardcore riders who use their bikes year-round, but I put mine away in my basement workshop between mid-December and mid-March (or whenever we have the 1st serious snow, and later, clear roads.)  With the snow piled up alongside secondary roads, and drivers frustrated by winter delays, and less space than usual, plus the icy spots, I find it just gets too dangerous.

A friend who used to live in Saskatoon rode his bike year-round--typically, there's so little snow there that winter riding means only having to deal with the cold.  He reckoned he'd sooner ride 5-6 minutes to work at -30 than walk 20-25 minutes in the same temp. Reasonable enuf, in the circumstances. Sunny, tho', and a dry cold...

J.

JWestland

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2013, 10:16:58 am »
My long commute tomorrow is partially over a non gritted greenway...the Mr Spikeys (studded tires) may have to come back on.

I HATE cycling in snow but I am a control freak, when I feel my wheels move I feel uncomfortable. Even though in the back of my head I know that at the speed I am doing with the spikes I won't get dumped off the bike.

Ah well. Each to their own  ;D

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2013, 11:25:35 am »
My long commute tomorrow is partially over a non gritted greenway...the Mr Spikeys (studded tires) may have to come back on.

I HATE cycling in snow but I am a control freak, when I feel my wheels move I feel uncomfortable. Even though in the back of my head I know that at the speed I am doing with the spikes I won't get dumped off the bike.

Ah well. Each to their own  ;D

I know what you mean.
I am only just getting my head around the fact that the last thing you want to do when you hit ice, is to brake.
In fact it may be the last thing you do!
 :'(

JWestland

« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2013, 01:20:25 pm »
Indeed that was my last hairy commute: DON'T BRAKE, DON'T STEER :):)

(is that an 80s rock song title?)

If in doubt, use the back brake gently. It's better than front. With cantilevers braking is generally more gentle and progressive too.

Was glad that was on a tow path though no way I go on icy roads with cars, a swerve may end up rather more painful than you bargain for. #crunchy cyclist