Author Topic: Volvo designs world’s first cyclist-saving automatic brakes  (Read 3566 times)

Andre Jute

Volvo = BIG BROTHER, or the The Cyclist's Best Friend?

Volvo designs world’s first cyclist-saving automatic brakes

"In cities around the world, bicyclists and motorists have an uneasy relationship, what with more vehicles powered by pedals and fossil fuels taking up the same space. In the United States, about 52,000 cyclists a year are injured in crashes, with 612 dying in 2010 according to federal statistics. In an attempt to give cyclists a fighting chance, Volvo will soon fit a system to new models that scans the road ahead for cyclists — and automatically slams the brakes if the car's about to strike one."

The rest of the article is at:

http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/volvo-designs-world-first-cyclist-saving-automatic-brakes-211750599.html

This is a bit of a cheek on Volvo's part. What's the point of buying a Volvo if it doesn't look after Number One first? I've always had Volvos, for my wife of course, because the only one I liked driving was the one to which I fitted a small block Chevy motor, but I don't think I want Volvo to spend my money on other road users. I like to choose which cyclists I miss.

Your mileage may vary.

Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Volvo designs world’s first cyclist-saving automatic brakes
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 01:50:53 am »
I like to choose which cyclists I miss.

!

That would be a uh, "hit-or-miss" proposition, right?  ;D

All the best,

Dan. (...who dreads hearing that "kahlump-kahlump" noise firsthand)

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 05:35:39 am »
That would be a uh, "hit-or-miss" proposition, right?  ;D

Depends which side of the bed I get out of in the morning. Some days it could be hit or miss, some days it can be outright gumball rally. ;D

Have you ever asked why there are almost no cyclists except my mates in West Cork?

Andre Jute

jags

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 04:05:40 pm »
wait until there all lined up and then attack  ;D ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 04:32:20 pm »
The local drivers figure there's extra points for an entire peloton in one go...

(not that you need the suggestions to up your score)

All the best,

Dan. (...who did wonder about that "absence of cyclists in West Cork" thing)

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 06:59:23 pm »
I suppose we should be serious. Just for a moment...

I welcome anything that makes cyclists safer on the road. Especially from Volvo drivers. I can't wait to find the same electronic cyclist-minding gizmo on Range Rovers and am heartened that both Volvo and Range Rover are part of Ford's Premium division, which should speed the spread of the technology.

Andre Jute

Andybg

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 07:04:52 pm »
I think Range Rover left the Ford stable a few years ago now but it is good to see some safety measures being introduced non the less.

Andy

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 07:33:53 pm »
Iduhnno, Andre.

I'm of two minds about electronic gee-whizzardry in automobiles and trucks. On the one hand, things like lane-departure warnings and blind-spot detectors are helpful...but I think they may encourage over-dependence on gadgets to the exclusion of basic *watchfulness*. My '89 Honda Civic si has not a single cup-holder (Ol' Man Soichiro figured you ought to be *driving* when behind the wheel or a sporting Honda, not dining), and the compete absence of such devices makes me watchful at a more involved level. A passenger recently opined my head swiveled like it was on a stick -- well, yeah. I *always*always*always* make a physical glance back before making a right turn, so I won't be doing it over an unseen cyclist. The right-hand and rearview mirrors do not catch everything, even on a car with 319° of outward vision, as Honda's ads of the day proclaimed.

On the other hand, I don't see the clock turning back, and people are ever more distracted while behind the wheel, so if the vehicle can take over some of the "watching" duties -- and put on the brakes -- so much the better, I suppose. Of course, they have to compete with cell-phoning in the car, installed and watched (!) television monitors in the visors and rearview mirror, keying directional requests into the GPS, aerobically disciplining children in the backseat, smoking, and eating. There's not enough hands and arms left to drive.

I'm not really grumpy about it, despite how it may sound. When I was out on the Nomad yesterday, everyone behaved well and was alert while driving and not an active TV monitor in sight. A great day!

Best,

Dan.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 05:57:53 pm »
On further thought...

A pretty remarkable system, looking like a variant on camera face-detection systems and smile-shutters.

On the other hand, human nature being what it is...

If the Volvo cyclist-braking system comes to fruition, how long do you think it'll be before thrill-seeking adrenaline junkies make darting in front of Volvos an informal sporting event?

Best,

Dan. (...who thinks if there's a system, somebody will game it)

julk

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 07:51:31 pm »

On the other hand, human nature being what it is...

If the Volvo cyclist-braking system comes to fruition, how long do you think it'll be before thrill-seeking adrenaline junkies make darting in front of Volvos an informal sporting event?

Dan,
I hope not (as an aged driver of an aged Volvo), my reactions might not be quick enough and the Volvo would win :(
Julian.

Andre Jute

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 02:17:16 am »
I was once sitting quite still in my wife's Volvo Estate at a T junction in Cambridge (that's in East Anglia, on the River Cam, not the place where that quite good little missionary school is outside Boston in Massachusetts) when a trailer truck turned short and ran over the bonnet (hood) with all it's offside wheels. I tried to back up but the woman behind me froze with her foot hard on the brake, so the front of her car was totalled as I skidded it back with the tanklike rear of the Volvo. There was about £150's worth of damage to the Volvo, not much considering both sides had been in the wars, but the truck was immobilized because it's tank was split, hundreds of gallons of diesel on the road, and the car behind, a Cortina, was totaled. A young policeman said to me, "The Volvo always wins."

I won't be darting in front of Volvos. Those things are always on the options list and you never know who got a case of the cheapies.

JWestland

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 02:29:29 pm »
As Jeremy Clarkson once wrote: if suicide bombers used Volvos instead of bombs their target would still be destroyed but they would live :D

After the third near side swipe this year on a give way to me junction I'd welcome a side radar or alternatively a pair of F-ing eyes for motorists One motorist apologised lesson learned no doubt he and wife more careful but last one an utter ^**** who went on to jump red light 200 metera down road

Cars that drive themselves perhaps? ;)
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

jags

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 03:35:31 pm »
i used to own a honda civic exactly the same model as Dan's  ;D
i wrote it off at a race one day guy in front decided to turn right down a lane 
never indicated anyway the car was a total writeoff i could not believe the amount of damage . ;D
so be warned dan those lovely honda civics are not great when it comes to bumping into things. ::)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 03:43:15 pm »
so be warned dan those lovely honda civics are not great when it comes to bumping into things.
<nods> Ever so true, jags.

Lightweight (about the same as a current Lotus Elise), check.
Wonderful fuel economy (33/44mpg), check.
Reasonable acceleration (0-60mph in 8.0sec), check.
Good handling with double A-arms at all corners, check.
Crash resistance...equivalent to an aluminum beer can.

Best,

Dan. (...who unfortunately has been there, done that in an earlier model...but it got him cycling for rehab from the results, so yay!)