Author Topic: What have I got?  (Read 4444 times)

Matt2matt2002

What have I got?
« on: March 09, 2013, 02:48:46 pm »
Slowly working my way through the bits on my Old Bird and came to the chain.
Looks in good condition.

Looked for a link to remove it and couldn't see one

Looked at the sides of the chain and see the following on each link.
Germany at one end and Rohloff at the other
so far so good

Then on one side is I think 66 or GG
and under that is 1 7 5 or 1 7 6

Any thoughts folks?

I couldn't see a similar one advertised on the SJS site

Is no link a problem? I have had the rear wheel off to tinker with the rear guard fitting ( this is an on going project folks) and removing the chain was no problem.

If it broke what would I need to fix it?

Sometimes I have a bit of spare cash to splash on the bike - so recommendations for a replacement?

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: What have I got?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 04:25:20 pm »
Hi Matt!

I believe you have a Rohloff S-L-T 99 chain, described in full here: http://www.rohloff.de/en/products/s_l_t_99/index.html

Sub-links with individualized descriptions for each model of that chain are here:
Road: http://www.rohloff.de/en/products/s_l_t_99/road/index.html
MTB: http://www.rohloff.de/en/products/s_l_t_99/mtb/index.html
Trial: http://www.rohloff.de/en/products/s_l_t_99/trial/index.html

Unfortunately, these chains are no longer available.

Best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 07:49:01 pm »
Thanks Dan
Amazing video showing how the chains are made.
I will have even more respect for mine now.

Moving along....
Personal recommendations for a replacement?

I have always used chains with rejoinable clips up until now. But am I correct in thinking the Raven will take a chain that comes as a loop? The adjustment being made by the eccentric (?) bottom bracket?

I am using a 16 38 combo.

Will chains require a link or 2 removed in order to fit correctly?
This question has occurred to me when I have considered changing the front cog.
I find I could do with a few more mph on the flats.
However, since I plan to tour later this year, I will probably keep the set up as is.

Guess there are some posts already here about that and slack/ tension?

Matt - looking forward to some more chain-mail

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 07:57:24 pm »
Guess there are some posts already here about that and slack/ tension?
Yep.  ;D  Go to the Rohloff Internal Hub Gears Board and -- once there -- enter "chain" (no quotes) in the Search box and hit ENTER. That's the simple way. To get even more, tarteged results, see my little tutorial on effectively searching the Forum, here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4390.0

As for chain tensioning with the eccentric, here's one example among many: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=5569.0

Best chain for Rohloff?: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=1040.0

Ah, the Forum is a wonderful resource!

Yes, most new chains will be too long and will require the removal of several links. A well-worn chain may require the removal of an additional link or two so the EBB can take up the slack. Link removal is accomplished with a chain tool. The little connecting link you're thinking of is for convenience in removing and refitting a chain that has already been sized. These can be purchased separately and added at any time; just be sure to get one that matches the width (speeds designation) of your chain.

All the best,

Dan.

julk

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 09:46:34 pm »
Matt,
If that Rohloff chain is in good condition and long enough then keep it on the bike - you will have difficulty matching it for quality.
You just need a chain splitter tool if you want to remove it.
Julian.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2013, 12:49:09 am »
Thanks Julian.
It appears it's a good chain so I will keep it on.

Re your comment about removing it......
When I had the rear wheel off, the chain came away fine. I didn't remove it from the front single cog but i could have. Does this mean I do not need a splitter?

If I wanted to clean the chain I could remove it as one long loop.

What would I need to shorten it by one or 2 links should it stretch?

Thanks for your comments

Matt

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 01:25:58 am »
Hi Matt!

It may not be obvious, but while the chain is still in one big, connected loop...it is captured by the chainstay and cannot be removed from the bike. When you look carefully at the chain, you can see part of the loop is inside the chainstay and part of it is outside -- the chainstay passes through the center of the loop.

Yes, you can remove it from the cog and even the chainring, but you cannot remove it from the bike (say, to clean it) without splitting it. Once split, the length of chain will come free of the frame and can be cleaned.

You can do it the first time with a chain splitter and thereafter with a separate quick-link for convenience if you'd prefer.

If the chain stretches (it doesn't really "stretch", rather, it wears between links and bushings enough to become longer), you can take up the slack by loosening the bolts under the eccentric bottom bracket and rotating the eccentric forward. If this is still not enough to tension the chain properly, then you can remove a link (really a link-pair, of one inner and one outer) and again fiddle with the eccentric to get the tension right.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Dan. (...who finds not everything is obvious on a bicycle)

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 02:50:03 am »
Matt, don't split that chain until you absolutely have to. The ends of the pins are peened over. A chain you've split and rejoined in a chain splitter (even Rohloff's own Revolver) is always weaker, which is why Dan wants you to insert a quicklink. The problem with a quicklink is that in inexperienced hands it is anything but quick and may be totally obstructive.

Get a bottle of Oil of Rohloff, apply a few drops only to the inside of the chain, wipe the outside of the chain only, and don't worry about any "thorough" cleaning, especially with solvents of any kind getting inside the chain.

This is a quality chain, with quality grease applied at the factory, and on the inside of the chain it lasts a very long time. You dip it in solvent, all you're doing is washing out the good stuff -- and washing in grit. Just add a thin line of Oil of Rohloff to the inside of the chain, as necessary.

Andre Jute

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 08:24:51 am »
Thanks chaps. Good advice I will heed. And I'll take another look at the chain with the back wheel off. I could have sworn it would have come away.
Guess I was concentrating too much on that pesky rear guard.
Whoever fits them at SJS really earns their money!

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2014, 11:01:58 am »
Chain is still running well but thinking of buying a missing link or 2 as back-up.
I may consider shortening the chain since the slack is considerable with the EBB fully adjusted.

I see from the Rohloff bumph on my SLT 99 chain that the width is 6.8 mm.
I cannot find on ebay or SJS any links that size.
Does size matter?
Will a 7.10 mm do?

Also, any thoughts on the Caliber 2 chain wear indicator 3000?
Looks a a lot money for what it is.
£18+

Thanks folks

Matt

After reading some posts here, I decided to go with the KMC X1. The ebay seller is going to throw in a couple of quick links. But I would still be interested to know about the correct link required for my present chain. 6.8 or 7.10?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 04:55:38 pm by Matt2matt2002 »

julk

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2014, 04:55:00 pm »
Matt,
I have just tried a bit of spare Rohloff chain with an 8 speed connex link by wippermann from SJS.
It fitted fine.
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/wippermann-connex-61-mm-8-speed-connex-link-each-prod16128/
ignore the 6.1 size in the title it must be a typo as it states in the description that it fits an 8 speed chain and mine definitely do.

My chain measures just under 6.8 mm for outer plates chain width, a 7.1 is not going to fit unless it is measuring the pin length rather than the fitted outer plates width.

The Caliber 2 is a fine piece of kit, but unless you are using it to measure chain wear for a derailleur setup you are wasting money for a Rohloff setup.
Rohloff transmissions run straight and for a long time. Wear is visible by chain sag or tooth shape changing.
Take up chain sag by eccentric adjustment and/or chain link removal. You may be able to reverse the sprocket/chainring for more life.
Replace chain and/or sprockets/chainring only when it all finally stops working - which will be in a long time.

Rohloffs cost a lot to acquire, but very little to use - the opposite way round to what you may have been used to.
Julian.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 05:03:28 pm by julk »