Author Topic: Bottle Cages  (Read 19092 times)

Andybg

Bottle Cages
« on: March 09, 2013, 06:02:11 am »
Thorught I would start a new topic on this one as I couldn't find a suitable one to tag it on to. Am looking at some new bottle cages for the Nomad.

I would like to be able to carry a variety of containers:

Standard drings bottle (stainless steel)
Small diameter (75mm) thermos flask (again stainless steel)

I have used both the Thorn advised profile design cages and a selction of cheap bottle cages. The aspect I do not like about ny of them so far is the scratch the containers.

I am currently looking at the Topeak Modula Java which is designed to carry thermo coffee cups and has the benefit of both adjustability and an adjustable rubber strap for tensioning.

The only downsides that are holding me back are:

1) Availability - SJS only have 2 and everywhere else seems to have sold out as it looks to be discontinued (not a good sign)
2) The max adjustment would not allow the possibility in the future of carrying a 1.5 litre water bottle if the need arose.

I like the design idea of the Salsa Anything but cannot find a similar design in something less industrial.

Anybody have any other suggestions. - I never drink on the bike so "difficult removal would not be an issue.

I have considered just carrying drinks in the saddle bag but feel I must be able to do something usefull with all that wasted space - maybe a custom frame bag (quick power up the industrial sewing machine and get the canvas out)

Andy

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Bottle Cages
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 07:20:33 am »
Hi Andy!

The nearest thing I can think of to meet your needs would be the UK-made BikeBuddy: http://www.bikebuddy.co.uk/

At its most basic, it is a couple of bands that fasten 'round your container...and then those bands slide via a sort of keyhole mounts onto your bottle bosses.

The bands can be attached to a variety of containers, and those can be swapped among and between your mounts.

Some user reviews are here:
http://b1ke.wordpress.com/cycle-touring-accessories/bike-buddy-bottle-carrier/
http://2cycle2gether.com/2010/06/review-the-bikebuddy/#.UTrhc71Kjcw
http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=48565

The only drawback might be they have their own sort of "Industrial" look, but even that might alright if they allow for complete functionality. I've been considering the Salsa Anythings (in black of course) to accommodate the odd-shaped bottle while on-tour. Gatorade and other sports drinks often come in bottles that are uniquely shaped to reflect the brand and won't fit in my Blackburn 1.5l "Bomber" cages, so having one other option among the three might not be a bad idea.

A last thought: The Bike Buddy makes a really nice carrier for fuel bottles that never seem to properly fit any of the commercial cages on the market.

Oh yes! The Topeak Modula Javas are readily available from REI here in the 'States: http://www.rei.com/search?query=bottle+cage ...and... http://www.rei.com/product/814984/topeak-modula-java-cage for USD$15.95 each.

Hope this helps, Andy.

All the best,

Dan.

rualexander

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 07:44:29 am »
I recently got a Monkii Cage and Clip and extra Cleats, primarily for my Brompton but have also put cleats on one position on my other bikes.
It can hold any size bottles up to 1.5l.
It seems a good system and you can also get small pouch bags to fit to the same cleats.
Only minor drawback is removing the bottle from the cage while moving is tricky, or at least putting it back is.
You can just pull the whole bottle and cage together from the cleat, take your drink, then replace but it requires a bit more accuracy than is easy while riding.
http://www.freeparable.com/monkiicage

Available on ebay in the UK here http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/cycle-miles/m.html?item=221196066001&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l256

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 08:07:28 am »
I fitted a Bike Buudy this week. Bit of a fiddle partly due to a poor copy of instructions and also perhaps a more significant  factor.
It is built to take large bottles and as a consequence it sits quite low in the V of the frame. This made it impossible to use the second bottle cage in the V. The bottoms of the bottles over lapping.

I fitted my own adaption to part of the Buddy and now the 2 liter bottle sits slightly higher thus allowing the second bottle to be used.

Pictures own another computer, so will follow later today.

But it is a good piece of kit if you need to carry large bottles.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Andybg

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 08:37:44 am »
Thanks for the pointers guys.

The monkey looks very usefull and I like the fact it is easy to change from one bottle to another but the bike buddy definetly looks the business. My only concern would be the clamps "crushing" an empty plastic bottle but that is only a small downside.

Not the most easy to use website but looks like another spend on the bike may be on its way

ANdy

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 09:06:57 am »
Various pictures I have sent to the Bike Budy folk asking for their oppinion.
Maybe I have made an error in assembling the unit
Picture 1 shows how it fits after shortening the bottom stay. This raises the bottle upwards thus allowing the second holder in the V of the frame to be used.

Hope this helps

Matt

Andybg

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 10:02:50 am »
Hi Matt

How do you find the security of the fitting on the plastic bottle when the bottle is empty?

Andy

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 11:34:32 am »
Hi Matt

How do you find the security of the fitting on the plastic bottle when the bottle is empty?

Andy

Good point Andy.
Just had a nice reply from the BikeBuddy folk.
They mention using a thicker walled bottle such as Highland spring since as the fluid decreases the walls can collapse on thiner bottles
Quote...
When using a commercial plastic bottle be aware that as the contents deplete the tension on the springs will lessen which could result in them flying off the cradles. You need a bottle which can withstand the spring pressure, even when empty. One bottle which appears to be stronger than most is the Highlands Spring Water bottle.

They also addressed the problem of fitting 2 bottles into the V of the frame
Thank you for your comments.
On the back of your instruction sheet there should be a drawing of ALTERNATIVE END STOPS, which assist where multi bottle set ups are envisaged.

Nice folk and I felt like I was being helped by someone who designed and manufactured their own product.
Rare nowadays

Matt

julk

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 09:41:52 pm »
Bikebuddy are very helpful.
I was having difficulty fitting a fuel bottle under the down tube using a Mk3 Bike Buddy - the eccentric bottom bracket shell stuck out too much for the Buddy to fit.
The nice chap at BikeBuddy altered the bottom end of my Bike Buddy so that it would fit further up the down tube, not quite reaching the eccentric shell.
Julian.

Andybg

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 10:32:11 am »
Have just about decided to go with rualexandra's suggestion of the Monkii Cage. The flexibility of being able to use "any" bought bottle increases its use. I can see the Bike Buddy being perfect for touring when you have a set of bottles you are going to keep using time and time again but for me being able to stop at a shop, buy a bottle of water and then being able to mount it on the frame with minimal messing around wins the day. Planning on buying 3 cages and then extra mounts for the other bikes so will report on my findings.

Andy

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 11:19:55 am »
Ru - good find! I like the look of the Monkii Cage and clip system. Adaptable, can mount several types of bottle/bags/toolkit. Can move it from bike to bike. It is a very clever system. I like the idea that it can hold a Thermos flask - the Profile Design cages are excellent but my smallish Thermos is not properly held in place. The BikeBuddy will hold it securely but have that permanently attached to my fuel bottle.

The BikeBuddy Mk 3 seems to be the best choice for securely holding a fuel bottle. Initially the L-shaped bracket sent was too long and Robert at BikeBuddy replaced it free of charge with a Type B . Great service!

Picture shows the BikeBuddy in place holding a 1 litre bottle.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 11:22:43 am by StuntPilot »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 12:43:19 pm »
Ru - good find! I like the look of the Monkii Cage and clip system. Adaptable, can mount several types of bottle/bags/toolkit. Can move it from bike to bike. It is a very clever system. I like the idea that it can hold a Thermos flask - the Profile Design cages are excellent but my smallish Thermos is not properly held in place. The BikeBuddy will hold it securely but have that permanently attached to my fuel bottle.

The BikeBuddy Mk 3 seems to be the best choice for securely holding a fuel bottle. Initially the L-shaped bracket sent was too long and Robert at BikeBuddy replaced it free of charge with a Type B . Great service!

Picture shows the BikeBuddy in place holding a 1 litre bottle.

Replaced it for free! :o
He just emailed me he want £3 for replacements
 >:(

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 02:05:38 pm »
I had quite a bit of hassle getting a payment through via PayPal for some reason. I had to get PayPal involved with a few messages back and forward to them to sort the problem out. Robert said ...

"Will send a type 'B' end stop in the morning with our compliments. I think you've had enough hassle!"

:-\
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 02:07:48 pm by StuntPilot »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 02:57:28 pm »
I had quite a bit of hassle getting a payment through via PayPal for some reason. I had to get PayPal involved with a few messages back and forward to them to sort the problem out. Robert said ...

"Will send a type 'B' end stop in the morning with our compliments. I think you've had enough hassle!"

:-\

They just got £3 out of me!
Nice piece of kit but I would have thought they would have thrown in the end bits for free.
9 out of 10 now instead of 10 out of 10

Andybg

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 07:14:07 pm »
Have ordered 3 of the Monkii cages and 5 extra sets of the attachments to fit on other bikes so will give an update on their operation once I fit them.

Nice company to deal with

Andy