Author Topic: Kindle G3 "Keyboard", smart leather case, thick wrinkle-free screen protector  (Read 1919 times)

Andre Jute

Kindle 3rd Gen with 3G, Wi-fi, etc, now called the Kindle Keyboard.

The two best things about it are the battery life when it is used only for reading and the screen, which you can read only if there is light because it has no backlight. It's a matt screen; it doesn't glare. If the light is dim, you just make the characters bigger. It's a good reading device. The promised free connection to the internet is a joke, so frustratingly slow that I've never managed to do as much as send a single email. The space on this Kindle for a gazillion books is a come-on; if you actually load up lots of books (hundreds or thousands), it runs the battery down auto-indexing them. It's small and lightweight and simple to use for reading.

My Kindle was intended for editing books rather than reading them but I now use an iPad, and the Kindle has become surplus to requirements, simply because the devices duplicate each other.

I read on this forum that some people use a Kindle as their net connection during their big tour and marvel at their patience. I'd smash the thing in frustration on day one. I wouldn't even try it. I think it would be far smarter to get a good smartphone with a waterproof case for reading, email, gps, etc, and fit a USB charger on the bike to keep it working.

However, if you already have a GPS and a phone, and just want a good reader, this Kindle is the business; there is no better reader, precisely because it is so dedicated to reading.

My Kindle 3G was bought for over 300 Euro including the most expensive and elegant TufLove case, and a thick wrinkle-free screen protector; it is pristine, little used, in the original packing, with all documentation and a set of novels by me and chums. It is for sale at 200 Euro posted.

DON'T DROP ME PM THROUGH THE BOARD -- that somehow ends up in a spam trap -- WRITE TO ME INSTEAD AT andrejute@coolmainpress.com

Andre Jute