Author Topic: New Brakes  (Read 2531 times)

Andybg

New Brakes
« on: March 07, 2013, 04:45:48 pm »
Just spent an hour and changed the old Nomad over from Avid Shorty canti brakes to a set of deore v brakes along with Cane Creek drop brake levers. Spent my time and set everything up just right (or rightish) and now for the first time on that bike I actually have brakes rather than some things that generally slow the bike down a bit, well maybe.

I am sure the problem I had with the cantis was mainly down to set up and poor pads as I have a set of Suntour canti brakes which (not set up by me) are fantastic.

Next investment will be some koolstop salmon pads and maybe even some cross top brake levers and then maybe an accessory bar cos I can fit one now and then maybe............it just goes on and on

Andy

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: New Brakes
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 05:00:33 pm »
...it just goes on and on
Doesn't it though! Y'd think a bike would finally be made that doesn't need things, but no...!

So glad to hear the brakes are working well at last, Andy. Based on my use with a variety or brakes and rims over the last 35 years or so, I think the Kool-Stop salmon-colored pads will add an additional increment of braking power to what you now have, as well as being kinder to the rims.

Do be warned: Cross-top interrupter levers are mildly addictive. I'd never had a set before installing them on Sherpa and after that...well, I *had* to have a set for the Nomad. They are ideal for going down steep inclines and needing to brake at the same time, as they allow you to keep your weight rearward, over the saddle to prevent pitchover.

And Thorn's Accessory T-bars...! One of the best-kept secrets in cycling. Incredible utility and sturdiness for so little weight.

Best,

Dan. (...whose own bike development becomes amazingly static once the initial setup process is done and passed)

Andybg

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 05:16:17 pm »
While I was at it I changed over the front brake from the right brake lever to the left. I had been planning this for a couple of reasons

1. I want to be able to change the rear der gear while applying the most powerful brake.
2. I think the design of v brakes is set up better to have the front brake cable coming from the left.

Just need to get used to the setup and then change the other bikes over to match

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 05:23:05 pm »
While I was at it I changed over the front brake from the right brake lever to the left.
Getting ready to tour America with Danneaux, I see.... Not a bad choice for Bulgaria, either; same kind of ride-on-right roads.

Best,

Dan. (...who thinks right-hand/rear brake facilitates left-hand-signals when riding on the right...right?)

jags

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 06:23:58 pm »
i always set my brakes the Italian way left  for front right for rear .
the kool stop salmon are very good as is my Paul Canti brakes ,to be honest i like a soft ish brake feel still loads left on he leaver but i dont like a brake that beds itself in as soon as you apply the brake  if that makes sense. ;D

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 08:17:12 am »
Get the most out of your Canti-Brake, and V-Brake's too!

http://www.blackmtncycles.com/2013/03/get-most-out-of-your-canit-brake.html

Canti brakes set up right are just as powerful as V brakes, if you read this in full you will find your V brakes work better  8)

Pete . . .
 ;)

The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

Andybg

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 08:41:07 am »
Thanks Pete

If only it was as simple as reading the article - it is the getting them set up right afterwards that is the trick. The Avid Shortys were operated by one of those shimano cables where a seperate cables between the two brakes is not used. I dont really like the design and think a lot of the difficulty in set up is there.

My cantis on the exp are excellent so do agree they can be very good

Andy