Author Topic: chainring life, Thorn still seems best  (Read 1709 times)

justin

chainring life, Thorn still seems best
« on: March 03, 2013, 03:14:56 pm »

Having run Rohloff through about 18000 km and in that time got through three chinrings, three sprockets and about eighteen chains, I conclude that that the Thorn chanring outlasts Race-Face brand 7075 alloy ring when ridden in the same conditions.  (I Guess thorn is also 7075 alloy).

Sadly I didn't get picture of the last set I changed, but last time , my (then) Raceface 7075 chainring was in simailar condition to the Rohloff sprocket. (ie loosing teeth). Given my current shortage of funds I might even be keeping this Thorn chainring to run on another knackered chain or two  :D

Items below have done about 4500KM, been reversed once and shot through six KMC Z610HX chains out to >>1% (three per "side" so to speak, circulated till shot).

It's gritty round these parts, so squeaky-clean road riders might ignore this punishing test!

geocycle

Re: chainring life, Thorn still seems best
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 03:28:24 pm »
That's one very warn sprocket!  I'm amazed its only done 4500 km!  Never seen wear like that, even from folks crossing deserts, it just shows what a difference conditions make.  I do off road miles but not had anything like that.  Interested to see the chain ring wear is differential.  Some sections are warn more than others which must be due to some harmonic in the gearing?

il padrone

Re: chainring life, Thorn still seems best
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2013, 10:07:18 pm »
Crikey justin!! Whereabouts are you and what sorts of trails or roads are you riding?

My drivetrain is just now in need of rotation, after 14,000kms. The current chain has done 6,000kms and I have swapped off two other chains that have each done 3,000kms and still have plenty of life yet. The chainring and sprocket can be rotated now and should last at least until 20,000lms.

I do a lot of road riding, but this has also include a good measure of bush track touring with over 1000kms of desert sandy and gravel roads.