Author Topic: ipad forum app support  (Read 7189 times)

E-wan

ipad forum app support
« on: February 27, 2013, 09:05:07 pm »
would it Be possible to add a plugin to the forum to allow the iPad app tapatalk To be used, as This would make the use of an iPad a lot easier When accessing the forum.

the plugin can be found here
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2504

Matt2matt2002

Re: ipad forum app support
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 09:17:55 pm »
I use the iPad for this forum and find it OK. What isn't working that should work?
What's tapatalk?

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 09:45:36 pm »
Thanks for the link, Ewan; I think it definitely merits a close look and consideration.

There are a number of features and enhancements also available in later versions of the SMF Forum software, and it is tempting to do a version upgrade. However, my predecessors have preferred to keep the Forum basic, as it requires minimal user adaptation and enhances reliability (plug-ins and mods can become unstable over time, hence the preference for a minimal system). I have only made security updates on my watch for that reason.

It is my feeling that smart phones and tablets are increasingly common means for accessing online services, and can no longer be ignored. On the plus side, he Tapatalk Forum software would cause minimal disruption (it is transparent to those members who don't use it) and it appears extremely stable and is used successfully by over 45,000 SMF-powered Fora.

Ewan, can you tell me...are there any basic Forum functions that just aren't working for you on your iPad? In other words, does the Forum work "OK" now, but would work "better" for you if Tapatalk were installed (I have read the feature set carefully, and it appears it would make the Forum more facile for viewing on a mobile platform as a result of restructuring content is presented on those platforms). Alternatively, have you played with the Modification options under your Profile? That can help a bit in making the Forum appear "differently" on other devices.

Thanks; I'll definitely look into it!

Best,

Dan.

ianshearin

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 04:27:58 am »
I only use an iPad to view this forum, easy to have the iPad on my knee when watching TV and browse when the adverts are on  :P
I have not experienced any issues and find it very convenient.
The tapatalk does look like an improvement though and possibly would be better for smartphone users as it looks like it reformats the screen for better viewing on a small phone screen.
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 07:42:48 am »
E-wan will be the expert on this but a couple of personal notes may be of interest.

I have recently started using an iPad to read the forum on my exercise machines. Reading is okay but could be improved by reformatting so that you can make the text bigger without running out of width. Preferably reformatting under my control or flexible, not just to a fixed narrower column. I notice that the Kindleboards, another forum I belong to, programmed by a most thoughtful chap called Harvey who does an excellent job, makes the Tapatalk plug-in a requirement.

Andre Jute

E-wan

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 11:02:59 am »
The main reason for using a dedicated mobile app that I can see is that it allows you to more easily customise the text size, find your posts and follow threads of intrest.  I guess its OK to just use Safari on an ipad but I find making the text bigger helps for me as I am dyslexic.

Also forum apps like tapatalk can also be used on an android phone or iphone which makes browsing the forum a lot easier than using a browser on a small screen.

Just my thoughts but thought some others might find it helpful too..

Ewan