Author Topic: The Upstand: Kickstand/Click-Stand alternative for light bikes  (Read 15532 times)

jags

Re: The Upstand: Kickstand/Click-Stand alternative for light bikes
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2013, 09:00:41 pm »
Cheers Bob ,just that i bought a lightweight stool from the states which cost 10  dollors but 25 for postage. ??? wasn't takin the chance again.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 09:05:54 pm »
Jags,

I just checked again, and BobS is spot-on for Click-Stand's postage; I can't beat it for you.

Quick man! Get thee a Click-Stand for your Sherpa!

You do have to accurately measure according to their directions to realize the best results. By the way, I use a tennis ball with a hole in it when parking on soft soils. The Click-Stand end goes in the hole and the ball rolls around and self-centers under the stand, the widening surface area preventing the end from sinking -- the one achilles heel of the product. The ball did the trick for me. A can lid will also work, or a handy rock found on-site where you wish to park. Failing all that, you can still stick the bike to the ground with gravity as the glue.

All the best,

Dan.

il padrone

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 09:56:32 pm »
Too fragile from the looks of it - Clickstands rule OK !

Too fragile ?!! Now you'd be speaking with experience there I guess? Or are you talking about this Upstand thing?

I've been using a Greenfield rear-stay kickstand since about 2003. When I bought it the guy at the shop said "you'll probably break it in a year - most people do". It's still in use 10 years on, and its been used on many tours with a fully-loaded bike. The Pletscher Multi-zoom is easier to tailor the fit to your bike, with its adjustable foot, which also gives a much better stand in soft surfaces - larger foot does not sink in. The Pletscher did break on me after 18 months of use, but that was under great duress when I had been loading the bike with 45-60kgs of gear in outback Central Australia - not exactly your typical touring.

In my experience these stands are far from fragile, but the one thing they are is always there. One thing I don't want to do is to faff about packing and unpacking a Clickstand.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:04:04 pm by il padrone »

Peddrov

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 10:07:30 pm »
Sorry for hijacking the thread, but does anyone have any experience with bicyclick? It's a handlebar mounted stand for two or more bikes. Interested in this since I'm planning a long tour with my gf and this seems pretty clever. Not sure if it would work with fully loaded bikes though.

Their website is pretty basic but it has a link to their FB page with some pictures and videos.

http://www.bicyclick.com

Philipp

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 10:12:10 pm »
Gentlemen,

Here's the way the popular options play out for bike self-parking:

Gravity, both horizontal and upright: Either glue the bike to the ground with it or lean against a fixed object. Can't fall over with the first but can be stepped on, can fall over with the second. Nothing to carry and no cheaper alternative. If upright, works best with at least one brake locked and care used in leaning.

Kickstand, either at the rear stays or the BB (single or double legged for the latter): Always there, instantly deployable, amazingly sturdy, can be fitted with a plastic or rubber foot to prevent sinking. Can cause frame damage at clamp for some, particularly at BB location. Voids Thorn frame warranty.

Click-Stand: Lightweight, must be stored and deployed taking about 15 sec. each way, very good bracing angle, sinks in soft soil, requiring rock/tennis ball, can lid, or FatFoot attachment for those conditions. Brakes must be locked. Approved by Thorn, keeps warranty intact.

Y'pays your money, makes your choice, and takes your chances.

'Never tried the Bicyclick, but have often done something similar when two drop-handlebar bikes are present, using a spare toe strap to fasten the drops together and block-up the front brakes to prevent rolling -- instant bike tripod! Very nice in livestock country and open range...cows don't always watch where they step, and horizontal bike wheels sometimes pay the price.

All the best,

Dan.

[EDIT: Will add that some means to keep the bike upright is very helpful for solo un/packing in the absence of something to lean against, and bike bags and bearings are both happier in the rain if the bike remains upright. The lot also stays a bit cleaner than when laid on the ground, but is more visible. Upright also means the fally-downy thing is always a possibility.]
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 10:18:46 pm by Danneaux »

il padrone

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2013, 10:29:56 pm »
Kickstand, either at the rear stays or the BB.....

.... Voids Thorn frame warranty.

This still perplexes me  ???

1. I have had kickstands on several bikes for many years, with no frame damage.

2. Many European brands include a kickstand as routine. Some have kickstand plates on the frame, but certainly not all.

3. My Nomad is described by Thorn as being as a frame specifically built for strength, not a lightweight. A kickstand is going to damage it?

Are Thorn saying that their frames are more fragile than other makers? I have a stay-mount kickstand, used for 2 years. Due to my conservative tightening at first, to prevent tube damage, it has rubbed a bit of paint off. The frame will survive this (I've touched it up) and I don't intend to make any warranty claim for my own foolishness. But I do wonder how would Thorn react on their warranty if the frame failed at say, the seat cluster? Blame it on the kickstand - "no warranty" ???

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 01:47:30 am »
Kickstand, either at the rear stays or the BB.....

.... Voids Thorn frame warranty.

This still perplexes me  
Hi Pete!

Thorn explain their position here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/FAQ/prop.pdf

Nothing is infallible: Click-Stands can sink in soft soil and spill the bike, too. One has to survey the surface and then take reasonable preventive measures (can lid, FatFoot, tennis ball) to ensure success in those particular conditions. Just as with a frame-mounted kickstand, it'll work well the majority of time and poorly on occasion. When those occasions appear more likely than not, I lay the bike down or lean it against something instead.

A number of the damaged frames given to me by the friend with the used-bike shop had brazed-on kickstand brackets. Most were fine, but three had been torqued off the frame. My guess is the damage was caused by people balancing atop the bike with the kickstand deployed, way overloading the connection. I know some European makers specifically forbid installing a kickstand to such brazed-on brackets if a touring load is to be supported; the disclaimer is included as part of their (translated) warranty conditions. They think it too likely for failure to occur and want to indemnify themselves against what they see as greater risk. Since in many cases these brackets replace the chainstay bridge, a failure can compromise frame structure. A couple of those damaged examples tore out a small chunk or two of chainstay steel along with the bracket. Ouch.

Here's Rivendell's take on the matter: http://www.rivbike.com/category-s/335.htm

I think rear-mounted kickstands -- those clamped to a bracket that captures the seat- and chainstays on either side of the left-rear dropout, as yours does -- are perhaps the most stable of bike-mounted kickstands and cannot be fouled by a crankarm (backing up a bike in low gear and fouling the BB-mounted kickstand with the left crankarm can cause some real damage at the clamp; someone did that to one of my bikes once). My father is pleased with the rear-mounted stand I installed on his touring bike and no damage has occurred in the many years it has been used unladen. He simply preferred not to use it when the bike was loaded for touring.

Here's one way to look at it: If someone like yourself uses care and respect for the materials and forces involved and has no problems...Thorn won't see a warranty claim and the user will remain happy 'cos the frame won't be damaged. However, they have found kickstands can cause problems in some cases and have decided not to cover any resulting damage under warranty. I really don't think it is just about cost-containment and reducing warranty claims. Thorn have shown every sign of wanting a positive, long-lived experience for owners/users of their bikes and I think they have made this recommendation in good heart based on their experience for the majority of riders and as a result of their experience. They've seen a lot, and not all of it good.

Here's an example from the other side: I saw a kid amusing himself as I walked past McDonald's yesterday; he was having fun balancing between the kickstand and rear wheel with his feet on the pedals, front wheel in the air as he talked on his phone! A lot of stress went on his chainstays through the kickstand clamp. People do dumb or thoughtless things on occasion, and the result is not always the manufacturer's fault.

There's a little different angle in this, too...

When researching rear pannier racks, I came across several instances where Tubus denied coverage in fallovers, claiming such damage was outside the scope of their "no-breakage-in-use" warranty. Just another example of stated limits for warranty coverage.

Sure, loads of bikes have kickstands and nothing bad happens. However, Thorn have decided against kickstands for some specific reasons based on their experience, so warranty coverage is another factor to weigh when deciding on the means to a self-propping bike.

All the best,

Dan. (...who offers no warranty on opinions, expressed or implied)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 01:49:05 am by Danneaux »

energyman

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 04:25:57 pm »
I just think the Click-stand looks more elegant and it works very well too.  I've tried centre and rear types on my Spot Acne but I didn't like tightening the bolts too tight on the ally frame.

Has anyone tried sending an e-mail to the Clickstand site info@click-stand
recently as mine keep coming back with Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently ?
Please let us know if you can get through - thanks.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 04:31:33 pm by energyman »