Author Topic: Same chain after 26 years  (Read 2646 times)

RobertL

Same chain after 26 years
« on: February 10, 2013, 08:39:53 am »
I am not sure how many miles it has, but it will have done around 5000 last year - and yet when ever I get it checked it shows no stretch - the mechs are also original (1980s vintage Shimano Deore) although the middle ring is looking a bit sharktooth like. I try not to let my bikeochondria get the better of me so only change stuff when it is on its last legs, but the resilience of this chain is getting somewhat spooky.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Same chain after 26 years
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 08:42:16 am »
Wow! Robert!  :o

Can you tell us which make and model chain you're running? Do you frequently ride in gears with good chainlines?

Best,

Dan.

RobertL

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 08:45:47 am »
I don't know what chain model but yes tend to ride good chain lines and try and be in the right gear - it may be a reflection on modest wattage output! although the bike (a 1986 DB Ascent bought in Santa Monica new) has its fair share of climbing hills

JWestland

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 05:03:11 pm »
I thought 4 years on the chain on my Raleigh cheapish modern roadster was good  ;)

Does it have a chainguard by any chance?
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

RobertL

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 07:30:47 pm »
Having explored the forum I suspect I should have correctly posted in Muppet section.

JW no chainguard and it has lived in California, Connecticut, North London, Dublin and back to North London. It does pick up the usual okra hue in the winter. I will be giving the bike to my son-in-law, perhaps should invest in a new chain and send this one back to Shimano for analysis.

It is a bit of a cliche but mid 80's MTBs do seem to have been built tough - I have not lost a spoke, the wheels while not particularly high tech (36 spoke) are still original, as are the mechs. The tange frame has its share of scratches but still looks good and the scratches just have surface rust. There is no dishing which may help wheel strength. Only tyres, pedals, saddle and brake pads have been changed. So only disposables in 26 years - and it has gone off trail and down hill with its share of potholes at 40 mph.

I am looking forward to the RST as I expect a more refined, agile ride - and also expect it to be resilient. Only upgrade has been Deore brakes, and I will swap the Velo saddle for my San Marco Rolls.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 08:20:50 pm »
...I suspect I should have correctly posted in Muppet section...
No worries, Robert; fine here in this category.  :) Anyone who mis-posts and desires a re-listing in another category, let me know and I can do a move.
-  -  -  -  -  -  -
I've found the mid-late 1980s were a golden time in Japanese production, both for cars and bicycles. Everything seemed to come together for the good, and the products of that era continue to go and go and....

I believe we topped out at 7-speed cassettes in 1989, and that may have been a factor as well (thicker cogs and chains = more wear surface).

Best,

Dan. (...who has found the same for his 1989 flat-roof Honda Civic Si, 1983/84 Centurion ProTour 15, and 1989 Miyata 1000LT).

JWestland

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 10:38:41 am »
80s mountainbikes are ugly as sin, but they just keep going...and going...and going...

80s was a bad time for bike design IMHO but you can't fault durability on the commuting/mountainbikes from those days :)

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 01:02:14 am »
I had a 1980s Peugeot mountain bike, beautifully brazed, very stiff, all Hurst-Duret components. It kept me in agony for ten years, and made my physio rich, until I wised up and got a decent bike. It was very pretty too, except for the bright purple paint job... I gave it to a local dealer as a goodwill gesture, and he sold it on to a guy who waves wildly to me every time I pass, who is very pleased with being able to afford such a good bike. He appears to think that the better the bike, the harder it rides... Everything about that bike conspired to create a harsh, unforgiving ride.

Andre Jute

Andybg

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 06:45:16 am »
In the early 80's I bought my first mountain bike. It was advertised one of these catalouges that come with a sunday paper and it was designed as industructable. (I think it was sold for 130ukp so will give you some idea of the quality (or lack there of)).

It wa the most exciting thing in the world - a bike that was indestructable!!!!!

It lasted less than a day when the front wheel collapsed while cyling up a set of stone steps. (I had always wanted to do this and I was sure if you got up enough speed it would work - As you can probably guess I had a few broken bones as a child)

The company took it back and fulll refund (or should that be fool refund)

My only excuse was I was about 11 at the time and was not fully conversant with the willy ways of marketeers (I did go on to be one of them though in later life)

My second mountainbike was a Marin Pallisade Trail in about 88 which still lives on to this day. I recently gave it away along with a couple of other early 90's mountain bikes to a guy who wanted to build up a utility bike.

Andy

peter jenkins

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 01:17:23 am »
FWIW, I have an early 90's (unsuspended) MTB, whch just goes and goes...

It's a Trek 7000 and is a bit unusual in that the aluminium frame is bonded rather than welded. 7 speed cassette and Deore LX and now that I think of it, I don't recall ever having replaced the chain.

It's a great bike for riding rail trails, fire breaks and the like.

Cheers,

pj

RobertL

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 01:46:07 pm »
As I countdown for the arrival of the RST Alfine here is a couple of photos of the DB with some of its 27 year patina.

Should have taken a photo of the Santa Monica bike shop decal.

JWestland

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 01:55:22 pm »
That's a nice looking headset.

Notice the "one less car" on the chain stay  ;D