Author Topic: Small ladies' Utopia, possibly cheap  (Read 2724 times)

Andre Jute

Small ladies' Utopia, possibly cheap
« on: February 21, 2013, 12:21:00 am »
Here's a ladies' 49cm Utopia ("the Rolls-Royce of bicycles") with Shimano hub gears still at a vary low offer on German Ebay. As you know, I use a Utopia as my everyday bike, and most satisfying I've found it too. I'm posting this one because there recently was a spate of posts on this board from several parties about the difficulties of finding a quality bike in the smaller sizes.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Utopia-Sprint-7-Gang-Nabendynamo-Ergon-Griffe-stabil-anspruchslos-/360596218385?pt=Sport_Radsport_Fahrräder&hash=item53f535a211&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_1039

Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Small ladies' Utopia, possibly cheap
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 12:24:21 am »
Very thoughtful of you, Andre. It is indeed hard for people to find smaller frames. In that same spirit of helpfulness...

Since the SMF forum software sometimes breaks direct access to long URLs, here is a TinyURL for the same site:

http://tinyurl.com/bz92xmt

German ad copy translates as follows:
Dear ebayer,
up for auction is a used Sprint Utopia city bike.

The cycling is in used condition. It was used a lot and be happy, however, always maintained. Since traces were not now avoid times and sometimes a rusty bolt is, we believe that a previous inspection and test drive for meaningful.

Basically, however, the high quality of Utopia is known. The model "Sprint" is still on offer and is currently starting at approx. 1,800 EUR. The offered wheel is about ten years old. With a frame height of 49 cm, the bike will run from about 1.65 m in height. With the current setting saddle fit for a driver of about 1.80 m height. So it's very universally.

The equipment is appropriate: impact-resistant powder coating, two stable carrier (front to 10 kg, rear up to 25 kg), FER-dynamo hub, comfortable Ergon grips, 7-speed Sachs hub with coaster brake, Shimano Deore LX front-wheel brake, an envelope protection for your front wheel and a patented loading system for the carrier.

We sell "from private to private" without warranty, return and / or warranty. Also renegotiations we exclude. Please do not bid if you do not agree. Thank you!

International bidders are welcome. Happy bidding!

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:27:01 am by Danneaux »

JWestland

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 09:46:28 am »
That downtube welding is something else!

Already got such a style bike (but not as nice) but may make somebody happy. While heavy, such bikes are ideal for commuting and low maintenance.
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 10:13:41 am »
I don't know anything about that particular bike, Jawine, but a Utopia crossframe is not necessarily as heavy as it looks. My Kranich, with a lot of tubes, looks much heavier than it is. it's about 5kg lighter than my equivalently equipped aluminium Gazelle Toulouse, and ditto for my aluminum Trek Cyber Nexus, which is Trek's idea of a Dutch vakansiefiets. It's done with specially developed double-butted thinwall Columbus tubes. But still not a lightweight in roadie terms.

Your post made me go look at the detail photos on German ebay. That bike's like a rolling talking point; I like the frame ends. On a David Bohm bike in the States, frame ends like those would set you back several hundred dollars.

Andre Jute

JWestland

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 10:21:34 am »
Ah, I see, such frames on Dutch bikes are generally made of gas pipe steel but of course a better tube set will significantly reduce weight.

Did you know the sheer weight of Dutch roadsters used to be a selling point?
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 11:49:49 am »
Did you know the sheer weight of Dutch roadsters used to be a selling point?

Before my time... I've only been into Dutch roadster style bikes since the beginning of this century, first with a Gazelle stadssportief called the Toulouse, then with a Trek pseudo-Dutch commuter, which with the generous assistance of Trek Benelux I reengineered into a proper comfort bike, then with my beloved Utopia Kranich, which is a much-developed 1936 Locomotief Crossframe Deluxe, after the war also a Gazelle model, commonly known as a "priester's rijwiel", a priest's bike, because when they still wore dignified skirts, they preferred the Locomotief, and Gazelle specifically kept it in production for the priesthood, because they could ride it with split coats. I have no doubt that, before Van Raam/Utopia/Columbus spent over twenty years of determined development on the Kranich, it weighted as much as a small freighter. At least. There's a WorkBike version of the frame, possibly made with cheaper tubing, which is said to have a reassuring heft, though I've repeatedly heard that it rides fabulously on its standard 50mm Big Apples. I believe it.