Author Topic: Questions about Raven(s)  (Read 11669 times)

E-wan

Re: Questions about Raven(s)
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2013, 09:44:35 am »
Don't think a seatpost pitlock will fit a thorn seatpost. Its designed as a coller that clamps onto the frame where as on thorn bikes I don't think this will work as the coller that clamps the seat post is an intigrel part of the frame.

pitlock make a clamp that goes at the top of your saddle that deterrs people from nicking the saddle from the seat post.

An alternative option is to get your saddle height set correctly then superglue a ball bearing into the seatpost clamp on the frame. This can be removed but takes a while with a needle but it means you need to be sure of your saddle height and not wish to adjust it in future.

pitlock make a replacement top cap that stops someone unboting making off with the whole front end of the bike.

I have gone with F&R pitlock  skewers and a pitlock top cap.

Ewan

Peddrov

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2013, 11:18:05 am »
Don't think a seatpost pitlock will fit a thorn seatpost.

That's correct, I had asked Lisa to supply the pitlock set with seatpost protection, but it wouldn't fit, so now I will have the same set as you.

John, FWIW, I have ZACs on my current touring/mountain bike and they have been very reliable. I mostly ride tarmac, but they do have to cope with this every now and then, and cope they do: http://ect.bell-labs.com/who/pfps/trips/2005-07/S_IMG_0308.JPG

I don't think the ZAC comes in a CSS version, so if you want a Grizzly CSS rim for your front tire, you'll need different brake pads for rear and front. Might not be a major issue, just something to be aware of. Alternatively, the Grizzly comes in a non CSS version too, which saves about £40 per wheel I think.

John Saxby

« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2013, 04:12:19 am »
That's most helpful, Peddrov -- many thanks.  I'd thought of the issue of different brake pads fore & aft if I use a CSS rim on the front. Not a big deal, really--just a matter of extra spares.  Might also just go with ZACs front & back, & your experience with those is very valuable too.  My current bike, an Eclipse, has (now) ten-year-old 700c Alex rims, which have been completely trouble-free.

Still thinking about the Pitlock possibilities, as well as alternatives for keeping hubs & wheels attached to the bike...

Cheers,

J.

Peddrov

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2013, 10:09:50 am »
Bike is all built and will be here on Tuesday. Sweet!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2013, 04:54:15 pm »
Bike is all built and will be here on Tuesday. Sweet!
Sweet indeed, Philipp! Now, time becomes elastic with the next six days taking 6 years to arrive!  :-\

The good news is, once it arrives, the next six years will seem like six days!  ;D

Many happy rides ahead to you! (and of course, a request for photos After it arrives  ;) )

Best,

Dan.

Peddrov

« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2013, 05:18:20 pm »
It's here! A real beauty of a bike. I took it out for a quick spin this morning and it rides smoothly, stable, and (since it's a red bike) fast. There was a small issue I was having with the grips / handlebar setup and I talked to Lisa and Andy this morning, they were very helpful and sorted me out by sending a different grip. I will take some snapshots as soon as I have installed this... if my phone decides to start working normally that is.

Really hope I will get a chance to test it in more depth this weekend.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2013, 05:27:11 pm »
Yaaaaaaaaaaaay!  Good on you, Philipp!

Now, go put some miles on, do! Can't wait for the in-depth reports and photos to follow.

Congratulations!

Best,

Dan.