Author Topic: Questions about Raven(s)  (Read 11664 times)

stuartieboy

Re: Questions about Raven(s)
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 07:22:24 pm »
Congrats from a fellow Raven owner.
Hope to see some snaps when the time comes.
Us bird fanciers must stick together.
 ;)
not sure that I said anything about being a bird fancier or is that cycle speak for something ?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 07:25:34 pm »
not sure that I said anything about being a bird fancier or is that cycle speak for something ?
Raven = Thorn's designation for models equipped with the Rohloff hub, a specific model, and Rohloff's company mascot. Raven is thus sometimes used as shorthand for Rohloff-equipped Thorns.

If one likes Rohloff-equipped Thorns (Ravens), then one must be a "bird fancier" by default!  ;D

No worries. Just us, being silly and happy with our bikes.

All the best,

Dan.

stuartieboy

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 07:32:38 pm »
Oh, I get the birdie gag now. Matt2matt2000 might be interested to know that I used to live in Dumfries, still have family there, and will be there the week after Easter for a weekend. I now live in Dundee where there is another Raven owner across the park from me. It was him who sold me on Rohloffs.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 10:14:52 pm »
I am 25 miles from Dumfries on the road to Ayr. Give me a pm if you would like to drop in for a spin.
Matt

Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Peddrov

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2013, 05:16:04 pm »
I just booked an appointment at Bridgwater. Looks like this is happening ;)

Oh, by the way, there are fairly cheap connections from Edinburgh to Bridgwater via Birmingham and Bristol if you go with Megatrain/Megabus. Looking at only 30 Pound return. Just in case somebody else is considering this.

Philipp
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 05:19:02 pm by Peddrov »

Andybg

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 07:47:36 pm »
Best of luck! I am sure you will have lots to report on your return

Andy

macspud

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2013, 01:02:20 am »
I just booked an appointment at Bridgwater. Looks like this is happening ;)

Oh, by the way, there are fairly cheap connections from Edinburgh to Bridgwater via Birmingham and Bristol if you go with Megatrain/Megabus. Looking at only 30 Pound return. Just in case somebody else is considering this.

Philipp

Well done, exciting stuff.
By the way, how did you manage to come up with the deal with Megatrain/Megabus as when I looked on the website I couldn't find that option. I'm not au fait with the site and can't seem to get the options I want from the departure and destination lists. Is it a case of having to phone them?

Iain

Peddrov

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2013, 03:44:57 pm »
It's a train from Edinburgh to Birmingham (5 to 7 Pounds one way) and a bus from Birmingham to Bristol (1 to 8 Pounds one way), you can book both through their website. Then it's just a regular off-peak day return train ticket (9 Pounds) from Bristol to Bridgwater, from any of the normal train websites. You have to be a bit flexible with your schedule, because these Edinburgh-Birmingham train fares are only for some days of the week and only for one train per day. Also, I will have to stay in Birmingham for 2 nights, but I'll probably Couchsurf, and this way I will have some time to explore Bristol.

macspud

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2013, 11:02:46 pm »
Thanks for the info :), I shall do some further investigation. I was looking at flying to Bristol which isn't to bad if you're a wee bit flexible.

Iain.

Peddrov

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 06:20:11 pm »
Heading down to Bridgwater tomorrow. Very excited. Any tips how to make the most out of it?

Andybg

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 07:04:26 pm »
Sit on and test ride as many different combinations as possible would be my plan

Andy

brummie

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2013, 07:36:08 pm »
Heading down to Bridgwater tomorrow. Very excited. Any tips how to make the most out of it?

Ride home on a new Thorn !

Andybg

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2013, 07:37:18 pm »
lol @brummie

Peddrov

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2013, 06:27:34 am »
Went there yesterday, very happy I did. Got to test ride the Raven and the Nomad. Both bikes feel great. The Rohloff... well I am slightly less impressed than I thought I would be but that might just be my having too high expectations ;)

Got a quote now and will order a bike soon. I saw someone riding a sherpa later that day in bristol, so I'll take that as an omen :P

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2013, 06:31:35 am »
I saw someone riding a sherpa later that day in bristol, so I'll take that as an omen
Hi Philipp!

Glad to hear you made it to Bridgwater for a test ride or two. By any chance, did you try riding a Sherpa Mk3? The frame is the same as the new Raven, but intended for derailleurs rather than Rohloff. If the Rohloff underwhelmed, this would be a way to get the same basic bicycle performance at a lesser price.

Best,

Dan. (...who can sense the new-bike excitement in the air!)