Author Topic: Questions about Raven(s)  (Read 11670 times)

Peddrov

Questions about Raven(s)
« on: February 18, 2013, 06:12:04 pm »
Hello, having gathered quite a lot of information in this forum already, it's time for my first post here!

I'm considering getting a Raven. Two ravens actually, since my gf also needs a bike. I've done quite a lot of research and I think I know mostly what I want, but I still have some questions and hopefully somebody here knows the answers :)

1) In general: How set-in-stone are the components you can choose from in the brochures? Is it possible to get handlebar grips or saddles that aren't listed there? That is, other than just paying the full price of these items on top of the normal price of course.
2) Rims: I weigh ~70kg and my gf weighs about 50kg. We will carry (light) camping load on these, but usually this should be about 15kg for me and less than 10kg for her. The most I can foresee us carrying would be 25-30kg for me and 20kg for her. We do however plan to take these off-road (nothing technical, but could be rough gravel, washboard etc.). Would the Anda rim be overkill, seeing as it is recommended for the Nomad, which can carry 60kg of gear and (I guess) 100kg of human flesh and bones? If not, would it make sense to get it only for the rear wheel, and say a Grizzly rim in the front? Are Thorn flexible enough to cater for such silly wishes? ;)
3) The Raven brochure states that the C2 forks can take 2.15" tires. Does anyone know if this is with or without mudguards?
4) Anybody been to Bridgwater? I'm in Edinburgh, but might consider trekking all the way down if Thorn have a good selection of different frame sizes and handlebars/components built up for test rides. Is that the case? Would it be worth it?

Can't think of anything else right now ;)

Thanks!
Philipp

Andybg

Re: Questions about Raven(s)
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 06:36:56 pm »
Hi Philipp

Welcome to the forum and it must be an exciting time for you.

I am sure you will get lots of replies but based on what I have experienced:

1) Thorn will build the bike how you want with bing able to cherry pick any of the components you want.
2) I would also add into the mix probably the most important variable into the wheel choice decision and that is riding style. If you are a very carefull rider and good at obfuscating bad potholes and you want to ride sprightly then you could and should go for a lighter wheelset. If on the other hand (like me) able to find the worst potholes and hit them just right and you are not planning on braking any speed records I would go for the andre rims every time. You could build up two different spec wheels but I probably would not bother. They tyre choice will make the biggest difference to "how she rides" so maybe a heavy set of touring tyres and a lighter set for good light days would be a better way to go.
3) About tyre clearance I have had 2.1 Ice spicer pros in there with guards with no issues but it is on the older Tour so not sure if the clearances and fork are the same.
4) I would definetly reccomned a visit. Get the right size and the bike specced just as you want.

Best of luck

Andy

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 07:04:49 pm »
Hi Philipp! Welcome to the Forum!

Your first question is the same one I asked before ordering Sherpa. Thorn kindly advised the entire SJS Cycles catalog was available to me for equipping the bicycle, but at catalog cost. The "package options" offered in the Thorn brochure have such good prices because the components are bought in bulk and Thorn as an OEM kindly passes along the savings at build time.

My only off-list, SJSC-sourced item was an M:Part carbon-fiber chainstay guard, which Thorn gladly installed during my build. It is worth noting while I paid the catalog cost for it, I was spared postage because that was included in shipping the bike. This amounted to a little discount on the part for me as an international buyer, plus the VAT was waived as well.

Very best of luck to you and your girlfriend in selecting and building your bikes, and thanks for including us in asking your questions. This is a helpful Forum, and it is always exciting when new bikes are under consideration. Looking forward to hearing more as your selection narrows and we await that wonderful Day of Arrival with you!

Best,

Dan.

ZeroBike

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 07:25:48 pm »
Its worth visiting Thorn to get fitted for the bike but you are unlikely to actually be able to test ride anything as pretty much everything is built to  order, that's why you get 100 days to return it for a full refund if you don't like it.

6527richardm

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 08:55:25 pm »
It is definitely worth a visit.  They do have a number of different bikes in varying sizes that you can take out for a good test ride.

The advice you will receive on size spec etc is also invaluable.  You will need to make an appointment but it will be worth the time and effort.

ZeroBike

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 09:07:57 pm »
It is definitely worth a visit.  They do have a number of different bikes in varying sizes that you can take out for a good test ride.

The advice you will receive on size spec etc is also invaluable.  You will need to make an appointment but it will be worth the time and effort.

I'm afraid that they didn't have any available to test ride when I went.

stuartieboy

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 09:56:22 pm »
Here is my first post to the forum. I visited Bridgwater last week to buy a Raven. I flew down from Edinburgh to Bristol for £55 return. This was part of a holiday weekend in Bristol, with the added bonus of buying a new bike. I'm going to drive down in April to pick up the bike, head for Oxford and do some cycling there as part of my Easter holiday. And not be too far from Bridgwater if the bike needs any fine tuning after its first few miles.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 10:43:28 pm »
...do some cycling there as part of my Easter holiday. And not be too far from Bridgwater...
Hi stuartieboy! Welcome to the Forum! You'd not be too far from Exmoor National Park with all to see and do there as well: http://www.exmoor-nationalpark.gov.uk/

Sounds like a lovely bike pick-up and holiday ahead for you come April. Congratulations in advance on your soon-to-be Thorn ownership.

Best,

Dan.

Cambirder

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 11:12:33 pm »
When I purchased my Raven Sports Tour in 2011, I wanted front and rear dynamo lights that Thorn did not do, this was no problem as I sourced them myself from Germany and Thorn fitted them as part of the build with no additional charge for labour so If you do want something a bit different it should not be an issue.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 06:30:52 am »
Here is my first post to the forum. I visited Bridgwater last week to buy a Raven. I flew down from Edinburgh to Bristol for £55 return. This was part of a holiday weekend in Bristol, with the added bonus of buying a new bike. I'm going to drive down in April to pick up the bike, head for Oxford and do some cycling there as part of my Easter holiday. And not be too far from Bridgwater if the bike needs any fine tuning after its first few miles.
Congrats from a fellow Raven owner.
Hope to see some snaps when the time comes.
Us bird fanciers must stick together.
 ;)
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 11:02:48 am »
Phillip Welcome!

I am just South of Edinburgh and have a Raven Tour 2009. I am 174cm tall and about 73kg and went for the 512L size which I find ideal (best to check the equivalent size in the current Raven models though). You are welcome to contact me if you want to try out the bike for size. SJS would be only too happy to advise on final sizing for you and your gf of course. The Raven is an excellent bike.

Your questions ...

1: I agree with other members that SJS would probably add and subtract components that you wanted on the bike, and as Dan said, it all comes with one shipping cost.

2: The Rigida Andra is an great rim. Having cycled the Borders pot holed roads (!) and rough tracks, and along Edinburgh's cobbled streets, it would be an excellent choice. If you plan to do some washerboard and off road with even light touring gear, even more so. For commuting and day-to-day use I put on 26x1.75 Pasela Tourguard tyres, and for rougher conditions, Marathon XRs 26x2. The latter will handle rougher conditions very well and the Andra rim is good with both sizes of tyres.

3: As above the 26x2 tyres are fine and the forks would probably take 26x2.15. My mudguards are 55mm and I would not like to go larger than 2 inch tyres with them.

4: About 3 years ago I was in the Bridgwater area and decided to drop in without an appointment. After my apologies for just turning up they did say that I could test ride a Nomad they had. I was sold on Thorns! If I had made an appointment there would probably have been more bikes to test. A couple of years later I decided that the Raven Tour would be adequate for my future touring use. It would have been better to test ride one before buying but everything worked out in the end. So yes, a trip down would definitely be worth it after your specific requirements have been fleshed out via email and phone.

Congratulations again on the decision to go for a Raven. I am very happy with mine.

Looking forward to the photos when you finally get the bikes!

Richard
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 05:31:23 pm by StuntPilot »

Peddrov

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 02:46:29 pm »
Wow, I didn't expect that many replies! Thanks everyone, very helpful indeed. It might be a while still before I decide to take the plunge, but if/when I do, I will post some pictures for sure.

Richard, that's great, I might take you up on your offer, especially since I'm almost exactly your size. I will send you a PM.

Thanks
Philipp

julk

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 03:31:23 pm »
Philipp,
If you want to try a slightly larger 560L Rohloff Thorn, I am also just south of Edinburgh by Dalkeith.
The bike fits me at around 180cm tall and weighing 78Kg.
I have a relaxed stance on it.
Have fun choosing that bike.
Julian.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 05:32:52 pm »
And I have a Raven too. A wee bit further South from Edinburgh, near Dumfries.
Also pleased to let you view and try.
587L frame - quite large.

Looks like we have a group of Ravens in the area.
Not sure I like the term 'Unkindness' but that's what Wikipedia throws up.
( as well as congress and conspiracy)
 ;)
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 06:05:00 pm »
Looks like we have a group of Ravens in the area.
Not sure I like the term 'Unkindness' but that's what Wikipedia throws up.
( as well as congress and conspiracy)
Perhaps "flock" applies for birdy-bikes? Given the universally kind and helpful responses, I'd say "birds of a feather" are flocking together!  :D

Best,

Dan. (...who briefly owned a Birdy folder and didn't know what to call two of them)