Author Topic: Matt's old bird  (Read 73269 times)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Matt's old bird
« Reply #195 on: March 13, 2015, 02:38:48 am »
-more people, in more places, & more frequently, will fit & remove their 'gliders than their (E)BBs. 

Since I am nearing my own transition to gliderhood, here is a question for the experts: with my naked chain, it is pretty easy just to take a look to see how much chain slack there is, and very easy to measure with enough precision... sometimes I wait until my chain falls off, but I prefer to snug up the EBB before that point.

So, with a chainglider, what is the easiest way to figure out when the chain needs to be tightened? With the chainglider, maybe the system can tolerate a lot more slack. Seems like the chain won't fall off so easily with the glider to hold it in place. Is there any other downside to a very slack chain?

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #196 on: March 13, 2015, 08:08:45 am »
I'm a slack man as well.
The chainglider covers up everything very well, so there is no easy way to peak inside.
All I can say is that after removing a few times its pretty easy to do.
For me it was just a case oof getting my head around how it fits together and how to tweak the catches that clip it together.

I guess a slacker chain will rub inside more but I haven't hear any such sound on my set up.

So, the easiest ( only?) Way is to take a look.
And I guess there is less like the chain will pop off. Without the 'glider I had that happen to me several times.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

julk

« Reply #197 on: March 13, 2015, 02:58:11 pm »
Guys,
After some time using a chainglider I have never had to tighten the chain up.
I suspect the chainglider keeps the chain so clean and well lubricated that it (the chain) forgets to wear out and stays almost the same length.
Another benefit…

Andre,
Any feedback as the longest user?

Julian.

John Saxby

« Reply #198 on: March 13, 2015, 04:13:53 pm »
Jim, Matt, my experience with the 'glider is limited to a shortened season of riding in 2014, and about 3000 kms, all with a new Raven and a new chain.

When I checked my chain last autumn, it was 15 mms beyond Thorn's maximum recommended play of 60 mm as shown in the "Thorn Bikes Owners Manual, p. 9, "Adjusting eccentric bottom brackets". (Note:  I didn't measure the play in the chain when I took delivery of the bike in late April last year, so i can't say how much the new chain stretched over the season.)  I adjusted the EBB to bring the play below the 40 mm lower mark recommended in the manual. 

By the simpler method of checking the play midway between the two sprockets, it's now about 15 mm at the tight spot (happily, the tight spot isn't very pronounced.)

The 'glider does a good job, I reckon, of keeping the chain on the sprockets where it belongs.  Most on my kms were done on tarmac roads, with the usual frost-heave jounces on Canajan roads, but for the most part, me, the bike, and the chain were not subjected to serious shocks or bounces.

I'd say that checking the chain's tension when you change the Rohloff's oil should do the trick--annually or every 5000 kms or so.

Matt2matt2002

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #200 on: October 11, 2015, 06:20:21 pm »
Matt,

For me on a variety of devices, the first link directly connects to a photo at the other end. It "works".

The second one brings me to the sign-in gateway to my Google account and then to an 404 Error page (file not found). It "doesn't work".

Neither link results in an embedded photo being displayed in your post. For that, you'd need to compose your post using an inline image tag linked to the photo where it is stored on another site elsewhere.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 06:34:50 pm by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #201 on: October 11, 2015, 10:52:05 pm »
Same here. First links shows a movie, second link a not-found 404.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #202 on: October 12, 2015, 10:39:07 am »
Time lapse now.

Out on Sunday past, in Aberdeenshire UK
Good farming land. Hay making and slurry spreading.

Hope you don't mind if I continue to experiment here?
Steep learning curve for me

Helps if you slow the playback speed - lower right control on screen.
Not quite sure how to edit that into the clip my end. I think there is a button to click so will try that next time

https://goo.gl/photos/cScWJGNfYQA3b9Cu5
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 10:46:34 am by Matt2matt2002 »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #203 on: October 12, 2015, 10:56:04 am »
Viewable, Matt, but no speed controls at my end...it went by pretty fast.

You can always delete your practice posts later once you get the hang of things.

ATB,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #204 on: October 12, 2015, 11:02:51 am »
Thanks Dan.
I'll try that slow down button in the edit stage.

I'm not that fast a rider! Too many roses and too much slurry to smell.

I sure do like cycling the back roads and watching the farmers at work. I knew many several years ago and its a hard life. Not easy making a living from the land.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #205 on: October 12, 2015, 03:20:33 pm »
Time lapse again

I'll need to seek assistance on the playback speed.
This one is slower, slightly.

https://goo.gl/photos/LLSHnBjXUrnd3tZW9

« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 03:24:16 pm by Matt2matt2002 »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #206 on: October 12, 2015, 03:35:06 pm »
Another thought, Matt...why not set the interval shorter so you're inserting frames between what you have? That should also reduce the apparent speed a bit while showing more "snapshots" along the way.

ATB,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #207 on: October 13, 2018, 10:02:41 am »
New picture size ok?
Old Bird taking a break from the hot Ethiopian sun.
56 Kb

John Saxby

« Reply #208 on: October 13, 2018, 04:07:26 pm »
Well-earned, Matt, I'd say.  Owner also taking a break from the hills, maybe a meal of injera and wat, washed down with a glass or two of tej?  (Followed by a nap?)

Cheers,  John

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #209 on: October 13, 2018, 04:19:16 pm »
Picture size is more than okay, Matt; well on the right side of things. You can go larger in filesize if needed. Even a bump-up to about 200kB would give you a nice size and quality that still loads fast and fits parameters.

The Old Bird is looking great -- as usual!

All the best,

Dan.