Author Topic: Matt's old bird  (Read 73271 times)

E-wan

Re: Matt's old bird
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2013, 05:48:52 pm »
Good to see someone else is using the reinforced rack tubing!

I am intreagued.  Is there a thread on this somware, and how ware would you source it and will ortalieb pannier hooks fit it?

Thanks

Ewan

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2013, 06:15:37 pm »
Is there a thread on this somware...
Yep! Starting here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4290.0
how ware would you source it
Richard's details here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4290.msg20452#msg20452
will ortalieb pannier hooks fit it?
Ortlieb hooks fit fine without use of the hook inserts, provided you get the right tubing kind/diameter (16mm or slightly less).

Best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2013, 08:15:08 pm »
I am intreagued.  Is there a thread on this somware, and how ware would you source it and will ortalieb pannier hooks fit it?

Thanks

Ewan
I fitted the tubing to protect the rack ( front and back) ((Thorn racks)). I use altura rear panniers and Ortlieb front.
When I came to fit the front panniers I found that the hooks only fitted with the tubing on!
I had bought the panniers second hand so maybe there had been sizing hooks for adaption.

I like the look now and also see the tubing as somewhere to hide cash as a fall back measure when on tour.
Lots of thoughts on this issue but having some money spread out can't be too bad a thing.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2013, 09:40:58 am »
Just a tester to see if I can load a picture in the middle of a paragraph.
https://plus.google.com/photos/106065275166342132380/albums/5861999555599776081?banner=pwa
Did it work?
If not, please help.
Matt. Who hopes to be put in the picture.

julk

« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2013, 10:54:02 am »
Matt,
The link shows up but has to be clicked to open the photo page.
Have you tried the additional options/attach choose file features of a reply?
That works for me as long as the photo is within the size limits stated.
Julian

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2013, 01:51:14 pm »
Thanks for the hint.
I wanted the picture to appear within the text.
I have attached pictures before but they appear after the text

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2013, 02:37:23 pm »
Hi Matt!

I have written a little tutorial on photo-posts here, both as attachments (below the text) as well as in the text (using image URLs HTML tags): http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4313.0

Rather than linking the page, you'll need to link the URL of the image. The steps vary a bit depending on your browser and OS, but typically, you can right-click the image (if on a PC) and choose an option that will read something like "Copy Image URL". That's what you want to get.

Then, when composing a message, click on the "Insert Image" icon in the row just above the emoticons (smileys). It is the button second from left (hover your mouse over it and the label will appear). The image URL goes between the brackets -- same way you'd modify text with an underline or italics.

The image should appear in your text, like so:

So long as you keep the same image host, your photo will appear. Change, and the photo will be replaced with an "Image not found" icon. When the photos appear below the text (as attachments), they're stored (hosted) in a special place on Thorn's server, rather than off-site, and will remain available unless/until you decide to remove them. Attached photos can only be seen by registered members, while those appearing in the body of the post can be viewed by anyone.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 02:39:46 pm by Danneaux »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2013, 04:26:31 pm »
Many thanks Dan.
Out tomorrow for a run so will take a few snaps and try again.
BTW, does my chain look a bit slack?
Thanks
Matt

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #68 on: April 12, 2013, 04:38:02 pm »
...does my chain look a bit slack?
Mmmyeah, but only compared to freshly adjusted. Matt, the Thorn Rohloff chains can be run fairly slack and running slack sure beats running too tight (which can cause excess wear). Some Forum members have only adjusted theirs after the chain begins to fall off.

So, yes, compared to a freshly-adjusted chain it does look a bit slack. In the range of allowable chain tautness, it looks fine!

Best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #69 on: April 12, 2013, 05:56:07 pm »
Thanks again Dan

I have yet to fiddle around under my Old Bird but am eager to dabble with the adjustable double big screws I can see.
If I turn the Old bird upside down and slacken the x2 screws, which way do I nudge the bottom bracket to take up the sack?
Maybe it will be obvious but any hints and tips always well received.
Matt

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #70 on: April 12, 2013, 06:15:46 pm »
Hi Matt!

Your picture-post worked great; well done!

Typically, you'll want to tip the skinny part of the eccentric (at the top) forward. It will be obvious when you get into it. Complete instructions are here:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/thornpdf/ThornBikeOwnerManual2Web.pdf page 9.

For more on how tight to get the chain, see: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=5569.0

A search for "chain tension" and "eccentric" and "ebb" will pull up all you need.

Best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #71 on: April 14, 2013, 01:38:36 pm »
Out for my usual Saturday afternoon run. 34 miles around the sunny lanes of South West Scotlandshire
 ;)
I took delivery on Thursday of my Topeak bottle carrier and was looking forward to trying it out. I had read mixed reviews of its strength in as much as on reviewer said t did not old the bottle straight but slipped under the weight.
I fixed it to my T bar with the supplied rubber sleeve to protect the bar from the metal tightener.
Bit tricky but that was down to me having taken one of my slow pills. ;)
First impressions....
Being on the T bar right in front of me caused me concern since I though I might hit it with my right knee on the upstroke of a pedal.
Also, the top of he bottle was higher than I had anticipated

Proof of the puddling, as they say.....
First problem was that I had erred too much with caution in tightening the retainnig bolt, resluting in the occasional slippage of the bottle towards me.

Here is a better picture side on. This shows the height issue.

At the end of my run, I was able to evaluate the whole set up.

Nice to have a bottle so near to hand, and no issues with knee/pedal or bottle movement.

One last picture looking back towards seat.

I see Dan has his bottles mounted forward of the bars. A better set up but not sure I have that option unless I use a forward mounted T bar and attach my bar bag to it.

One last picture of my Thorn against a thorn tree.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 02:22:23 pm by Matt2matt2002 »

moodymac

« Reply #72 on: April 14, 2013, 04:35:38 pm »
Matt,

I don't have any ideas of solving your bottle location, but the old bird is sure looking good! 8)

Tom

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2013, 05:01:23 pm »
Hi Matt!

My, the Old Bird (which almost seems disrespectful for such a fine and new-looking bike!) looks wonderful.

Isn't it fun to experiment with new setups? A great way to tailor the bike just for you.

Yes, it is really handy having a bottle so ready to hand (or mouth, if one fits a straw).
I see Dan has his bottles mounted forward of the bars.
No, Matt, mine are just behind the handlebars, attached inline with the steerer so no clearance issues with the handlebar bag. Though I have a "M" (590M) frame, my knees still clear nicely even when out of the saddle. Co-locating the bottles with the steerer axis will have the least effect on handling.

If you need to lower the bottle, a short length of alu with two holes and a couple more nuts and bolts will do the trick, allowing it to ride lower on the Topeak bracket if you wish.

Really enjoying your photos; best wishes for many more happy miles ahead!

Dan. (...who thinks you have some picturesque countryside in which to ride and wants to see more)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2013, 06:21:22 pm »
Many thanks Dan, & co. for compliments.Half way around my ride I stopped off at my usual spot for a coffee and Chelsea bun.
I realised that a local bike club had just finished their run at the same spot and there were quite a few riders hanging around. All Lycra clad, carbon-heads. My mind raced back to the years when I could have fitted in,so a slight tinge of envy was hanging in the air.

I was well pleased when three of the guys stopped as they walked past and complimented me on the Raven.
They recognised the hub and asked questions about drag and gear ratio. They also noted the Axa lock and asked why I was also carrying a second lock. ( I had forgotten to remove it before leaving home but I was tempted to say it was because of the bikes value and I am a belt and braces man )
They also noticed a slight rust ring on the seat post where I had raised the saddle height.
So I was embarrassed by the fau pass and removed it as soon as I returned home.

One of the guys had been down to Thorn in Somerset and met Robert. It was 11 years ago so he imagined the set up had moved on from the rabbit warren of buildings out the back. But spoke very well of the whole business.
As they left, they asked if I was planning a long trip, and I said Turkey. One guy said. "We'll, that will get you there and back."
I hope he's right. ::)

So I was one happy bunny at all the attention received.
Is pride a sin?

Matt