Author Topic: Matt's old bird  (Read 73289 times)

Matt2matt2002

Matt's old bird
« on: February 11, 2013, 09:14:16 pm »
Just putting a placer here for my new second hand Raven Tour.
Hence the old bird title.
 Long story cut short....
Andy Evers kindly sold me his Raven Tour and it made its way from Budapest to Cambridge today.
I hope to bring it up to Scotland this weekend.
Pictures to follow.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Matt's old bird
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 09:26:18 pm »
Yay!  Can't wait, Matt!

All congratulations your way as purchaser and to AndyBG as seller!

The Invisible hand of Adam Smith is no doubt waving in delight -- particularly if the Forum sees the result in photos.

All the best,

Dan.

ianshearin

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 09:28:37 pm »
Pictures...... Or it never happened........
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

jags

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 09:32:13 pm »
ah i was looking forward to seening your old bird you tricked me there matt. ;D ;D
but i'll settle for the bike anyway. ;)

Cambirder

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 10:12:29 pm »
Just putting a placer here for my new second hand Raven Tour.
Hence the old bird title.
 Long story cut short....
Andy Evers kindly sold me his Raven Tour and it made its way from Budapest to Cambridge today.
I hope to bring it up to Scotland this weekend.
Pictures to follow.

Matt

You could give a proper test and ride it home Matt ;D

Andybg

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 06:25:45 am »
Looking forward to her getting some good use. I think in her life she has probably done under 1000miles and you can just tell she has got a good 100k miles in her.

Am looking forward to future reports and keep up with the photos

Andy

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 10:27:28 pm »
Well, she arrived safe and sound last Monday and is sitting in my garage getting to know my other bike, a Dawes Sadar.
SJS are sending me a set of guards and I have fitted a pair of Lambda pedals. So as soon as she is dressed, the old bird will be appearing here in person.

Despite being undressed, I took her on a climb up the local hill. No more than a mile all told but I couldn't wait to get my leg over. The saddle.  ;)

First impressions of the Rholoff? Smooth and quiet.

Matt

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 10:30:41 pm »
Yay! It's here-It's here-It's here for you!

Nothing quite like that first day of ownership, is there? Electricity on the air, the crackle of excitement, wanting to try it all out...!

Very happy for you, Matt!

All the best,

Dan. (...who thinks of it as "experienced" rather than "old")

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 01:34:01 pm »
Matt's old bird flies.

Managed my first proper run yesterday.
25 miles around the lanes of South West Scotlandshire.
Dull and minus 2 but no ice or traffic. Tarmac and 4 short hills.

I had adjusted he saddle height down a few inches but was aware of being on a big bike.
587L frame

Weight of bike? First few miles felt slow and with the 16/38 rings I was aware I had a few more mph in my tank but couldn't use them. But in the last half of the run I rally flew along. Guess it was part confidence being gained.

On the few short hills there were a stack of gears left spare. I look forward to trying them out fully loaded.

Pedals? The new Lambda felt good with no slips.

Saddle? Andy had kindly passed on a Brooks with the bike. Humm, bricks spring to mind but strangley no ill affects today. Will persivere.

Brakes? Xtrs and swisstops had me stopping on a penny.

Noise? Say again? Ok - some noise in 7 or 8 but that just reminds me I am on a Rholoff.

Feel good factor? Why did I take so long to buy a Thorn?

Next jobs? Work on wheel removal and cover front rack on clear tubing so Ortlieb panniers fit.

While stopped for a coffee half way I felt the urge for a tinker and I disconnected the rear coupling to the gears. A simple twist and pull it was not! Guess there is a knack? Push n twist? Maybe it was the cold but for a few minutes i thought I would be pushing the bike home.

Hope the pictures come out

Matt

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2013, 02:40:57 pm »
More pictures from yesterdays run
Forgot to mention the handlebars
Humberts covered with tape.
Very nicely done but I think I may recover them with foam.
i have the correct Humpert brand foam tubes.
Anyone done this? What kind of sticky stuff will i find under the tape and how best to remove it?
Advice folks.

jags

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2013, 02:51:50 pm »
Fantastic Matt enjoy every pedal stroke great pic's as  well nothing wrong with that camera. ;) ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2013, 04:36:07 pm »
Wow! Thanks so much for posting these...absolutely fantastic photos of a lovely bike and ride, Matt!

Really, really happy for you. It's got all the details, too, including a ring-lock!

What kind of sticky stuff will i find under the tape and how best to remove it?
You'll likely find some sticky stuff beneath the tape, and t is best removed before trying to slide on foam tubes. A number of potions work well, the difference being time-to-effectiveness:

• WD-40
• Peanut butter (creamy rather than crunchy), and peanut oil
• Olive oil

The main thing is to put it on till the goo dissolves, then wipe. Repeated applications may be necessary, and I would suggest a clean with detergent and a rinse after so the 'bars aren't oily.

To install the foam grips, the people either go with diluted dish detergent (me) or aerosol hairspray (heaven help you if it flash-dries before the tubes seat, and the effects on bike paint/finish are not good at all). I made a little tool that allow the job to go much faster: An old Atom pedal cap backed by the expanding rubber from a handlebar-end plug. The pedal dustcap prevents the foam tube from snagging in the end of the handlebar and also prevents the bar-end from punching a hole in the foam tube (don't ask how I know this  ;)). Any small plug that can be easily removed will do, just something to ease the foam over the 'bar. I just finished sliding Grab-Ons grips over my shot-peened compact drops a few weeks ago. Boy! Installation and workout in one! Now, I need to compression-tape the foam tubes using a padded vinyl tape. Doing so greatly increases the foam's durability and abrasion resistance.

Hope this helps. If you run into problems, give a shout.

My! What a beautiful bike! Very happy to see it complete and "out in the wild" for you to ride, Matt!

Best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 06:24:16 pm »
Thanks Dan.
I'll let you know how I get on with the bars.
Can you throw me a tip for disconnecting the 2 connectors at the rear for the hub?
Is it a push n twist?
Guess they have to come apart to remove the wheel?
The inside appears pointy with a groove.
I did do it twice but there were 5 or 6 minutes of huffling and puffing between events.

Matt who is down in the groove and wants to get the point.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 06:33:39 pm »
Hi Matt!

Did you try shifting into Gear 1 or 14 first? That helps considerably.

Here's a nifty tip from the Archives, courtesy gearoidmuar: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=2388.0

Y'do have to pack a wooden clothespin with you to accomplish it.

Yes, those internal cable connectors can be a bit of a challenge, especially with cold hands. The key is to get enough slack to push them together and then twist apart. Other tips here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=2249.0

All the best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 08:57:26 pm »
I know I'm a new boy here but that wooden peg solution sums up for me the whole Thorn experience.
High tech purpose built technology and a peg.
How very British
 ::)