Author Topic: Matt's old bird  (Read 73773 times)

Matt2matt2002

Re: Matt's old bird
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2013, 05:42:21 pm »
Todays run was 31 miles around the sunny lanes of South West Scotlandshire.
It was my usual route but for the first time I realised how many bridges I crossed.
Out came the camera and here we go.
Not quite the Bridges of Madison County......

Matt - maybe a bridge too far?
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2013, 06:00:14 pm »
Oh, this is terrific, Matt!

One of the real Forum treats for me is seeing what it is like where others ride. Nearly any local route can soon become routine when you see it daily, but when seen from afar, it is exotic and wonderful (as in this case).

Wow! Bridges! Made of stone!

The ones 'round here are steel or wood, as in covered bridges (the roofs make them look like little houses vehicles drive through...the idea being the roof protects the wooden deck timbers from weather). From 'way over here in the NW corner of 'Merka, your locale looks like wonderful countryside for cycling, Matt! The closest I've been is playing Colin McRae and Richard Burns rally games on the PC, and then the countryside is mostly a blur unless I find the corner of a stone bridge whilst drifting sideways out of a corner. "They" modeled your reality well from the games -- the two look very similar!  ;D

(Bike looks great too!)

Best,

Dan. (...who would be a "real" WRC driver if his wishes were granted)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2013, 08:14:09 pm »
Got to thinking about my front wheel and the Son dynamo.
I have followed all the postings about charging gizmo's and lights and have finally concluded its not for me and my planned tour.
I can well see the advantages but will be happier with less to be concerned about while on the road.

Here's my dilemma. Do I sell on the dynamo with Andre CSS rims, less that 2,000 miles, and buy a new wheel from SJS?
Will I be saving much weight? Is there a market for the dynamo and wheel? Am I wearing out the dynamo by keeping it on the bike? I know the drag is minimal, it's more the additional wear to the dynamo.

Thoughts as ever much appreciated folks.

Matt

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2013, 08:22:15 pm »
Hi Matt!
Here's my dilemma. Do I sell on the dynamo with Andre CSS rims, less that 2,000 miles, and buy a new wheel from SJS?
You could...but the sale of the used SON wheel might not leave much left over after paying for a new (non-dyno) wheel to be built.
Will I be saving much weight?
Yes, some, but not where it matters. The weight of the SON is in the middle of the wheel, where the rotating weight is virtually unnoticeable.
Is there a market for the dynamo and wheel?
Yes! Assuredly!...but not at new prices. Figure about half at worst.
Am I wearing out the dynamo by keeping it on the bike?
No. Just the bearings are seeing wear, but only at the same rate as any other high-quality hub with shielded cartridge bearings. Perhaps even less, 'cos of the pressure-compensation vent that prevents moisture from being drawn into the bearings. Meanwhile, you have a nice, maintenance-free hub even if you never use it for its intended purpose. It will also (and very simply and reliably) power just your lights if you wish. It needn't also charge gadgets if you don't want to fuss with setting that up.
I know the drag is minimal, it's more the additional wear to the dynamo.
Nope; when it isn't producing electricity under load...it is just wheeling along. Yes, there are some eddy currents, but essentially no wear 'cos the internal components are non-contact.

Hope this helps, Matt. Me? I'd be inclined to keep it for awhile. Your needs might change with more extended touring use, and then you'd be ready to meet them, whether that means powering lights at night or charging gadgets...or both. The lighting part is always easy. It is the gadget charging that can become complicated depending on what you need to charge and its electrical demands. Meantime, you've already got an awfully nice hub that will be fuss-free for many, many years.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 08:59:43 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2013, 08:49:32 pm »
Matt great pic's your countryside is a lot like ours i only crossed 1 stone bridge on my spin today should have got th camera out ah well maybe next time.

for god sake dont sell your wheel you will loose a bundle on it besides come winter you will need it. ;)

rualexander

« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2013, 08:53:08 pm »
With the tour I believe you have planned, to Asia and beyond (?), I think you would be best to keep the dynamo and a decent front light at least.
You never know on these sort of tours when you might be caught out with the light fading and nowhere immediately near at hand to bed down for the night.
Or even for use during the daytime, heavy rain, fog, mist, or even tunnels.
No doubt you will be carrying a decent head torch which could be used in these circumstances but a dynamo light will be much better.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2013, 01:21:46 pm »
Many thanks chaps

The Son stays.

Matt

Matt2matt2002

Re: Matt's old bird has moved
« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2013, 10:02:22 pm »
Matts Old Bird has moved.
We have relocated from Dumfries, South west Scotland to Inverurie near Aberdeen.
Semi retired now. That means I don't want to work and Mrs. Matt insists I find a job.  :'(

I would be very pleased to meet up with any Thorn owners nearby.
Especially if they can offer me a job.  :o
( just kidding )

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2013, 10:16:54 pm »
Congratulations, Matt, on your semi-retirement and relocation to Inverurie!

Hope you'll get lots of riding in. Did you mention to your wife that you're now the Greater Aberdeen at-large field sales representative for Thorn (leaving out the part about how it is accomplished by word of mouth reviews of your own while riding with others)?

All the best,

Dan. (...Spin Doctor, who says it's all in the phrasing)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #84 on: August 16, 2013, 08:46:32 pm »
Had a nice 95 mile run today. South from Inverurie just outside Aberdeen UK.
Good weather, considerate traffic and 1,500 foot hill to test gears 1 & 2.
Only issue ithas was with the ? bolt ? on the head steerer. Not sure of the correct description but hopefully the attached photo will show it. I filled a brass bell a few moths ago and now there is rust in the socket for the Allen key.
What did I do wrong and what can I do to remove the rust and prevent it returning.

Matt

« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 08:49:05 pm by Matt2matt2002 »

rualexander

« Reply #85 on: August 16, 2013, 08:50:54 pm »
Stem cap bolt? These usually start to rust a bit, perfectly normal in our climate.
You'd need to get one made of something else if you don't like the look of a bit of superficial rust.

jags

« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2013, 08:52:00 pm »
just surface rust i reckon fit a stainless nut.
man that was a super spin 95 miles is a hell of a journey on a bike 8) respect.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2013, 10:16:26 pm »
Thanks Jags. I usually do a long one each weekend.
Last week was from home, Inverurie to Bamff and Fraserborgh  and the week before up to Peterhead. Each trip about 90 miles.
I read somewhere that the Raven and Nomads were not recommended for LEJOG but I can sit on mine all day. Granted I just take a bar bag and x3 water bottles; no panniers of course.
Brooks saddle and I am set for the day. Up and way by 7.30 am, home by 6 pm.
Perfect day.
Apart from that rusty stem cap bolt!
Matt

jags

« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2013, 11:24:54 pm »
excellent cycling matt the most i've done this year was 55miles or there abouts, gonna have to get  my arse back in the saddle for some serious miles. my sherpa is an all day bike as well not done any audax rides yes but i might give it a go  next year on the raleigh.mind you  having said that my average speed on both bikes is about the same 13 to14mph i'm happy enough at that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dahGaL6ehjc&list=UU72nZ26ikgDQVdt90ENBmXg&index=29.
not sure if you've ever seen this video matt but its a pure gem its to me what cycling is all about.
it's the kinda spins i do when the miles are in the legs, i take my wee stove but only for the to boil the kettle for a cuppa i'm probably the worst cook on the planet ::) but yeah the idea of stopping and getting the pan on is pure heaven. ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #89 on: August 16, 2013, 11:28:08 pm »
Hi Matt!

A number of new bikes come from the Far East equipped with dome-shaped rubber plugs for the stem caps. Many bike shops discard them during assembly and either toss them in the trash or in the "spares" box (one of my local shops calls this their "Anxiety Box" -- a catch-all to raid when something needs to be made to fit). A quick check at your LBS would likely turn one up.

Sadly and despite chasing them to the ends of the Internet, I have not found a ready, reliable source for these OEM plugs.

I got tired of asking and waiting for them to come available and bought a number from a vendor on AliBaba based in Xiamon, China about five years ago. Though they're no longer listed, I grabbed some at the time in 5mm and 6mm and promptly put them on Sherpa then the Nomad as a way to keep dry lake playa dust out of the allen bolt sockets. The dust settles in cavities, then concretizes when it gets wet, making it is horrible to remove and chip out so you can get an an allen key in for service. You can see photos of them in my cranksets, pedal spindle sockets, brake bolts, etc. in my Danneaux's Sherpa and Danneaux's Nomad galleries or directly here:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3896.0;attach=1036
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4523.0;attach=2077
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4523.0;attach=2423

The reason why these bolt sockets rust is during the plating process, the chrome builds up on convex surfaces but not so much on concave ones. Given there's not much plating in the socket wells and they hold water, it is no surprise they rust. The ultimate solution is to replace the bolts with stainless-steel button-head or cylinder-head versions, and/or find and install those little rubber caps.

As for removing the rust, a bit of metal polish on the end of a cotton swab can do wonders. My favorite metal polish is ammonia-based Blue Magic 'cos it leave a protective silicone coating behind to prevent rust recurring, but Simichrome, Flitz, or others can work just as well.

Congratulations on the 95-miler, Matt -- Good on ya! Terrific to hear you're getting out and about on the Old Bird!

All the best,

Dan.