Author Topic: Matt's old bird  (Read 73279 times)

Matt2matt2002

Re: Matt's old bird
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2013, 05:59:11 pm »
Hi Matt,

A couple of small points, the front mudguards could do with a few spacers to bring the front down and give more clearance for the brake cable. I might be wrong but you won't be able to fit panniers to the front rack with that tubing on.

Bob

Thanks Bob - always good to receive hints and tips.
I will follow your advice re the front guard.

That tubing on the front actually allows me to fit the Ortlieb panniers tight on the front racks.
Without it they were rattling around.
I have Altura on the back and they fitted fine. Strange. But it works now.
Thanks again
Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2013, 06:01:54 pm »
That tubing on the front actually allows me to fit the Ortlieb panniers tight on the front racks. Without it they were rattling around.
I'm guessing you've chosen to fit the Orts without the sizing-adapter spacers in the hooks?

That can be a smart thing to do provided the effective rack diameter is large enough (say, as a result of wrapping). It means there are no adapters to become loose/lost, as has sometimes happened to others in the past.

Best,

Dan.

bobs

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2013, 06:36:50 pm »
Honestly thought it would have been too thick. Going to do it with mine.

Bob

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2013, 06:37:33 pm »
I'm guessing you've chosen to fit the Orts without the sizing-adapter spacers in the hooks?

That can be a smart thing to do provided the effective rack diameter is large enough (say, as a result of wrapping). It means there are no adapters to become loose/lost, as has sometimes happened to others in the past.

Best,

Dan.

I bought the panniers off eBay and they came without the inner fittings. So the solution was to fit the tubing.
But I like the idea of protecting the racks. And as you say, it makes the bike a bit more personal.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2013, 06:45:05 pm »
Ooh! Pictures!  ;D

Matt,

I think you did a fine job on the bike, and each addition or change personalizes it for your use and makes it that much more "yours". The foam pads on the handlebars look very nice indeed, the mudguards are in place and ready to go, and the rack padding is done.

Pretty soon, everything will be finished and the bike can start accumulating some real distance under you!

My, what a lovely-looking machine; you can be proud!

All the best,

Dan.

Thanks Dan. Unfortunately the rear guard still has to be fitted. I have trouble with the bolts to attach the guard to the frame. Both at the lower stay and the upper stay.
Andy who sold me the bike may have the ones he used but I called SJS and was mega impressed.
I described the problem to the lady who answered the phone and she understood the problem ( not meaning to say that young ladies shouldn't ) and then she passed me to a young man ( at my age most folk I speak to are young!) and Chris ( I think ) listened again as I explained the problem.
He was a bit perplexed at why the bolts shouldn't fit but said he would have a word with the workshop folk and then pop a couple in to post!
I was we'll pleased.
A great example of why Thorn has such a good reputation.

Matt - who is half guarded at the moment.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2013, 06:46:28 pm »
Hi Bob!

The Ortlieb hooks alone are a nominal 16mm. The spacers come in two sizes, one set for racks of ~8mm in diameter, the other for racks of ~10mm. I say "~" because the hooks are about 0.1mm to 0.23mm larger than the intended rack diameter; there's a little "wiggle-room".

Only caution I can offer is to say the success of rack-wrapping depends on the wall thickness of the tubing used and the friction coefficient. I had terrible luck using EDPM fuel-line rubber as it was too sticky and didn't accept or release the hooks very well. The cross-hatch-reinforced clear vinyl-based stuff Matt is using seems to work the best of anything so far. It also looks pretty snazzy with the little cross-hatchings looking kinda high-techy.

Going "wrapped and adapter-free" is nice over the long haul, 'cos with wear and friction, the adapters can become loose in the hooks and can begin to fall out. People have tried all sorts of solutions at that point, from gluing the adapters in with SeamGrip to tying them in with dental floss...none of which seems to work too well, but are viable shorter-term solutions while on a very long or remote tour. Leave the adapters out and wrap the racks, and all those potential problems go away *and* the rack stays pretty and unabraded.

Despite all the advantages I uh, haven't done mine yet. 'Need to get with it.

All the best,

Dan. (...whose usual motto is *not* "Don't do today what you can put off till tomorrow")
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 06:48:32 pm by Danneaux »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2013, 06:06:15 pm »
Just took Bob's advice and fitted a couple of washers to the front guard and as suggested the brake cable now clears the top.
Many thanks Bob

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2013, 06:13:34 pm »
Still struggling with the rear guard folks :'(

Take a look at my snaps.

I am unable to thread the bolt into the lower stay (may have some new bolts coming from SJS) but the fitting instructions with the Chromoplastic guards suggest using the supplied clip on the lower strut.
I have set it up but the clip does not hold the guard tight.
Does this ever work for anyone or should I stick to trying to bolt the guard directly to the frame?
Thanks folks

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2013, 06:34:35 pm »
Matt,

You're going to have to remove the clips and bolt the mudguards directly to the frame. In the long run, it really is a more secure method, and Thorn have thoughtfully provided the threaded mounts for just that purpose. Also, many of Thorn's bridges are oversized and/or ovalized compared to those on other bikes, so the attached mudguard clips would have a difficult time holding on securely.

You're doing well...just persist to the end and all your hard work and efforts will be rewarded with a secure, rattle-free installation for years to come.

All the best,

Dan.

rualexander

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2013, 07:22:07 pm »
Until you get the correct bolts, just take the clip off and use a cable tie to hold the mudguard tight in place, make a hole in the mudguard for the cable tie if there isn't one where you remove the clip.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2013, 07:32:05 pm »
Here's how mine looks, Matt...

The number and size of spacers you need will depend on the bike's chainstay length, bridge placement, tire size, desired clearance, etc.

Best,

Dan.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2013, 07:56:12 pm »
Until you get the correct bolts, just take the clip off and use a cable tie to hold the mudguard tight in place, make a hole in the mudguard for the cable tie if there isn't one where you remove the clip.

Great tip. Thanks

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2013, 07:57:30 pm »
Here's how mine looks, Matt...

The number and size of spacers you need will depend on the bike's chainstay length, bridge placement, tire size, desired clearance, etc.

Best,

Dan.

Thanks Dan. Looks good.
Still can't get the supplied bolt to go into the frame.
SJS said they will send me a couple so will report back as progress is made.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2013, 01:27:15 pm »
A bolt out of the blue

I thought I had gone over everything on the Old Bird, but yesterday as I was fitting my new Cat eye Adventure speedo I came across a couple of bolts on the right fork.
see pix
Are they for mounting a light bracket on?

They kinda get on the way of the cable ties but it worked out OK in the end

Matt

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2013, 02:12:41 pm »
I think they are for mounting a bottle dynamo.