Author Topic: Which camera do you use on your bike?  (Read 6802 times)

rualexander

Re: Which camera do you use on your bike?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 03:38:23 pm »
Here's an example of the lens flare issue I have with the Fuji X10 and here's a link to more of my photos with the same problem.
Have any of you X10 users experienced the same issue?
It's not just my camera because I have seen several othe examples of it from other users on flickr.

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2013, 04:54:09 pm »
Hi are you using a Len Hood?

Why are taking photos into the Sun!

Pete . . .

The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

rualexander

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2013, 06:09:41 pm »
Hi are you using a Len Hood?

Why are taking photos into the Sun!

Pete . . .

No I don't use a lens hood because it makes no difference, I tried, the angle to the sun is too low at the point where the flare starts to appear.
I'm taking photos into the sun because that is the best view at those particular times and places, and I've never had a problem doing so with previous cameras. Maybe a  small amount of normal lens flare but not the large blue blotches that the X10 produces.

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2013, 06:35:13 pm »
Ok
Then you need a Leica M9 or M9P!

Pete . . . .
The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2013, 06:52:13 pm »
Hi Rual!

Sympathy and empathy your way. As an intentional sun-shooter myself, I've found the problem worsening on recent digital cameras. I never had a single problem with my old Pentax Optio S4 from 8 or so years ago, but then Pentax had some remarkable lens coatings, courtesy in part due to Hoya, now long-gone as well. Pentax is now just a name compared to days past; it has now been folded into the Ricoh Imaging group and is not the same company as provided my old SLR and early digital cameras and lenses.

Small sensors (relatively, compared to DSLRs, anyway) and long zoom ranges (my current has an optical range of 25-500mm in 35mm equivalent) have led to a greater incidence of flare, and much of it seems to be off-axis to the light source, where no lens hood really helps -- just as you've observed. My Panasonic TZ-9 with Leica-branded optics has lens flare nearly identical to yours in color, placement, and shape.

A more recent problem that has cropped up with some cameras like my Sony HX20 in odd circumstances is sensor flare (it seems nearly immune to lens flare, and sensor flare examples have been uploaded by other owners so it is not just my example). It seems to affect small-sensor, big-range travel-zooms in particular, and is a reflection of as many as 9 flares in a pattern reflected on the rear lens element and then picked up by the imager in a self-exposure. I've found a raised hand just out of the field of view does wonders at eliminating it completely, but I have to watch for it. It takes a just-right shallow-angle oblique entry of light to cause it. I can't cause it even shooting deliberately toward the sun. It is either No Problem the bulk of the time or Oops, the Aliens have Landed (see attached samples I just shot below). A bit different from your case, which looks like a genuine lens flare to me.

Best,

Dan. (...who takes photos with flare, but didn't want this kind)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 07:15:35 pm by Danneaux »

Andre Jute

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 01:02:08 am »
I like my photos to exhibit flair but abhor flare.

Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 01:35:53 am »
Yeh, what you said, Andre!  :D

Best,

Dan. (...who thinks the rule is if "i" after "a", then no "e" at the end  :P)

gover_1

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 08:06:46 am »
When I was looking at cameras around six months ago I seem to rememeber the x10 lens flare being a known issue. I think that they revised the sensor to resolve the issue, you may be able to send you x10 to Fuji for a replacement lens. Myself I ended up with a Nikon 1 series. It replaced an aging cannon dslr and is a revelation to me, image quality at least as good as the Cannon except the colours where the Nikon is far superior, but compact enough to throw in the bar bag with a wide(fish) angle and a telephoto lens. Very pleased with it. I am no serious photographer I like a manual zoom and apprrture control but do not need the other features of a dslr .

As a teaser for danneaux- I was out with it at the weekend on a 95 mile shake down ride of my newly finished Sherpa. Pictures to follow next week when I am home ( currently away for business)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 08:19:34 am »
As a teaser for danneaux- I was out with it at the weekend on a 95 mile shake down ride of my newly finished Sherpa. Pictures to follow next week when I am home
Oh! Looking forward to seeing the photos, Mark. I know this one has been "in the oven" cooking for awhile, and the best things are always worth waiting for!

Best,

Dan.

honesty

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 09:10:52 am »
I recently upgraded my Samsung ex1 to a panasonic G5, now I'll be taking a bar bag with this and a tele and mid zoom lens. The image quality is fantastic. I have to say though that if I were to choose one specifically for taking with me on the bike it would be at the moment the Sony RX100 with its huge sensor for the segment, or the panasonic LX7 (or LX5 as you can get them reasonably cheap at the moment). Lens flare is a problem with small sensor cameras with fast lenses... the X10 definitely had problems with white orbs turning up in shots. There was a lot of wailing about it on various photo fora.

il padrone

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 11:52:34 am »
Dan. (...who thinks the rule is if "i" after "a", then no "e" at the end  :P)
You mean like..... flair  ???

Or flare like this??

Sorry about the off-topic  :-X

jags

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 12:29:57 pm »
there lovely flares  ;D ;D

Andre Jute

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 03:27:27 am »
You mean like..... flair  ???

They certainly wear flares but whether they do so with flair is a matter of opinion. Me, I'm not sure I could manage not to look embarrassed, and I used to dress in Kerry Green and Aubergine flares out of Fletcher Stretchers (ask the Australians to explain) and in cashmere jackets I ordered from Jetset Tailors in Singapore by the never-failing rubric, "Do you have any left of that bolt of cloth that was too loud for the Duke," the Duke being the cowboy actor John Wayne, who was told by his wife that if he ordered a jacket in a cloth that gave me no pause whatsoever, he was headed straight for the divorce courts!

Andre Jute