Author Topic: F***ity b*****ks, a 'hoffin' disaster  (Read 9759 times)

jags

Re: F***ity b*****ks, a 'hoffin' disaster
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 01:24:00 pm »
so true every 100 mile or so take the sproket off  clean it and the hub to perfection  apply copper grease  bobs your uncle. ;D
thats a nifty wee tool you have there  btw,

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2013, 03:20:25 pm »
All this sounds good, I cant recomend it though as i'm still yet to see one here that has seized on... everyone I have taken off still has the coating or grease on the threads i'm fairly convinced its a technique issue to be honest, it just needs a few good jerks, as pushing harder and harder as people have noticed just breaks the chainwhip as the stress is going on the chain on the whip rather than the force being transfered to the sprocket.

jimmer

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2013, 05:35:57 pm »
Dear All,

Got the new removal tool in the post yesterday.

The sprocket came off after three sudden hefts, deploying as abrupt and forceful a technique as I'd tried previously. The outer threads were "wet" from what I assume to be the penetrating oil I'd used.

I'll use anti seize to reassemble.

Evidently one jerk is sufficient to remove the sprocket, me.

Yours, James

lewis noble

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2013, 05:39:48 pm »
Just as well you've kept your sense of humour, James, as well as sorted the hub!!

We have all been there . . . . 'What have I done?'  'How do I get this sorted?' 

Good luck

Lewis

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2013, 05:51:01 pm »
James!

So glad to hear the sprocket is off and things are sorted at this point. Sure sorry you had the stress and difficulty all such things cause; as Lewis said..."We've all been there", so your plight rang bells close to home.

Hopefully the worst is behind and only sunny days ahead.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 06:24:46 pm by Danneaux »

jimmer

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2013, 06:01:11 pm »
Dear Dan,

Thanks for the kind thoughts but sunny days are the worst. For they are when I pine most keenly for the open road out of Brum, visible through my lab window over the nodding heads of my students.

Yours, James

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2013, 06:24:27 pm »
...sunny days are the worst. For they are when I pine most keenly for the open road out of Brum, visible through my lab window...
Lab "accident" as shortcut? Or something that simply generates enough harmless smoke for a temporary closure some sunny day?
The mind wanders and wonders when the sunshine calls, and indulging in a trip to Fantasyland from time to time helps it pass a bit more quickly...

All the best,

Dan. (...who doesn't mean to plant ideas but if it makes the papers and evening newscast, Danneaux had nothin' to do with it)

Cambirder

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2013, 10:30:51 pm »
I had my first crack at this today after chickening out of a 200k audax because of the horrible weather. Glad I had a read of this 1st. I was worried my chain whip might not be man enough for the job however tightly griping it and the spanner with one hand and giving the whip a sharp tap with a hammer with the other loosened the sprocket first go, which was a nice surprise as I thought it would be somewhat more arduous battle.

So I now have a nice new chain running over a reversed sprocket. After 8000km and 2 chains the wear looked quite significant so I expect I will need a new one in another 8K, is that par for the course for a 17T sprocket?