Author Topic: Rides 2013 — add yours  (Read 34499 times)

Andre Jute

Rides 2013 — add yours
« on: January 31, 2013, 10:46:23 am »
Off for a ride, second one of the year, I think. Meeting the pedal pals at the Mart (for the Americans, that's the cattle market -- I live in country town in a farming community) at noon. Weather 10ēC, sunshine until 3pm, then overcast, 25mph wind, so we'll ride a lane up a valley for protection, then over the hills through a forest, be exposed for a bit to enjoy the best view, and come back the same way rather than go down to the river where a 25mph wind is a real howler, on the verge of being dangerous for the lighter riders.

Here's the best forecast for my area http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/296315 Fill in your own town name.

Andre Jute

EDIT: As I hit "send", it started raining heavily... [SIGH]
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 10:51:50 am by Hobbes »

pelago

Re: Rides 2013 — add yours
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 02:22:30 pm »
Off for a ride, second one of the year, I think. Meeting the pedal pals at the Mart (for the Americans, that's the cattle market -- I live in country town in a farming community) at noon. Weather 10ēC, sunshine until 3pm, then overcast, 25mph wind, so we'll ride a lane up a valley for protection, then over the hills through a forest, be exposed for a bit to enjoy the best view, and come back the same way rather than go down to the river where a 25mph wind is a real howler, on the verge of being dangerous for the lighter riders.

Here's the best forecast for my area http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/296315 Fill in your own town name.

Andre Jute

EDIT: As I hit "send", it started raining heavily... [SIGH]

Sorry, that page wasn't found

Please check your typing and try again

jags

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 02:43:08 pm »
i'm still waiting for a good day Andre  ::) but to be totally honest i'm just a lazy one*, can't motivate myself to get some training in and this  weather ain't helping any.
i cleaned and polished my sherpa yesterday so i ain't taking it out on these wet mucky roads to get it all dirty again  ;D ;D yeah i'm a sad person my get up and go got up and went. :-[

[*Admin: Dan-edit for language]
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 06:46:57 pm by Danneaux »

JWestland

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 02:57:38 pm »
Commuting sorts that for me...yesterday the wind was so bad in places I got blown sideways on a pedestrian/cyclist promenade, had to unclip and put the foot down, but had to drop bike else I'd have gone too.

Then when I lifted it (and my XTC is 13.5 KG atm with dynohub etc.) it literally got blown sideways by the wind, hanging from my arms.

Though I wasn't so happy on the roads....slow going in case Mr White Van Man was nearby ready to give me 4 inc of space...if lucky ;)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 03:44:46 pm by JWestland »
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

jags

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 03:16:22 pm »
yeah be careful jawine in those strong gusty windy a wee thing like yourself can get blown away  ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 05:18:24 pm »
Sorry, that page wasn't found

Please check your typing and try again

Sorry. The number must refer to an already obsolete forecast. Try this, and fill in the name of your own town:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

Andre Jute

Andre Jute

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 06:15:08 pm »
We did get a ride in yesterday, starting an hour late. But it was a misery. First some moron in a glazing company's van ran two of us in succession into the ditch, then we rode a ridge on the way home where the wind stopped some of the lighter cyclist dead even on a steepish downhill, and my thighs felt like blocks of ice right through a thick cotton tracksuit and angora long johns. It was such a misery that this morning, when it was fine enough to ride (if you were looking out from behind glass) I walked out with my wife instead of trying for another ride.

I see on the net that AP reports that in Ireland  January was the dullest month since 1964, less sunshine and rain on more days than any month for half a century.

Andre Jute
Bring back global warming!

jags

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 06:38:05 pm »
It's not great cycling weather Andre, i just left my grandaughter home  she's only 3 and when i was putting her into he car she said,, freezing granda  ;D ;D.

roll on the summer or even global warming. ::)

JWestland

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 10:50:55 pm »
Van men generally drive like total morons...in town I just block them so I don't end up trying to find my teeth as there's no ditch to go into!

On cycling notes Belfast to Castle Espie waterfowl sanctuary is a lovely 22 mile roundtrip mostly on cycle lanes so is the Belfast to Lisburn Towpath route :)

Andre Jute

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 11:41:34 am »
Van men generally drive like total morons...in town I just block them so I don't end up trying to find my teeth as there's no ditch to go into!

Since his van is so wide, and he's a stranger to the narrow lane, I would've blocked this one until the next intersection only fifty yards ahead, but he came hard on the heels of a local farmer's wife, well known to me, who I let through, so I had no chance to take the lane again.

It might be smart to rig my camera to the bike again so we can get their numbers. Even if the police won't act, I'm a master publicist and if an idiot in a van costs his employers business, his job will soon be gone, something we could build into a controversy. Adverse publicity is also useful in motivating the police.

Or I might start carrying my Abus Grant X 54 again in the handy clip within reach of my hand on the seat post; it's a most useful three-pound hammer!

Andre Jute
Name and Shame White Van Man!

bikepacker

• Bikepacker
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 01:14:31 pm »
Just completed my first 500 miles of this year. I was hoping to do it in the month of January but having 5 days off the bike in London didn't help.

Can't understand why others don't get the right gear for the weather and get out cycling.  ??? ???
If you want to be happy learn to be alone without being lonely.
If you want to enjoy the world see it from the saddle of a bike.
If you want to experience beauty camp alone in a spectacular place.
If you want release your anxieties cease excuses and take actions.

JWestland

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2013, 01:57:32 pm »
Well a friendly phone call advicing company might be first step after all we all make mistakes if van driver says sorry and checks mirrors more often that's all that's needed?

I am learning to drive and it's true cyclists can be hard to see. (though sometimes it's obvious driver was legally blind ;)

Unfortunately mr van man here generally has no logos so without a cam nothing much I can do.

jags

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 01:58:39 pm »
BE careful Andre when people get behind a wheel they turn into looneys  so you could be hitting the wrong looney  ;)bikepacker thats serious miles this time of year i do have the gear its the mindset i'm missing. ::)

Andybg

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2013, 02:47:23 pm »
Well I managed to get out for a run on the bike today. The car suffered brake failure yesterday and a strip down and inspection this morning showed that the rear brake shoe had disintergrated allowing the brake cylinder in the wheel to pop the piston out so a quick 40km cycle into our local town for some new shoes. Planning to have the kids tomorrow and it is the only vehicle we have that fits the 3 kids in the back.

Car fixed and cobwebs blown off the bike. It has been a very snowy January here so only put just over 200km on the bike but have manage nearly 150km running and over 100km rowing so not too bad a month. Looking forward to March when I can hang up the running shoes and let the rower gather some more dust. Have put 8kg on over winter so it will be time to get back into shape - lol

Andy

jags

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 04:57:18 pm »
busy times Andy i have some weight to shift as well if only i hadn't a sweet tooth. ::)

just in from a 20 mile spin lovely day but cold hopefully i get a good spin in tomorrow. i was going great around the start of january but this is my first outing in 2 weeks and boy did i feel it.
i hate making plans because everytime i do something comes up to spoil them so i take one day at a time. ;)