Author Topic: New Garmin Edge 810  (Read 11676 times)

Pavel

Re: New Garmin Edge 810
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 06:23:03 pm »
I've had four garmins to date (two models the same because of repeated problems) and really value a gps.  That said, I find the software shockingly poor for such an expensive device.  During our trip all three Garmins experienced some kind of problems ... mostly with poor usb interfaces - I think that the usb port is cheaply soldered on perhaps? but I did find them to be invaluable. 

I had the 800 for a while and loved the way that Garmin has changed the mount menthol.  Very nice-Simple, and reliable.

I still have one garmin (the one that gave us the least trouble, Bianca's Etrex) but before I spend big bucks on another model I am likely to investigate the use of an iPod Touch along with a Biologic battery/case and a gps puck.  I wonder if that is not the better way to go .. and the future.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 07:47:38 pm »
Yeah, this place is a toutery for all kinds of unnecessary equipment and upgrades. I say, Buy once and ride it into the ground. Good stuff should last forever.

THE RESISTANCE FRONT STARTS HERE.

Andre Jute

PS Not implying that a cyclist traversing the long reach of Africa cannot use and shouldn't have the best satellite navigation: of course he should; be silly not to. Just wondering what earthly good it is for those of us who cycle on known roads in civilized places with plenty of reliable signposts.

What a great place this is.
Here i was considering splashing out on a edge 800 from eBay, when I read the above comments.

Thinking about my general riding I questioned whether or not I really needed the 800.
I frequently get lost, even 25 miles from home.
And guess what? I ask folk for directions and find the road home. And I like asking folk, even when some of them send me in the wrong direction! It's the contact with folk I like.
When I cycle up to them they can see I am no threat and appear to enjoy helping me out.

I always have a map with me and this helps break the ice with my helper outer.

Thanks Andre. You just saved me £140.00

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

jags

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 09:52:23 pm »
well of course Andre is 100% correct but i bet he has plenty of gadgets on that beautfull bike of his  ;)
matt i'm with you i dont find it hard to ask some pilgrim the way its always a good excuse to have a natter and a rest.
mind you i admit i do have a garmin legend seldom use it though i know every laneway within 50 mile of me ;D ;D besides i havent a clue how to plan a route on the fecken thing. ::)

Andre Jute

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2013, 01:38:54 am »
Thanks Andre. You just saved me £140.00

Nothing but a pleasure, Matt.

well of course Andre is 100% correct but i bet he has plenty of gadgets on that beautfull bike of his  ;)

I'm never such a hypocrite! All I have on my bike is a cycling computer (Sigma base model, the 506) and an inexpensive heart rate monitor (the Sigma PC40). I don't even mount my iPhone, leaving it in my pocket or the bag. Like you chaps, when I get lost, I ask. Ireland's such a friendly place, if you just stand still beside your bike, people will stop to ask if you need help.

il padrone

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2013, 04:26:40 am »
I don't bother with the Garmin 500/700/800/810 bike computer substitutes. Their battery life is shockingly poor.

I use a Garmin eTrex 30. It has a battery life in excess of 4 days and runs AA batteries, so I just carry 6-8 lithium batteries and I'm right for up to two weeks.

Satellite GPS may seem a bit spurious and I certainly don't use mine too much for known roads (known to me that is). Mostly I rely on my own knowledge and I have very good spatial awareness (geography teacher). However even for reasonably local tours where I am off on some of the minor roads and tracks the GPS is very valuable. It clearly shows you exactly where you are and allows easy straight-line measurements to a destination, amogst other things.

Certainly when it came to our tour of Italy and navigating into and out of busy Italian towns, the GPS was invaluable. The maps we had were fairly poor on closer detail approaching many towns and the road names and places weren't always accurately shown. Asking directions was often rather spurious when you factor in the language issue and the differing road choice outlook of a local motorist or pedestrian compared to us on bikes. It was so very easy to zoom in and out on the screen or pan to another location, to give detailed roads and street names to boot, all without having to pull out or unfold a map.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:32:17 am by il padrone »

chezstevens

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2013, 06:41:55 pm »
Hi Folks, first post  ;D
Now retired, but for 35+ yrs was a navigator in the RAF, could happily navigate around the world using astro etc but couldn't find my way to the pub on the ground (or was it find my wallet?).
Now retired, to stay in reasonable shape (red wine is cheap in France) I cycle, together with my wife, but nothing drastic ... up to 210-280 km per week. Remember I said I couldn't navigate ... well, when we have got truly lost down some tracks in the back of beyond, this is where the Garmin 810 comes into its own (wife won't have it navigate us out 'cos I get distracted), I input home and a few seconds later it shows you the way (you can arrange not to join a motorway etc).  If you bimble along and fancy a different route home; then ignore it and it would recalculate (just don't tell SWMBO).  At the end of the trip you can hook it up to a laptop and keep the route.

+

1. Gives you an update of km done so that you don't get SWMBO debrief 'cos you have gone to far.
2. Gives you total km done (on laptop) since last event (servicing etc).
3. Can use with gloves.
4. Navigates.
5. About 8 hrs battery life - hook it up to Hub II+?
6. Current speed (so that you can try and best your last downhill push)
7. Average speed and other stats (calories burnt ::), total distance covered).  These information panels on each page can be set by rider depending on what you are interested in.
8. POIs so you can find closest cafe or bun shop.
9. Can use many different map sources.
10. Routes can be pre-planned using Garmin Express (basically a interactive/intuitive online electronic map).
_

1. Screen isn't great with direct sunlight.
2. It navigates (if enjoying the ride with SWMBO who doesn't)

Currently riding a Lynskey R255 with Ultegra compact 12-32 (I am knackered and we have hills); but have just asked, as winter approaches, for a quote on a Mercury with Rohloff transmission.  Downside of this ... if I like it then SWMBO will want one, upside ... cycling in winter, limited cleanup, both of us happy with life  ;D
Otherwise ride a R1200RT across North Africa thru to Turkey, tho' lately it has only bimbled around France.

Sorry about that, wanted to give my two pennyworth about Garmin 810 and rambled on ... happens when you retire!

Vern
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 06:04:46 am by chezstevens »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2013, 07:59:15 pm »
Hi Vern!

Welcome to the Thorn Cycling Forums!

Thanks for the real-world user impressions of the Garmin Edge 810; bound to be helpful to those looking to buy, seeing if it will meet their needs

Your plans for a possible Mercury (or brace of same) sound exciting as well. You'll find the Forum a ready, helpful resource should you have any questions during the selection process.

Actually, the BMW airhead alternative isn't a bad one; there's several owners of those (motor)bikes on the Forum who would likely be delighted at just such a journey!

In any case, welcome aboard, and know all best wishes are with you for what sounds to be an exciting and fulfilling retirement ahead!

Best,

Dan.

chezstevens

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2013, 06:14:27 am »
Hi Dan,
Just wished that I had found cycling earlier.  I have found, although I take strong medicine etc for some major bone/nerve issues in neck and lower back, it is the cycling that helps to keep my core in good shape (and hence reduces the pain). I could increase my core strength by just hitting the gym but where is the fun in that?
I have always loved motorcycles (my oilhead is 8 yrs old now, servicing done by me), you are closer to what is around you through smell, sound etc; the cycling is the same (although quieter and slower) and we are lucky to live in a relatively (compared to a mate who lives near the Pyrenees) flat area.
Next week should explain to me why a Thorn Mercury works over, for instance, a TT Silkroad GT.
Vern

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2014, 03:40:25 pm »
Soooooo
Does anybody actually have or own or use a Garmin Edge 810???
I own a 705 and an 800 so I'm not interested in those
What I want to know is...

Can you send data wirelessly between the Edge810 and your smartphone IF YOU ARE SAVING YOUR DATA TO AN SD CARD rather than internal?

I started a thread on the warmshowers Facebook group, its had a million responses telling me everything I already know but no one wants to read what I'm actually asking :)

Thought I would see if I have more luck here.

If the answer to my question is yes I will be selling my Edge 705 (brand new factory refurb) and my Edge 800 (full working order)
I'm trying to leave the laptop at home on my next tour and having the ability to upload your days rides via the phone is one more reason to not need a computer.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy

mickeg

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2014, 04:04:18 pm »
Richie, sorry I did not answer your question.  I wrote the following and posted it before I realized this thread is quite old.

I use a vintage Garmin Legend or Garmin Vista, older models that have limited memory and black and white screens.  I like them because they use AA batteries and I carry enough rechargeable AA batteries for about a week.  The only real disadvantage is that they do not hold a continent of maps.  On my last tour, I used up all the memory in the Vista to hold 900 miles of maps along my route.

On my last trip I also carried a Garmin 62S in my handlebar bag which is similar to Dans GPS.  That holds lots of maps and I could pull that out when I got confused about where to go.  Once I had things figured out again, it went back in the handlebar bag and I relied on the vintage one that was on my handlebar.

One fault with the 62S is that the screen shuts off to save battery, but if the unit runs out of battery it shuts down and it looks the same as if it had just shut off the screen.  So, I have run out of battery and not realized that until I tried to turn the screen back on and found that the unit was off.  My older black and white screen GPS units leave the screen on.

I use a separate heart rate monitor and a separate cycle computer.

Sorry about the bad focus in the photo, that is the best photo I have from my recent trip that shows the GPS.  My heart rate monitor not shown, it was on my wrist.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 04:06:40 pm by mickeg »

richie thornger

• Batman to Robben
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2014, 05:02:53 pm »
Haha no worries. It's all handy info for someone in the future :)

The reason I'm asking is because all the Edge series are notorious for having the USB short in bad weather.
That's why I urge anyone to save the data to the card rather than internally.

This might not be such an issue on the 810 because you can set it up to wirelessly transfer automatically to your phone at the end of the ride.
Even if you are out of signal this is at least an extra backup done at the end of each day providing you have your phone on when you finish your ride.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy