Author Topic: New Garmin Edge 810  (Read 11697 times)

ianshearin

New Garmin Edge 810
« on: January 20, 2013, 02:02:50 pm »
Garmin have released the latest cycling computer

http://sites.garmin.com/edge/

Looks very similar to the 800 but I do like the 'pairing' with smart phones, that feature alone is making this the front runner for me.

Seems that retailers sell in 3 options, Stand alone unit, Unit with all the heart rate bits and Unit with the heart rate gear and a SD map.

Ian
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

jags

Re: New Garmin Edge 810
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 03:34:05 pm »
looks great ian but i would need that guy from garmin to come along on every spin to operate that gadget for me.Way to much going on there for my little brain. ???

ZeroBike

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 04:25:30 pm »
I read a really good review on it the other day.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/01/garmin-edge-810-in-depth-review.html

The 810 has some nice features that the 810 dosent although as far as I can see, you still need a phone connection to plot a course. 

ZeroBike

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 04:26:14 pm »
looks great ian but i would need that guy from garmin to come along on every spin to operate that gadget for me.Way to much going on there for my little brain. ???

TBH you'd be fine with it after a few weeks of using it.

jags

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 06:42:49 pm »
TBH you'd be fine with it after a few weeks of using it.

well maybe a couple months ;D ;D
ahh to be honest i couldn't afford it anyway i use   the garmin legend hcx ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 06:51:07 pm »
well maybe a couple months ;D ;D
ahh to be honest i couldn't afford it anyway i use   the garmin legend hcx ;)

Yeah, this place is a toutery for all kinds of unnecessary equipment and upgrades. I say, Buy once and ride it into the ground. Good stuff should last forever.

THE RESISTANCE FRONT STARTS HERE.

Andre Jute

PS Not implying that a cyclist traversing the long reach of Africa cannot use and shouldn't have the best satellite navigation: of course he should; be silly not to. Just wondering what earthly good it is for those of us who cycle on known roads in civilized places with plenty of reliable signposts.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 07:49:08 pm by Hobbes »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 07:01:21 pm »
THE RESISTANT FRONT STARTS HERE.
We.must.hold.the.line, Andre.
Buy once and ride it into the ground.
Doin' my part with my father's 1938 Hercules coaster-brake and a slew of bikes from the '70s and '80s. Kinda blew it with the 2012 Nomad, but that's the line in the sand for the next 30-odd years.
Good stuff should last forever.
Right!

The real reason of course, is I become so attached through shared memories, I cannot bear to part with any of them.

As jags would say, "Mental".

All the best,

Dan. (...Luddite by sentimentality, rather than intent)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 07:07:07 pm by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 07:16:38 pm »
i got lost in a car park one time. :-[

Andre Jute

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 07:52:22 pm »
i got lost in a car park one time. :-[

You NEED the latest Garmin!

jags

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 08:06:33 pm »
i wont need a garmin for where i'm going. ::)

ianshearin

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 09:53:48 pm »
There is a very good and valid reason for purchasing the garmin..

When asked why I bought it I will reply In the words of a great adventurer "because it was there"

In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

jags

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 10:10:00 pm »
Ian i know you told us about your epic tour but can you remind me again where it is your going. :-[
and when exactly is all this happening.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 10:26:10 pm »
Nudging ever so gently back on-topic...

Two "classes" of bicycle-mounted GPS have emerged to cover very different markets:

1) GPS primarily as training aid packed with street maps that allows integration of training and social media via cellphone-upload-assist. These seem to be generally better suited for training and laying out rides in smaller areas closer to home and civilization...a bit more like a GPS-equipped runner's training watch.

2) A full-on "Adventuring" GPS for use on- and off-road apart from (and not integrated) with a smart/cellphone. These can be pre-loaded with maps to allow direct navigation in unknown areas far from one's home ground, and do not integrate any training functions or means for uploading to social media/cellphone integration.

I went with the latter, preferring a Garmin Oregon 400T -- basically a hiker's GPS -- 'cos I could load it with City and Street (Garmin's designations) maps as well as Topos (topographical maps) for most of the world. While it will pair with Garmin's bicycle cadence reporting unit, it is really a field-standalone unit with greater capabilities in route planning and waypoint/track up/downloading provided via Garmin's MapSource and BaseCamp computer software and purchased or homemade maps. By selecting the appropriate maps and "profiles", I can use the GPS in the same way as I would a dedicated car unit -- it only lacks voice prompts but is otherwise functionally the same in that mode. I've also got my hiking trails, cross-country maps, etc. in full contour or with sat-photo overlays as I desire, and can make my own maps to scan and load into the unit. This is really handy if -- like me -- you set out cross-country or don't follow the roads or go on roads too small to have been mapped by the folks at Garmin. It is worth noting Garmin miss a *lot* of roads in the extremely rural/remote Western US -- particularly Nevada, in my experience -- so the topo maps and triangulating position by terrain and compass and paper/homegrown maps are really helpful.

From my previous deep involvement in geocaching, I know the later GPS-equipped smartphones work well even apart from cell-tower signals. However, earlier Assisted-GPS (AGPS) phones depended on a signal to work in a timely manner, especially if they have not been used for GPS work for awhile (i.e. a couple weeks or 20 miles from last location). They used cell-tower connections to download updates to their satellite-tracking algorithms. Such GPS-assist allows a device to predict where the satellites will be located in a given timeframe rather than searching the entire sky -- my camera works the same way for GPS-tagging my photos, downloading satellite orbits a month at a time).

The advantage of a smart phone with a dedicated GPS chip is they use satellites when they can; when they can't they use other methods to approximate location. Newer phones have other tricks as well -- they can use the IP address of your WIFI network to approximate your location. They can also triangulate your position using a cellular connection to spot your location to within a hundred meters or so, depending on how many masts they can see at the time. The downside to the later phones with GPS chips is they do motor through batteries pretty quickly, so if you want continuous tracking, they have to be powered by a dynohub or buffer battery. The same caveat applies to a standalone GPS used continuously, though some (Il Padrone's) have much better battery life than others.

Before selecting a bike-mountable GPS, I think it is worth asking yourself how you'll be using it, and where. Some simply excel at one kind of use and are understandably a bit lacking in other areas. If you're training for fitness and are a recreational rider who ventures in or near cities and wish the camaraderie or competition of tracking and sharing your fitness with or against others, then a GPS biased toward that use will make you happiest. If you're really going back-of-beyond, then perhaps a GPS dedicated to that market would better fit your needs, though lacking in fitness tracking and social-media connections. A gentle reminder in closing: It is always a Good Idea to take a belt-and-braces approach and pack paper maps and a compass and know how how to use them. GPSs -- like any gadget -- can fail, and it is surely nice at those times to still be able to navigate with some certainty. "Getting lost" means failing to know where you are in relation to your goal. Fix that, and you're set.

Best,

Dan. (...who doesn't leave much to chance when touring solo and unsupported in remote territory)

ianshearin

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 08:59:37 am »
At the minute Jags my everchanging plan is to cycle from Southport(UK) through France, Spain and then catch a ferry to Morroco and cycle to Rabat where I will fly back home.
Im allocating 3 Months for this. I am hoping to go late this Year but weather and finances will be my final judges. If finances work out this Year then that could change to UK to Capetown allocating a Year for the trip.

Dan

Getting lost" means failing to know where you are in relation to your goal. Fix that, and you're set.

Im sure Gandalf would have said 'A wizard is never lost, he merley arrives at the place he is' I cant get lost Dan, I dont know where Im going in the first place  ;D
'shing xiong'

jags

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 12:58:16 pm »
Thanks Ian sound fantastic best of luck with it.
i love that last line you never get lost as you dont know where you going i must remember that one. ;D ;D