Author Topic: an eventfull spin today .  (Read 9911 times)

sg37409

Re: an eventfull spin today .
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2012, 07:18:51 pm »
Is that the Campsies north of Glasgow Scotland? If so, that's my old stomping ground.

Yep, thats them alright. I live in Milton of campsie, so those are very much my stomping / grovelling ground. Where is your new stomping ground matt ?

jags

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2012, 08:15:16 pm »
my worst year ever on a bike.best forgotten me thinks. :'(

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2012, 10:05:33 pm »
hey jags - you got out - celebrate the little things, that's what I think. I never live up to my hopes or expectations. I like to aim high but try not to get discouraged by my shortfalls. Hey, not only do you get out, but you inspired me too!

Happy New Year!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2012, 10:31:48 pm »
Agreed, Jim! No bad days on a bike; if you get out at all, it's a victory!

Good on ya for giving it a go, jags; all the best your way!

Dan. (...who enjoys the Tour de Neighborhood as much as a long, long loaded expedition)

jags

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2012, 10:54:59 pm »
your right lads every day you get out of the bed is a good day,
yeah i've had my share of bad days but i suppose the good days make up for all that.
2013 is a new start maybe i'll  do more overnighters instead of dreaming about this  wonderful tour thats never going to happen  ::).

jim its hard to believe a guy like me could ever inspire a well read guy like you but if i gave you a laugh along the way then te jobs a good one.
happy new year lads i'm off to make meself a nice cup of coffee.
chees
jags.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 11:39:54 pm »
Overnighters are not overrated, jags!

If you put together a little SOL kit like mine, then you can do "casual overnighters" or Sub240s (Sub-24hour Overnighters) without much planning. Just keep several meals' worth of food and some stove fuel in your stores, and if you get "out there" too far from home to manage a return or just want to explore, simply set up camp and pretend a tour broke out.  :D

I plan to start doing more of that this Spring. Instead of a 400K that is out-and-back, I will now have the option of 200-300K out and then explore a bit or take my time coming back the next morning instead of riding on through the night. So often I've gotten a good 200km or so from home and wished I could explore that area a bit more. Now...I can!

At 6-8lbs/2.7-3.6kg all-up for bivy-tent, pad, down bag good to freezing, my little pocket kitchen with .75oz/21g meths stove, some dried soups and energy bars and my sack of rain gear, I'm all set for a fine overnighter where I'll go to bed and depart warm, dry, and well-fed on hot food. If I leave the bulk of the gear packed in my rack pack, then all I have to do is velcro it on, toss a wind jacket and longsleeve jersey and tights in the HB bag, and I'm off for three seasons of the year here in the Valley and lower mountain elevations.

Even going out of an afternoon and enjoying Camp Life in the evening, listening to the mosquito hawks and night sounds before retiring to the little tent is a treat, then up early and back by 9AM is awfully hard to beat. "Best show (not on) television" is my motto.

All the best,

Dan. (...who encourages others to grab Life as they can; it goes past too quickly as it is!)

peter jenkins

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2013, 08:02:53 am »
Hi Jags,

I've picked up this thread a little late, and have just seen your comment re the Camino.

I'm impressed! (I bet we ALL are)

Did you walk or cycle?

Please feel free to share some of the detail with us.

All the best for 2013

pj

jags

« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2013, 02:15:00 pm »
hi peter yeah the camino was my first time out of ireland hey let me out every now and again. ;D
the lads i used to cycle with invited me they do these kinda trips every year there blog eh i'll post it shortly.
well peter i was like a child in a sweet shop we started in a wee town not far from bilbao lovely spot to be honest the first thing that struck me was how smooth the roads were and the weather man oh man what fantastic weather,and to cap it all i was flying that year loads of miles in me little legs and 2 stone 12.7kl lighter .
we did that trip on road bikes i was on my now sold look kx light flying machine i hit over 60mph on one of the big mountain passes down the other side obviously  ;D ;D
the lad that was doing the route had done the same trip with his son the year before so he knew exactly where we were going ,best cycling ever in my life enjoyed every pedal stroke .
if you have never been to spain (i'm sure you have) it's a beautiful country lovely people especally in the sticks  ;D we stayed in 3 and 4 star hotels along the way done 100 miles every day  i got the bonk on the last stage but still finished a full hour ahead of the lads ah it was super love to do it on the sherpa but it would be a tough gig thats for sure.
i'll try and find the blog and post it up yours truly is standing beside st james on top of one of the tough climbs. ;)
http://travellingwheelburys.blogspot.ie/search?updated-min=2007-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&updated-max=2008-01-01T00:00:00-08:00&max-results=2
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 02:16:34 pm by jags »

jags

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2013, 02:18:39 pm »
camino is 2006 appian way italy i was on that tour as well disaster to many wrong turns which meant a awful lot of cycling on motorways how we didn't end up in jail i dont know  ::)

thats me in blue top.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 02:30:11 pm by jags »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2013, 03:19:53 pm »
i was flying

Yeah, that's it, inspiring, absolutely!

Andre Jute

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 12:42:18 am »
Not inviting you to West Cork, Anto. 640km is what I do in 6 months, not days.

Andre Jute

jags

« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 11:13:42 am »
Ah i was in great shape then Andre guess i was all excited at riding my bike in sunshine  ;D
living in west cork theres no need to travel anywhere stunning part of the country. ;)

peter jenkins

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 11:46:13 am »

Wow!! and thanks so much Anto.

I would absolutely love to do the Camino. I hadn't really known much about until Anne and I walked the Coast to Coast route in 2009. (St. Bees Head to Robin Hood Bay) We met a couple of people at different stages who had walked the Camino and it's been at the back of my mind ever since.

I only recently found out that it's suitable for cycling... Australia is just too far from these great places!! I think that's why my daughter lives in the UK  ;)

All of you guys look fairly fit. I reckon you would have had a ball!

Cheers,

pj

jags

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2013, 12:37:24 pm »
peter it was a fantastic trip ,we met a few lads on fully loaded touring bikes actually got talking to one of them on a big climb i told him to put his panniers in our van and we will take them to the top of the climb  but he insisted it was he pennants  :o  we met the same guy in santiago he just rode into the square with a smile as big as a plate having finished his tour lovely guy.
we went in the off season so hotels were cheap 35 euro average a night shareing 4 star hotels  ;)
yeah a great trip hasn't been better as yet. but yeah it would cost you a small fortune to get to it i reckon maybe you should plan a tour taking in the tour de france and on to the camino could be done but a lot of climbing but what a tour fantastic, mind you july it would be hot. ;D
cheers
jags.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2013, 11:11:47 am »
Yep, thats them alright. I live in Milton of campsie, so those are very much my stomping / grovelling ground. Where is your new stomping ground matt ?

I lived in Bearsden 17 years ago. Now in Dumfries & Galloway. Nice area but no hills like the Campsies.
What do you ride? I have a Dawes Sardar at the moment but will sortly take delivery of a Raven.

matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink