Author Topic: an eventfull spin today .  (Read 9916 times)

jags

an eventfull spin today .
« on: December 30, 2012, 03:17:35 pm »
Not long back from a very wet miserable windy spin, one of those spins that you feel like picking up the bike and fireing it as far as you can over the nearest ditch >:(
the day started off well enough  windy but nothing i havent faced before,  ah i'll keep going i thinks to meself . 6 miles later things started to change suddenly the sky darkened the wind picked up to late i'm committed now must keep going  ;)
ok it's 2 mile later i'm freezing cold wet through yeah yeah i know i should wore my rain jacket, so i stopped under a tree to put the jacket when a guy i thought i knew flew by me heading in the same direction (HOME) by the time i got the jacket on he gained about a minute no problem i figured i'll catch him on the slippery decent , nope he was gone never to be seen again and by this time i'm not alone been wet miserable cold i'm also knackered why did i  go out today was i crazy ::) then i realized i was neary home and thought ,
hey that was a good auld spin i'm still here  and maybe tomorrow will be just as bad if not worse.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: an eventfull spin today .
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 03:24:24 pm »
Just what I needed, a little motivation to get out for a ride today! 24F out with a 10 mph wind, gusts to 35 mph forecasted, snow and ice on the roads... perfect!

bikepacker

• Bikepacker
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 03:44:05 pm »
We only had some heavy showers today a nice change from the lately persistant rain. Pauline and me did two shortish rides avoiding the Worcestershire floods, coming home in between to have some lunch. So only 42 miles done today.
If you want to be happy learn to be alone without being lonely.
If you want to enjoy the world see it from the saddle of a bike.
If you want to experience beauty camp alone in a spectacular place.
If you want release your anxieties cease excuses and take actions.

jags

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 04:17:10 pm »
Ah you just got to do it jim the trick is pick a route so as your never more than 10 miles from home i have loads of these routes still good cycling . ;)
bikepacker thats great miles this time of year but then again you have your brain fine tuned to get on the bike every day i on the other hand DON@T. ::)

you know i don't think i'll ever  make a cycle tourist i was thinking today while i was stiff with  the cold trying to don the rain jacket , imaging Anto if you have to ride another 20 miles to a campsite and sleep under canves in this cold miserable weather when i could be tucked up nicely at home watching tv :'(
sad i know but fact.
so when you hardened cycle tourist are planning your next tour do you allow for days like these.i know i certainly dont i dream of sun sun and more sun well why not it's a holiday after all .

bikepacker

• Bikepacker
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 04:39:07 pm »
You mean you wouldn't like to wake up to this view? 

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 05:04:45 pm »
I read this fun book recently, Younger Next Year - no great revelations really but a good kick in the pants. The number one message: exercise an hour a day, every day. The basic analogy is that during the last third of one's life there is a steady relentless tide dragging one down which is not really a catastrophe as long as one swims against it just as steadily and relentlessly.

My little ride today was just 10 miles but it was quite pleasant. Just 270 feet of climbing - enough to keep it interesting! My general average speed is just 10 mph. Maybe I should wear a heart monitor to make sure my ride is actual exercise but whenever I have done that I am always way above any sensible target zone. I got sweaty enough so I figure that works as an indicator.

I have all sorts of fantasy tours lined up = my latest dream is to ride down to New Orleans to visit my nephew. Got to check out his band:

http://babesuniverse.net/

1700 miles - maybe 35 days? Yeah, just go bowling or something when the weather gets ridiculous along the way!

jags

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 05:45:43 pm »
You mean you wouldn't like to wake up to this view? 

hah very good  ;D

jags

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 05:49:45 pm »
Maybe i'll try that in the new year Jim makes sense right enough.
tried to hear your sons music but it says the brouser i have wont allow it ,what ever that means. ???

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 06:09:06 pm »
so when you hardened cycle tourist are planning your next tour do you allow for days like these.
Yep; part and parcel, jags. I know I'll be breaking through snow in the Cascades on my way to the desert, and I certainly will atop Steens Mountain -- assuming it is not too deep (as in meter-deep) to get up there. Same with Diamond Peak's Emigrant Pass. Laying out my gear, it seems ridiculous to pack my winter down bag for spring/early summer in the desert...until I remember I'll be spending time at altitude to get there, and can expect some snow and hailstorms while touring. Weather is variable!

For me, this is all part of the Adventure. I know I'll be encountering Weather, so I plan for that in what I take, and change gear accordingly while riding. I'm not a lay-around in the tent sort, so if it is a new day, I'm riding and use the tent just for sleeping (which is why my bivy-tent or 1-man tent seems roomy; I'm not in except to sleep). Cooking is outdoors, too; the rain fills the pots nicely and that is what rain gear is for. When I'm riding and it pounds down too hard to see, I get off the bike, squat down at the side of the road with head bent and arms around knees, and wait a bit for it to ease, then back on the bike I go.

One of my most precious memories is riding home from a tour through Oregon's Coast Range with Jack (Dad) in the midst of a heavy ice and snow storm. We awakened with the tents covered like Alan's photo, then found ourselves going through roadblocks where the rangers, state highway patrol and transport department had closed the roads ahead of us. Yes, it was cold and wet and a slog, but oh! the memories! The world was silent and white, and we saw deer and bunnies, and the evergreens shedding the packed-up snow from their branches with a "thump" when it hit the ground. If I close my eyes, I can almost smell the snow again -- that clean white smell as much taste as odor.

Nothing bad lasts forever, and one sees things during those times they'd never see otherwise. And, it's all in *how* you see it. When I was touring Europe, my tour partner became terribly discouraged and made grimly glum by the constant heavy rains we experienced. "I just want to go to a spa, soak in a hot tub, get a massage, and *be* after a full, hot meal". Me? "It's *Belgian* rain, and I'm lucky to be here to enjoy it. Nothing like Oregon rain!" I thought he'd swing for me.  :-\

The finest tool in my kit is a Good Attitude, looking for the best and considering it a privilege to be out in Whatever. When in the midst of such things, I have only to think of my peers and neighbors, huddled around the Tube and living life vicariously. Meanwhile, I'm out *in* it, living it firsthand. Same applies at home when riding or during my daily 5-mile walks, when rain doesn't stop me. I've not melted yet, and shoes and socks can be changed and jackets dried.

So, good on ya, jags! You and that other cyclist were out in the stuff and got to see and feel things your neighbors can't imagine. The hiss of the tires, the sting of the drops on your face, the mist and the clouds and the rest of it, with memories to keep and play back while sitting around the fire After.
hey that was a good auld spin i'm still here  and maybe tomorrow will be just as bad if not worse.
Exactly! Just the way to see it. I'd ride with you anytime!

All the best,

Dan. (...who thinks it is a beautiful day, whatever the weather)

jags

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 06:24:41 pm »
Really don't know how you do it Dan thats the truth.
i suppose over here your not far away from help or shelter unlike you guy's and the uk is very much like ireland terraine wise  ;)
i remember when i done the camino i could not get it into my little head how long the roads were as far as the eye could see and the same both side of the road NOTHING  ;D ;D you dont get that here.
ah i'm to old to change now i'm a fair weather cyclists thats for sure you wont catch anto hunking down by the side of the road waiting for the storm to pass not on your life. ::) ;)

sg37409

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 10:39:36 pm »
Nice thread. I posted this on a different forum earlier today.

Tough ride around the Campsies. Set off at 8AM in the dark and just plodded out into the headwind, although it was at least dry. On the return the rain started very heavily which turned to snow coming back over the Crow. Was totally soaked and the everything felt frozen and leaden. Settled into a slow grovel  up the the Crow and watched the snow build up on my gloves and handlebars. I  ride this road a lot, and usually think nothing of it, but today I felt like I'd achieved something coming over there.

jags

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 10:47:25 pm »
yeah who said cycling was easy. ;)

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2012, 10:00:31 am »
Nice thread. I posted this on a different forum earlier today.

Tough ride around the Campsies. Set off at 8AM in the dark and just plodded out into the headwind, although it was at least dry. On the return the rain started very heavily which turned to snow coming back over the Crow. Was totally soaked and the everything felt frozen and leaden. Settled into a slow grovel  up the the Crow and watched the snow build up on my gloves and handlebars. I  ride this road a lot, and usually think nothing of it, but today I felt like I'd achieved something coming over there.

Is that the Campsies north of Glasgow Scotland? If so, that's my old stomping ground.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

bikepacker

• Bikepacker
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2012, 03:16:48 pm »
With visiting commitments I only did 19 miles today but they were enjoyable even though a little damp before lunch. This has given me a total for the year of: 10,558 miles

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2012, 07:02:39 pm »
9 miles today, but 1120 feet of climbing, so that got my heart rate up!

3173 miles for the year.