Author Topic: £150 PA for a Nomad !  (Read 37994 times)

Brains

£150 PA for a Nomad !
« on: November 06, 2003, 05:38:05 am »
I pay £150 a year for my Nomad which is about 10% of the replacement value (I live in London), is this excessive ?

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
Re: £150 PA for a Nomad !
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 10:50:03 pm »
www.cycleguard.co.uk quotes about £130 for a £1200 bike, so probably about right, far cheaper to get it on your household insurance.

Brains

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2004, 03:28:06 pm »
The problem with house (or office) insurance is a max £500 payout on bikes. I found this out the hard way.

Pedaldog

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 08:43:07 pm »
Hey Brains,
I had Cycles to the value of £2,500-00 on the Norwich Union household stuff.
Only problem was that, after three bikes stolen in two and a half years, they refuse to insure me for bikes now!

Dave Whittle Thorn Workshop

• Thorn Cycles
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 01:57:52 pm »
Hi,

Read your policy, my house insurance insures up to £1000 out of home, I added my bikes as specified items for £35 extra a year.

squiggle

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2004, 04:55:18 pm »
Putting it all on your house insurance is great if you have a house. If you rent one room in a house this is not possible/practical as they want you to insure the entire contents of your house. The only other option is to insure seperately.

Natwest have a max of £400 to replace.
Endsleigh do a new for old but only if the bike is not more than 3 years old.
CTC do new for old for £88.00 (give or take a little)

A standard price seems to be 10% of the price of the cycle.

Polar Bear

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2004, 02:35:41 pm »
Hmmm.  The offerings for bicycle insurance are appaling in UK.   If you want to add a bicycle to your domestic contents policy it usually has an upper value limit.   If you try to buy separately they typically charge you 10% of replacement cost.   And not a slightest suggestion of a no claims discount!   It is about time insurers looked at cycle insurance with a fairer perspective.   Car drivers get a fantastic deal, so should the cyclist as a road user.   I am sure they could come up with a proper fully comp policy including third party liability as well as accidental damage and replacement for less than the current woeful offerings.   Add that to the fact that we do not legally need insurance and I think they could be on to a winner.  

Maybe the CTC and other cycling promtion organisations and groups  should get together and lobby for fairer and more practical insurance.   In fact, I'm going to write to the CTC and my MP and I urge all you cyclists out there to do exactly the same.

Polar Bear

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2004, 09:54:29 pm »
The best I've been able to achieve is to change my contents insurance to CIS.   They cover as unspecified all bikes value upto £1,000, and will go on specified bikes upto £1,500.   When you've been a customer for more than 2 years (luckily I have some life assurance on my ex wife!!) they raise the £1,500 limit.   Policy excess is £50 and premium per specified bike is hell of a lot cheaper than the so-called cycle-specific insurance policies.  

By the way, I do ot have any reason to promote CIS other than now of course that they seem to offer about the best deal I can find for us cyclists.

pwat

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 12:07:05 am »
My household contents inmsurance is about £55pa.  Includes bike whilst on the premises.
Adding cover for bikes off the premises is about £35pa for any number of the family's bikes, pretty much irrespective of how many or value.
Might depend on postcode.
Who with? - Egg.
Know any better?

cyclone

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 01:58:36 pm »
Hey people.

There is a 92 page Guide to Cycling with this Saturday's Guardian which covers topics like insurance as well as safety, fitness technique and equipment.

Definitely worth checking out.[:D]

Cheers.

Cyclone

cyclone

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2007, 02:00:54 pm »
Hey people.

There is a 92 page Guide to Cycling with this Saturday's Guardian which covers topics like insurance as well as safety, fitness technique and equipment.

Definitely worth checking out.[:D]

Cheers.

Cyclone

whodabear

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 09:44:00 am »
quote:
Originally posted by pwat

My household contents inmsurance is about £55pa.  Includes bike whilst on the premises.
Adding cover for bikes off the premises is about £35pa for any number of the family's bikes, pretty much irrespective of how many or value.
Might depend on postcode.
Who with? - Egg.
Know any better?

Hi folks.

Just tried Egg.  They say £1500 max per bike, and on multiple bikes, max is £5000.

Al Downie

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 05:02:15 pm »
When I was taking out my mortgage a couple of years ago (with Abbey), the lady asked me if I wanted buildings insurance. I'm pretty lazy by nature and couldn't be bothered shopping around, so I just said "Go on then". Then she asked if I wanted contents insurance too, and I said "Go on then". She asked if I had anything very valuable, and I scratched my head a bit and said "Well, an expensive watch I guess, and my bike cost me £1100 last year". Then I thought nothing more about it.

A few weeks ago, I was running late with a girlfriend and we didn't have time to park our bikes in the normal secure place, so we took them into town. We parked them in a busy street, on a proper bike-park-thing, with the 'good' bike (04 Stumpjumper) hidden behind my old duffer bike, but sure enough when we came out of the show the good bike and the lock were gone, but the old duffer (a 1988 Stumpjumper!) was still there. Arse! That's the first time in it's 3yr life that I'd ever taken it into town.

Anyway. I called the insurance company with no receipt, no proof of purchase, nothing except a sad story, and it took about 30seconds for the lady to say  "That's fine Mr Downie, we'll send a cheque for £1100 today". Blimey! I thought that was pretty amazing service.

jawj

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2007, 11:48:59 pm »
Blimey, lucky you Al!

Now go wash your mouth out with soap for calling a 1988 Stumpjumper an "old duffer"!

JWestland

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 09:36:14 am »
Nothing wrong with an old duffer...over in the Netherlands we say "You learn to ride on old bike"

Yes...we also mean that "the other way"  ;D

Is that your chainring jawj?
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)