Author Topic: is he here yet.  (Read 7409 times)

jags

is he here yet.
« on: December 25, 2012, 01:07:17 am »
just can't sleep cant wait until the morn  to see what i bought the wife  ::)
i sure hope thers something under the tree for me i cant take a sneaky look i would be shot if i was found out  ;D
god hope i didn't any socks or underware,e mm starting to get picky now but i'll smile no matter what i ain't no mug ...
so what are you lads hoping santa brings you .

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: is he here yet.
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2012, 01:25:24 am »
Ah, jags, go to sleep; it will make the night pass faster, and Santa will come that much sooner!  :D Be sure to leave out the glass of milk and a plate of cookies for the old fellow.  ;D Oh! And careful the fire's out and the damper is open so he can climb down the chimney!

I'm from a Christmas Eve family...mostly because we (the kids) and the parents (bigger kids) couldn't wait till Christmas Morn to open the pressies. So, it was always a big fire in the fireplace, then opening pressies around the tree...usually a big Douglas fir.

I just got in from running errands (remember, I'm 8 hours behind you, so it is just coming up dinnertime as I type this), and found Santa (in the form of the US Postal Service) delivered my Sury 38T stainless chainring, sourced from the elves in Santa's biggest workshop -- eBay. It looks the business, beautifully mirror-finished and nicely etched with the BCD, tooth count, and a subtle Surly logo. If Santa heard me, an appropriately-sized Thorn bash guard is winging its way here to the upper-left corner of the States as well. Very much looking forward to climbing walls with the new combo when all the pieces have arrived and I've got it installed. This will give me a lovely low in the mid-15 gear-inches, and that will be a blessing when winching 140-odd kg to the top of 24% grades. In dirt. With rocks. On pronghorn antelope and mountain goat trails. Yeah!

Merry Christmas; may all your dreams and wishes come true!   ;D

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2012, 01:51:33 am »
still up dan and wide awake i had to take a headache pill earlier on tonight and this is side affect body knackered but head ready for ten rounds with mike tyson. ::)

is that camera of yours not working these days i'm gettin withdrawal symptoms over here.
Dan have you a big tour planed for next year or is it 2014 just curious. my god its 2am and i'm listening to barry manalow on the tv yes i'm crackin up thats for sure. ::)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2012, 02:00:29 am »
A couple years ago I sold my entire LP collection, maybe 1500 vinyl disks. About half went at a yard sale - I think I charged $2 per disk maybe. Oh and I had quite a collection if I don't say so myself! The last 500 or so I traded for 5 CDs. That included my entire classical collection. Whew!

Bit by bit I am filling in some of the void that left. There was a splendid boxed set of the Atlantic recording of Ornette Coleman, under the title Beauty is a Rare Thing. Not so inexpensive either! Finally in late November I saw a used copy on Amazon for about $40 and I took the plunge. They sent me a tracking number which was a big help. The silly thing left Honolulu on Nov 28. Uh-oh! I think it was last Thursday when finally there was an update & it made it to Jersey City. It got here on Saturday. Ah!

On the one hand, my sweetheart absolutely detests jazz. On the other hand, I have been banished to the basement. I feel like Brer Rabbit - born and bred in the ... basement! Because down here: 1) I can listen to jazz without hearing complaints, and 2) my bike is down here too so I can fuss with it at will.

So for me Saturday was nice!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2012, 03:21:58 am »
Sounds a very nice Saturday indeed, Jim, but oh! What a long, long wait for that disc to arrive from Hawaii! It must've swum the Pacific then set out on foot when it made landfall! Glad it has arrived at last, probably that much sweeter listening for the delay.

Sounds like you've got a nice retreat in the basement...music, Nomad...books...not bad! Sorry the taste in jazz isn't a Universal in your household, but still a pretty nice way to enjoy it. Do closed headphones work while listening, say, in company with others? add a bright fire in the fireplace and your favorite hot beverage, and it might work for all.

Sure sorry about the headache, jags; didn't need that for Christmas! And...Barry Manilow on the TV?!? It could be a long night (though I'll admit having watched what is probably the same TV holiday special myself!). Hope you can get off to sleep soon.

Yep, the Big Tour is planned for Spring 2013 if all goes well. Date of departure will depend on the weather...and how much snow we get on the mountain passes this winter. Hoping for a departure on 15 June or so, but can easily push that on to the first week of July if necessary. I want to fully sort my new equipment between now and then so there won't be any surprises. Lots of new stuff to take and try since the last big loaded tour -- bike, trailer, tent, sleeping bag, pad, chair -- so I'm kind of excited about that as well. Trip distance should be in the neighborhood of 1800mi/2900km, much of it in unpopulated areas including a full desert transit and some serious climbing on the bike at altitude (again, snow permitting; if the snow gates are closed, it will also mean the snow is too deep for me to traverse).

All the best,

Dan. (Sleep! Santa's watching and won't come till you're "out"!  ;))

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 06:37:01 am »
We just give envelopes with money because it is too tiresome to have to think up something you want that someone else can shop for. I'm far too finicky to have anyone else shop for me.

Like Jim I'm keen on music, but it's years since I've actually played any vinyl; I use CDs instead, of which I reduced my collection to about 6000 discs or sets when I stopped reviewing music. This year I ordered a complete set of the Bach Cantata by Ton Koopman.

I thought it might be a good idea to make bicycle outings to the many beauty spots around here to make a quick pen and wash sketch. So I ordered a Winsor & Newton Field Box (a pocket size watercolour kit), some small books of watercolour paper (90x140mm, A6 and A5, various pocket sizes in portrait and landscape), and a Chinese calligraphy fountain pen (it mimics a brush for writing Mandarin ideographs) because I don't have the patience for dip pens, several types of Japanese fude fountain pen brushes (normally used for writing Kanji) because they have a very expressive line, also a Koh-i-noor 5.6mm clutch pencil and a variety of Cretacolor leads (sanguine chalks, charcoal, black pastel, nero oil, white chalk, graphite range, etc) for it for more traditional drawing, and the necessary tools including a set of water brushes. In the long ago and far away I was briefly a painter, good enough to mount one-man sell-out exhibitions in London and New York.

The Winsor & Newton Field Box is the blue apparat with the white wings, which are mixing surfaces. The little blue bucket lying above it to the left of the pencil tin also attaches to the assembly to wash brushes, and the travelling brush is the chrome stick beside the water bottle. The whole thing is tiny, only a couple of inches long. In the pencil tin are some of the paints that came in the Field Box that I rejected; they belong to a so-called "split palette" which is a bodge on the back of another bodge believed by people who don't know anything about how colour is created or perceived, who cannot distinguish psychosomatics from physics, or either from wishful thinking. Instead I made up two palettes, a spring one and an autumn one, which are the two seasons here, between what came in the field box and what was in my late father-in-law's excellent cigar box kit for painting in places where the sun never set on the Raj, which unfortunately appeared from my wife's trunks only after I already ordered the W&N Field Box; her father, a thoughtful, thorough man, had an excellent eye and taste, so I just updated his choices with more modern, lightfast pigments where available; in all I had to buy only three extra tubes of paint (not seen; they're in the small blue W&N box in the pencil tin), which I used to fill the half pans. The second palette is in the Altoids tin, and the remnants (poisonous and fugitive Chrome Yellow, a Winsor & Newton Purple Lake I can't find any record of anywhere and therefore must assume is fugitive) of my father-in-law's cigar box field kit is also in the photo. The basic palette in both cases is Cyan, Magenta, Yellow as the primaries, which can already mix a very wide gamut, plus all the secondaries, plus from the tertiaries violet (without which there is a dent in the gamut you can mix with my CMY model), plus a tertiary convenience green to save time (Hooker's Deep) plus in each case a tertiary pyrolle red (Winsor Red) because I like the way it blazes. Note that both palettes have a good strong red-orange. The rest of the halfpans are earth colours and a convenience neutral, in one case Payne's Grey, in the other Ivory Black. One palette is transparent and luminous, one opaque and granulating with the possibility of being slightly dulled if required, or glowing warmly where that is wanted, to suit the seasons here.

Those of you with reprographics experience will grasp immediately what I'm doing here.

Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 07:50:06 am »
Those of you with reprographics experience will grasp immediately what I'm doing here.
Mmm-hmm, Andre; lovely.

And...so are the containers! as much as I love tools, I also have a special place in my heart for thoughtfully designed containers, some of which exceed the artistic and design investment of what they hold. The seemingly lowly Altoids tin is itself Art in my book and useful for a vast array of applications (MintyBoost!...not bad for extending GPS life).

This...this is a privilege to see and hear about, Andre. Merry Christmas, indeed!
-  -  -  -  -
I have been playing with the Surly 'ring since I found it had been delivered while I was out running errands. It is a nicely finished, highly polished piece for the money, and tooth profile is generally good with some remaining milling marks on the tooth bevels. Not that it matters a whit for function (and I'll be painting mine anyway after etching it with phosphoric acid), but the laser engraving is very clean for such a small font size. You can clearly see the pulsing without overblasting in the following collage and photo. Terribly difficult to photograph decently at night, given the indoor lighting and highly reflective surface.
-  -  -  -  -
Thanks again, Andre, for sharing your new art sets. It's great to see you picking this up again, and Art will make a wonderful reason and motivator (as if you needed one!) for getting out on the bike, even or most especially in moody weather. I hope you will be sharing some of the results, either here or on your blog. Perhaps on your next book cover?

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 09:22:08 am »
Are you painting the whole chainring, Dan, or just the name?

People used to report on rec. bicycles.tech on their touring tool kits that fit in an Altoids tin; it was quite a competitive thing to fit in more. That's why my paintbox Altoids tin is so bashed — it once carried hefty metal bike tools over rough roads.

Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 09:38:19 am »
Are you painting the whole chainring, Dan, or just the name?
Probably the whole thing, Andre, (as Shimano do on their Deore middle and inner steel 'rings) or the whole thing except the teeth (as paint there will inevitably wear away).

I briefly considered one of the gun-blackening treatments for stainless steel, but that is excessive for the purpose (and expensive -- Caswell's 4oz gel kit is close to what the 'ring cost). If the surface is properly etched, it will take paint well (past experience); especially if the successive coats are thin and baked in-between resprays.

Powder-coating would be ideal, but the last quote I got for doing the 'ring is USD$70...with no masking of the teeth or chain lands (the coating would make these too thick for smooth running; Surly already indicate the 'ring is a bit wide for use with 9-sp chains. I'll use an 8-sp, but still...don't want to add unduly to width). Of course, much of the aesthetics would be moot if Hebie would just get up to speed and produce a 36x17 Chainglider. The 17 part is taken care of...now for the 36. Hopefully, soonish.

I'm waiting for the Thorn "up to 38T" bashguard to arrive to see how much of the 36T 'ring it covers. Then, I will see how much is exposed. I'd like to have the Surly 'ring resemble my current Thorn alu 40T, which is black-anno'd except for the teeth and a small border, which are left as-milled.

Best,

Dan. (...who admits to being appearance-conscious on some things and would like to stay monochromatically black in this case)

jags

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 07:08:52 pm »
Andre do you have any paintings you could show us (me) i love stuff like that i often watch my son noel drawing he makes look so simple  ::)
what a gift to have ,great way to spend a dull evening in your  lonely tent knocking out a few water colours.

btw i also have a great collection of  vinal but none of that lordy daw stuff  ;D ;D

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 07:17:46 pm »
What fun! My sweetheart got me a DVD for Christmas! It's a movie that Clint Eastwood directed in 1988, called "Bird" - about the jazz musician Charlie Parker! She said I should wait til she's not around before I watch it!

But I can sneak it on my computer down here in the basement!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 07:23:52 pm »
Now, that's wonderful, Jim! Y'know...that's true love, giving you something she doesn't like so much herself. You'll be in heaven, rather than the basement.  :D

Fantastic, Jim; sounds like a Merry Christmas, indeed!

All the best,

Dan.

energyman

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 07:59:05 pm »
I got a Click-Stand.
What more can a person want ?
Happy Christmas to all.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 08:20:51 pm »
I got a Click-Stand.
What more can a person want ?
YewgottaClick-Stand?!?  :o

Wowzers!  ;D ;D ;D

You're set, Chris! :D

I can almost promise you, your cycling life will never be the same (in a positive way). Annnnd, if you tour with it, one-person bike loading in treeless areas is so much easier, faster, and more convenient, you'll be on the road 20-30 minutes earlier in the morning (more sleep!), and without the usual frustration and need for three (more) hands.

Best,

Dan. (...these stands really "click" with me!)

Andre Jute

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 09:38:49 pm »
Andre do you have any paintings you could show us (me) i love stuff like that i often watch my son noel drawing he makes look so simple  ::)
what a gift to have ,great way to spend a dull evening in your  lonely tent knocking out a few water colours.

btw i also have a great collection of  vinal but none of that lordy daw stuff  ;D ;D

I haven't painted much yet, Anto. I'll post something when I've practised a bit and gotten back into the swing of it. For the moment I'm just renewing my fascination with light. I'll post something in a few months.

Andre Jute