Author Topic: Dun Rnunners  (Read 15373 times)

TimCPike

Dun Rnunners
« on: July 26, 2005, 01:46:29 pm »
Well I saw a few Thorns out there, including some Rohloff hubs.

For reference - we were the Vitesse bedecked with fairy lights.

rogerzilla

Re: Dun Rnunners
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 01:48:21 pm »
Mine was the black Nomad with a SON front hub/E6 lamp (bracket later bent by the psycho Irish removers) and far too much stuff on the back.  I arrived on the train with GruB but lost him and Naggers just before London Fields when a bus got in the way!

graham

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 08:28:32 pm »
quote:
Well I saw a few Thorns out there, including some Rohloff hubs.

For reference - we were the Vitesse bedecked with fairy lights.

We were the Vitesse in standard colour scheme with black Rohloff hub and matching black Schmidt dynamo hub, carbon fork. Two panniers and bar bag.

Saw a Vitesse with 700c wheels being wrapped for the white van. Two-tone Silver and Red, I think but I was a bit tired and might have remembered that bit wrong. Very nice looking anyway. The trouble I had when ordering ours was that I had too much choice of colour scheme (i.e anything I could dream up), so gave up thinking about it in the end and went for the standard metallic rainbow.

Was that an enduro in yellow with celtic bands and carbon fork parked for a long while by the queue for the cafe?

TimCPike

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 12:22:33 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by graham

We were the Vitesse in standard colour scheme with black Rohloff hub and matching black Schmidt dynamo hub, carbon fork. Two panniers and bar bag.

Saw a Vitesse with 700c wheels being wrapped for the white van. Two-tone Silver and Red, I think but I was a bit tired and might have remembered that bit wrong. Very nice looking anyway. The trouble I had when ordering ours was that I had too much choice of colour scheme (i.e anything I could dream up), so gave up thinking about it in the end and went for the standard metallic rainbow.

Was that an enduro in yellow with celtic bands and carbon fork parked for a long while by the queue for the cafe?

That 700c wheeled Vitesse was us. I doubt there are many others around like that (with the larger wheels). Our colour scheme choice was to go back to the colour scheme of our first tandem, it's in college colours (bonus points available for anyone able to identify the college).

I did like the look of your front fork - carbon with points for mudguards et cetera. Or at least I think it was yours. Again the tired E-number addled brain is a little uncertain.

graham

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 10:20:25 am »
I must admit the carbon fork wasn't our idea. Robin told us the fork was in the final stages of testing when we placed our order and talked me into having it. A decision I have not regretted.
As you know, the Vitesse is not particulary advertised and each one is a special order and equipped with high grade componentry, so the Rohloff hub cost us only a little extra. The carbon mudguards were a bit of an extravagance, but I had already exceeded original budget by 100%, so I thought in comparison to what I'd already spent it was only a small bit extra. And they do look lovely, and are super rigid. Even though the winter tyres run quite close to them, they never move and start rubbing. In other words, they work beautifully.

The continuing pleasure of using something really nice stays with you long after the pain of parting with the money is forgotten. When we are spending effectively a day a week using our Vitesse it wants to be good. As it is.

Shame we didn't see you on the road. I would have enjoyed seeing the fairy lights.

rogerzilla

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 10:31:44 pm »
Resurrecting an old thread, but this year my Nomad will be Burnt Copper metallic instead of black.  Bob Jackson are also converting the fork to A-head and adding a front mech bracket because the clamp-on one really made a mess of the seat tube.  I'm thinking of bolting the E6 directly onto a low-rider boss (with a suitable spacer) because the fork crown brackets seem to fatigue and droop after only a few hundred miles, and the Thorn alloy bracket won't clear my Oryx brakes.