Author Topic: calling Dan And Andre.  (Read 2052 times)

jags

calling Dan And Andre.
« on: January 07, 2013, 12:56:54 am »
Say Dan AND Andre what do you guys think of this wheel is it as good as the other one i'm after this past too months. ::)
cheers lads.
jags
http://www.dutchbikebits.com/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=front dynamo wheel &category_id=78&product_id=246

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: calling Dan And Andre.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 01:26:48 am »
Jags!

I remember we looked at this one before, and you had concerns about the price or quality. The base price is €55.91, then you add €19.24 for the q/r hub version and Rigida Zac2000 rim, totaling €75.15. As I recall, you figured for that money, you'd go with a higher-range or handbuilt version elsewhere.

Seems to me you wanted the Ultegra-quality Shimano DH-3N72 (32- or 36-hole) or DH-3N80 (32-hole only) dynohub, and this one is a Shimano DH-3N70. According to Peter White...
...the 3N70 is the same as the 3N71 which is the same as the 72

I'll look back through my notes, but I do remember we looked at this one before...yep; sure did:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=5041.0
Found your email on it, too:
emm  reading through that i think i'll wait until i can afford the real mc coy.
its not that i'm trying to get into dynamo wheels but if i were i think i will be going the hand built wheel

It looks to be a reasonable wheel for the money, but I can't imagine it being other than machine-built for the price, and will likely need tensioning and truing to a higher standard after delivery.

That said, I've sometimes found machine-built wheels are a great bargain compared to getting the parts separately and then lacing from scratch. I've gotten them for budget-minded friends and then -- provided they were laced properly to start with -- de-tensioned them, then retensioned, trued, and de-stressed and the result was a surprisingly good wheel judged by the amount of time it stayed true and how long the spokes lasted. Those left in their original state didn't do so well, going out of tension easily and early, eating spokes in the bargain.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 01:35:46 am by Danneaux »

jags

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 01:35:33 am »
Ah thanks dan sorry for putting you through the mill again, so i'm gonna wait for the other wheel it does look a much better wheel.
i'm away to me bed thanks again.

jags.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 01:36:40 am »
No worries, jags; I'm always up for a "wheely good" discussion!

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 09:14:01 am »
The hub's good, but it's intended for commuters; for a distance cyclist like you, there is a point to getting the better hub. Dan has already addressed the other issues. It is probably worth adding that machine-built wheels can be a lottery, depending on who built them, and for whom, and how the builders were supervised. Anecdote: You'd think Gazelle, "the Mercedes of bicycles" would be superior, including its wheels. Er... My Gazelle Toulouse, otherwise very well built, arrived with excellent hubs, choice Rigida rims, spokes and rim tape, but careless build quality in the wheels. Spokes in both wheels were loose enough to clatter after a few rides. This was my first good bike, and it gave me a sinking heart, as then I knew nothing about bikes except that I no longer wanted ill-fitting mountain bikes from the LBS wrecking my back. I haunted the net, made friends with Sheldon and Jobst, then detensioned the spokes, retensioned them, and STRESS RELIEVED the spokes hard with a tyre iron, and then over a period of weeks with an eighth of a turn here and there at roadside stops perfected those wheels. A decade later those rebuilt wheels are still rock solid, so they could have built them right in the beginning, and didn't.

By contrast, I have some Trek wheels on my Cyber Nexus that arrived rock solid, and are still, despite some hard advertures, rock solid. But the Cyber Nexus was a top of the line prestige bike for a market Trek was trying to sneak into, they built a 100 and presumably had one guy supervise every detail; Mr Bontrager himself designed, specified and tested these new wheels, which later went on sale as their priciest option-wheel. The wheels on my Kranich too were built like prototypes for a gorgon of a supervisor, delivered with a spoke tension sheet, solid, a work of art in itself. Surprisingly, the Kranich wheels are computer-built, but then carefully hand-inspected, and presumably selected.

I were you, I'd wait for the better wheel. You can't ride anyway until the weather improves, and now it is raining heavily outside my window, and presumably not too nice further upcountry.

You haven't forgotten that you must check that the Shimano hub dynamo connector is included in the wheel order, have you? The connector come with the dynamo because it is supposed to go on your lamp wiring. (Duh.) Looks like this, the grey part being attached to the lamp wiring, then  fitting inside the black wire-lock, the assembly on the wire then plugging onto the mating part on the hub:

Gee, I can remember when this little plastic part cost a quid...

Andre Jute