Author Topic: bar end on accessory bar  (Read 2662 times)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
bar end on accessory bar
« on: December 13, 2012, 03:26:19 am »
Somebody must have tried this already... would it work, to mount bar ends on the ends of an accessory bar, with the bar ends directed back towards the seat? They'd be like really narrow drops. I'm thinking of bar ends something like:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-carbon-anatomic-bar-ends-the-original-classic-design-black-prod9535/

I imagine the accessory bar must be strong enough for the job. I may just have to try this! But maybe there is a stupid flaw and somebody can help prevent me from wasting my time and money?!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: bar end on accessory bar
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 05:08:06 am »
Hi Jim!

Brilliant idea! However, I believe it has been done already, which makes it no less brilliant.

Before leaving on his tour, PhilB posted this idea also, here:
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4230.0

Unfortunately, I think he removed the photos that showed it in his album. I'll take a look and post a link if I find it.

I agree with JulianK's thoughts in the thread linked above; if one were to try this, perhaps it would be best to do so with a stem and stub handlebar, rather than a Thorn Accessory T-bar. Though the T-bar is welded and very sturdy, I fear the weight and torque of a supported rider could exceed its rating. I still think it is an idea worth trying ("For science!" as the rallying cry) to see how it works in practice. However, I fear putting the handholds so far inboard will limit leverage and make for a scary ride...like really narrow drops.

Hmm.

I think one might have better results fitting fold-up elbow cups and a standard tri-bar. When tired and in need of another position or wanting to really make time on my rando bike, I have sometimes held my own hands (intertwining my fingers) and wedged my elbows into the brake lever hood "pockets" and go for a largely fatigue-free flat-back aero position on the bike. It is amazingly secure, but leaves me without ready access to brakes, so I only do so on long, straight stretches of smooth road and upbraid myself for my foolishness the entire time (a sacrifice made "For Science!", I'll remind myself, when I stop to collect my knocked-out teeth) .

All the best,

Dan. (...who always likes to see unusual, innovative thinking put forth for trial, and admires those who do so)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 07:31:47 am by Danneaux »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 05:25:51 am »
Jim...

In a similar-vein-but-not, my friend from uni days and fellow Forum member Miguel used a standard 1-1/8" stem and a short stub of road bike handlebar to mount bar-end *shifters* to the gooseneck stem of his Bike Friday folder. The same could be done on any standard 1-1/8 steerer. I think it was a brilliant example of out-of-box thinking and give him full marks for innovation.

If the stem faces forward, it works much like the old 1970s-style stem-mounted shifters without the hazard to one's crotch in a sudden-stop dismount. Though seldom seen these days, this setup meets the needs of a few. The bar-cons can be oriented so they levers operate vertically or horizontally, as need and preference dictate.

I simply love T-bars or the equivalent stems with stub handlebars for the many ways they can be used to solve problems. One of the more clever applications I've seen was to mount a HB bag low on a low quill stem. The threadless stem clamped to the extension of the quill stem, then angled down to a section of PVC pipe on which the bag was mounted. Presto, low bag for low center of gravity on a bike where it would have been impossible otherwise. Ah! Here we go...Image URL here: http://janheine.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/markbag1.jpg Source page here: http://janheine.wordpress.com/2011/01/24/a-journey-of-discovery-part-2-handlebar-bags-and-aluminum-fenders/

Inspired! but much safer if a stub section of alu handlebar had been used instead.

Best,

Dan. (...whose needs are suited to a "T" by T-bars!)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 05:30:42 am by Danneaux »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 01:36:41 pm »
Ah, thanks. I can see how a grip so close to the steering axis will be quite unstable.

Mostly my wrists do OK but every once in a while I get some shooting pain stuff and I just don't want that to get any more frequent or worse. The local roads are generally plenty quiet so often enough I can sit up and stretch my arms this way and that. Or at least one arm at a time. At some point I might spring for conventional bar ends. Or maybe a bit of weight lifting at home will fix things?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 05:28:36 pm »
Jim,

I'm a bit concerned about the shooting arm pains you're experiencing. By any chance, have you ever been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome? Sometimes, things doe off the bike can aggravate it and the pain shows up when riding.

I'm not sure I see it as something to be specifically helped by weight-lifting, though that is a terrific exercise for keeping toned and developing strength. I would defer to Jawine here, 'cos she has far more experience with doing it properly and has achieved terrific results.

In any case, friends with similar pains have found help by rotating the handlebars so the angle of approach is more direct. Sometimes, just a few degrees up or down has made the difference, and might for you as well, if you wish to give it a try.

I'm a big believer in changing hand positions on the bike periodically as I ride. it really makes a difference to overall fatigue, and even helps prevent neck pain. Bar-ends provide some more positions and a different angling of the wrists, so might well be worth a try.

Best,

Dan.