Author Topic: Ortelieb  (Read 27862 times)

Procyon

• an old artist man and his bicycle
    • my bio and artist resume and gallery
Re: Ortelieb
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2005, 11:42:20 pm »
 Q-2 or Q-1, OLDER HEAVIER MATERIAL OR NEWER LIGHTER MATERIAL ?

Hi all!  I've read through the above chain of messages, alot of which centers around Ortlieb vs. Carradice.  I've been wanting to make a decision for myself, when I can, in the future, afford some good panniers.

I like the look and feel of the Carradice, but definitely seem to perceive a consensus that those people which have used both for a long period of time, on the whole prefer the Ortlieb, yes?  (anyone that has given their Carradice panniers years of heavy use, please speak up?)

So, despite my enjoying the "organic" quality of the Carradice, I am heavily leaning toward the Ortlieb.  

NOW I'M CONFUSED ON A NEW POINT :  there are a number of comments in the above thread about people not being happy with the new Q-2 fittings.

The Classic Ortlieb's with the Q-1 fittings are cheaper (which is nice) but I was coming to the opinion that the Q-2 fittings were supposed to be better and easier to use, and the new material significantly (yes?) lighter and even stronger.

I would really be thankful for some more clarification on these points, or additional comments from people experienced with the different fabrics and Q-1/Q-2 fittings and even anyone that has given serious long use to Carradice and somehow still disagrees with the above (seeming) consensus toward Ortlieb simply working better and lasting longer...

thank you so much
your friendly neophyte Thorn-ite
procyon

ahconway

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2006, 08:44:27 pm »
I thought I'd blow some of the dust off this old thread...

I just ordered a Carradice saddle bag, which is a sort of pack NO ONE ELSE really does much of! I've just ordered a Barley Saddlebag in green with honey straps - I expect it to be much better than my rack-top bag for brevets & day rides (I still can't get that rack bag to sit firmly on my Tubus rack....)

I've seen some people stuff a remarkable amout of stuff into a Longflap bag! No one else can compete in this area.

ahconway

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2006, 09:28:56 pm »
My bag arrived this week, and I gave it a good workout today. Fantastic! A really well-designed, sturdy piece of kit. A longer discussion and photos are on my blog at http://andrewbikes.blogspot.com/2006/04/carradice-barley-saddlebag.html .
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 01:22:16 am by ahconway »

PH

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2006, 02:33:51 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by ahconway

Fantastic! A really well-designed, sturdy piece of kit.

SNAP[:)]

I went for the slightly larger Nelson and I didn't like the rubbing on the back of the legs so added a Bagman support.
With full touring kit I've got a 50/50, front/back, Ortlieb/Carradice split.  Ortlieb bar bag and front rollers, Carradice front super C's and saddlebag. 60Ltrs capacity in total, well distributed around the bike, the idea is that I shouldn't need to open the panniers on the road and they can be left at base camps for day rides.
That's the theory, hopefully the summer will provide the practice[:D]

vik

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2008, 05:32:16 am »
Just a couple notes:

- when you add the external pockets to the Ortlieb panniers it doesn't affect the waterproofness of the main bags at all.

- if your Ortlieb hooks are too large for your rack's tubing and you don't want to use those pesky adapters that always seem to get lost just wrap your rack with electrical tape where the bags sit until they fit your bags nicely. This will do away with the adapters and protect your racks from wear.

cheers,

Vik
Safe riding,

Vik
www.thelazyrando.com

cyclekarl

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2010, 10:24:16 pm »
I have used Ortlieb and carradice and find the Cotton Duck far superior,Ortliebs seam a good bet,but as they wear you soon find your stuff wet because you get little pin holes in the fabric that need sealing with patches,you have to do this a lot,also they don't breath leaving your things sweaty,but the Carradice cotton duck fabric closes around any small holes keeping your things dry,they also breath and last twice as long as Ortlieb panniers even though they are bigger and cheaper,so for me if you want them to last get Carradice,but if you want to pose and have all the modern looking kit,get Orlieb,the choice is yours.

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 11:48:32 pm »
cyclekarl,

You just voiced exactly my thoughts!

I have no doubt that  the first time out Ortliebs are more waterproof than Carradice but after 3 years of use I also have no doubt that the Carridice will be going strong while the Ortliebs will be in the bin.

PS welcome to the forum

Brains

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2010, 12:25:13 am »
cyclekarl,

You just voiced exactly my thoughts!

I have no doubt that  the first time out Ortliebs are more waterproof than Carradice but after 3 years of use I also have no doubt that the Carridice will be going strong while the Ortliebs will be in the bin.

PS welcome to the forum

Well, 8 years after posting the original message (the first post ever on the forum I believe) I have to say my Ortalieb roller classic rear panniers are still going strong and still don't leak despite being used for 17,000 miles of fully loaded tours and every day of the week for commuting

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2010, 05:03:34 pm »
I stand corrected! 

17,000miles is a very impressive lifespan

mateusz

• My cycling webpage
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2010, 08:29:13 am »
I've been using a Carradice saddlebag and Ortlieb panniers of various sorts for the last 13 years or so. I found Ortliebs' fittings to be more durable, the stiches on the Carradice come off from time to time (and sending them over to England for a free repair makes little sense for me). I never found the little abrasion holes (a crash in Jordan, roof rack in Ladakh, baggage handling in Rwanda and such) in the Ortliebs as problematic; if anything they increase breathing capability from zero to something more :D . Classic rollers are the way to go.
Happy owner of a Thorn Trident and a self-made kiddyback tandem

Bowland Rider

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 09:53:58 pm »
I come down in favour of Vaude over Ortlieb.  I've put my comments on the other thread.  I WOULD buy Carradice IF they made panniers out of fully waterproof material with a roll top closure!  I agree that they're not waterproof.  Waterproof cotton is ok for a shower but the water will seep through eventually.

Each to their own though.

Pavel

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2012, 02:57:39 am »
I have a full set of ortliebs as well as a set of Carradice paniers for my moulton. I just ordered a Thorn Nomad and for it I'm going with a second pair of ..... Carradice bags.  Simply put .... I find them better.  I like the cotton duck and the fact that it seems as if they can be mended on the road but mostly it is because my ortliebs don't seem to breath as well and my clothes get this "left in a ziplock back for a week in 98 degree heat" feel and smell to them in my ortliebs, while not so much in the carradice bags.  The ortliebs are great.  I have to say that.  However the carradice have won me over just a bit more.   

On another note ... Hello everyone!  I here sitting in a knot waiting for my Thorn Nomad to arrive and it has been very nice to read the posts on this forum.  :)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 04:00:23 am »
Hey there, Pavel!

Welcome!

Looking forward to hearing about and seeing photos of your new Nomad once it arrives. It'll be here before you know it, so hold on tight and time will pass. Any questions in the meantime, just ask; people here are friendly and helpful.

The Carradice bags will look wonderful on the new Nomad, I'm sure; great choice. Nothing says "expedition" quite like a Carradice, methinks.

All the best,

Dan.

il padrone

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2012, 12:44:38 pm »
Waterproof cotton is ok for a shower but the water will seep through eventually.

While I have used Ortlieb panniers for the past 6-7 years and love 'em, I have previoulsy used proofed cotton duck (Superdux) panniers for many years. I also have a Carradice SQR Tour seatbag made out of their Superdux. I can only emphatically assure you that proofed cotton duck is very waterproof - not just in showers but in all day rain and in torrential downpours. When they get a bit wet the cotton fibres swell and seal the fabric against water.

I also have a large car-camping tent made of the same sort of fabric and it keeps the water out very well.

NZPeterG

• It's Great to Be Alive! Again! Go Cycle. . . . . .
    • Kiwi Pete's Cycling Safari
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2012, 10:17:08 am »
I have a full set of ortliebs as well as a set of Carradice paniers for my moulton. I just ordered a Thorn Nomad and for it I'm going with a second pair of ..... Carradice bags.  Simply put .... I find them better.  I like the cotton duck and the fact that it seems as if they can be mended on the road but mostly it is because my ortliebs don't seem to breath as well and my clothes get this "left in a ziplock back for a week in 98 degree heat" feel and smell to them in my ortliebs, while not so much in the carradice bags.  The ortliebs are great.  I have to say that.  However the carradice have won me over just a bit more.   

On another note ... Hello everyone!  I here sitting in a knot waiting for my Thorn Nomad to arrive and it has been very nice to read the posts on this forum.  :)

Well I have just ordered a Nomad Too (last night) and have been trying to work out which bags to get too.
I thank that i'll go with Carradice.
I just do not like that Ortliebs and Carradice use Nylon and not aluminium like Arkel?
Peter G
 :)
The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common[

http://kiwipetesadventures.tumblr.com/

http://kiwipetescyclingsafari.blogspot.co.nz/

Looked after by Chris @ http://www.puresports.co.nz/
For all your Rohloff and Thorn Bicycle's in NZ