Author Topic: CyclingAbout.com - A new touring website is born!  (Read 2261 times)

LTR

CyclingAbout.com - A new touring website is born!
« on: February 23, 2012, 10:30:46 am »
Thorn riders - I invite you to read along!

Shameful plug here - keen to spread the word and gather feedback!

Let me introduce myself. I am Alex, from Melbourne in Australia. I have been working in the bike industry for many years selling bikes and gear associated with bike touring. I have spent a lot of my grown up years travelling with bikes too. I had always wanted to create a website to share the knowledge I have learnt over this time.

So I did it. I created www.cyclingabout.com

My aims are to share everything that I know about bikes, parts, gear, traveling and touring. Alongside this my partner and I are planning to ride our bikes around the World for a while, the perfect time to really get busy with blogs, videos, reviews, stories etc.

One of the sites key features are our gear lists. We used the interactive software, Bindle, to build them.
http://cyclingabout.com/index.php/category/gear-lists/

I am documenting all of the preparation we're going through to make this tour successful - I am hoping others will find this valuable information for when you plan your own trip!

Keep up to date with our articles on our Facebook page, Twitter or RSS!

If you have any particular articles you'd like to see written, get in contact with me!

Regards
Alex
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:40:50 am by LTR »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: CyclingAbout.com - A new touring website is born!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 05:51:43 pm »
Hi Alex!

All best wishes to you and your partner on your upcoming Adventure. I'll be following along as things progress.

Going with a belt-drive Rohloff, but neither one a Thorn, eh? It's a lovely bike, and the split seatstay for belt changes is nicely executed.

Best,

Dan.

LTR

Re: CyclingAbout.com - A new touring website is born!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 08:41:30 pm »
Thanks Dan!

One day I will ride a Thorn, I am sure! Our Surly's have been modified to our very desires over time... so should do a great job for the next few years.

The belt drive has been going really well for us! In my opinion, their perfect application is for bike touring as spares are light, cleaning is easy and durability is great. We're pretty keen to put tens of thousands of kilometres on them! We just picked up the newer Gates Centertrack kits - so I'm very excited about reviewing and comparing both systems soon. The centertrack is said to run at a lower tension and shed grit better as well... but I guess touring for an extended period will determine what works best!

Alex