Author Topic: Thorn Raven Nomad S&S  (Read 6359 times)

Andybg

Thorn Raven Nomad S&S
« on: December 03, 2012, 06:36:46 pm »

ianshearin

Re: Thorn Raven Nomad S&S
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 06:53:42 pm »
That is a serious bike, the right size, I love Yellow......
Its not the right time for me to buy my bike as I have nowhere to put it until I move to my bigger flat in the New Year, but I cant ignore what might be a very good deal.

I can feel my bank managers hands getting sweaty......
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

in4

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 07:27:09 pm »
Now that is a glorious bike, particularly with the S&S couplings too. Such a shame to read of the reason for sale but at least the owner can look forward to some lighter riding during 2013. Someone somewhere is going to be thanking Santa this year I expect :)

ianshearin

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 08:09:22 pm »
Well, ive done it..my bid is in......

Over 50, Overweight, and hopefully soon Overdrawn....
In the end, it's not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away.
'shing xiong'

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 08:57:33 pm »
Over 50, Overweight, and hopefully soon Overdrawn....

It's been a great motivator for me, to get out and ride, to prove that I didn't just throw all that money away!

Best of luck with the auction!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 09:17:05 pm »
Oh, the poor seller; I do feel for him and the reasons for selling. Well, Ian...fingers crossed for you to win; it'd be nice to have this one "in the family", so to speak. A lovely bike, and you've an Adventure just waiting for it....

Ian, if you find your initial bid is outmatched and you have a change of heart, you can always go back into the fight with a last-moment bid. I usually wait till the last second or so (truly!) before placing my first bid. Yes, I'm a "sniper" on eBay auctions.

All the best,

Dan. (...not much longer to wait now;less than 10 days)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 09:21:09 pm »

ianshearin

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 09:46:58 pm »
My spider senses tell me its probably not wise to discuss my bid here until its over, dont want to give any advantage away......
Cmon Father Christmas!
'shing xiong'

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 10:28:48 pm »
its probably not wise to discuss my bid here until its over
Yep; play it close to the vest, Ian. Just know we're all pulling for you to get it for the lowest possible price so it will soon have a home with you (or one of "us" if it doesn't work for you).

Jim, the only reason to place a bid where there is none is to prevent the seller from removing the item from auction (which they can do if no bids have been received). However, it is rare an item is removed with no bids before the end of auction and if they do, you can always contact them by email and inquire as to the item and their plans for it.  Bidding early is to *no* advantage, as it simply drives the price up and starts the auction frenzy, resulting in a higher closing bid than would otherwise occur -- a disadvantage to all but the seller. The advantages are as listed in the linked article you cited. I decide on what my price is before I bid, and that's *it* -- no chance to go up and up, so sniping saves me from Auction Fever as well. If I miss out, then C'est la vie -- it wasn't meant to be.

However, I do not use auto-snipers. Mine is all manual, using an Internet clock set to the same time as eBay's servers. Part of the fun is to see how close I can cut it, and sometimes I miss out to the robots. Again, C'est la vie, not meant to be.

Real bidding is a science as well as an art. I just miss the Dutch Auctions ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_auction ) on eBay (they ended May 2009), where one wanted to have the highest low bid or lowest high bid. You never see them anymore, but they made for some fantastic bargains -- probably 'cos nobody understood them! See: http://reviews.ebay.com/WIN-A-DUTCH-AUCTION-WITHOUT-PAYING-THROUGH-THE-NOSE?ugid=10000000001026659 Still it was the Dutch Auctions that got me into sniping. There is a certain delight that comes from snagging the winning bid with less than two seconds to go. Heartstopping!

Ah, me; let's keep fingers crossed for a happy outcome on this Nomad sale. Regardless of who wins, I'll be happy for them, as it is a lovely bike indeed.

All the best,

Dan.

Andybg

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 09:50:01 am »
Best of luck Ian

Hope the bidding goes your way

Andy

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 11:31:44 am »
Lovely looking bike
Just my size a colour / color.
 :) :)
Dilemma alert!!
 :-\
I wont be doing my big ride until end of 2013 or 2014.
Just my luck to make the purchase and then have a knee or hip go.
 :'(

So so tempting.....

Advice folks please.

Btw
whats a Thorn Forkst?

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 11:35:17 am by Matt2matt2002 »
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

ianshearin

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 11:35:15 am »
Same dilemma as me Matt, my ride is planned for next Year so anything could change.
I just had a hot flush and went for it, if you decide to bid then good luck at least we bring the bike home :p
'shing xiong'

in4

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 04:49:41 pm »
I'm not sure if this chap sold his Nomad but I think its the same size as the one being discussed. Although it did not have a S&S couplings I think it had a dynohub plus a few other bits thrown in. Take a look here: http://www.rideandglide.co.uk/thorn_nomad_mk2.htm

ianshearin

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 07:48:29 pm »
I have been outbid, I placed a bid of £1200 which I know is very cheap for a bike like that but at the end of the day unless I got a great bargain I didnt want to spend any more on a second hand bike and miss out on the excitement of having my own built specifically for me.

Good luck to the current bidders.

In4 I followed that link but other than a nice website detailing the owners escapades their is no mention of him wanting to sell that bike?
'shing xiong'

Andybg

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 07:51:43 pm »
It is the same Nomad that was advertised here back a bit.

Sorry you are out of the running Ian but I think you have made up your mind on a factory fresh bike to your own specification.

Cheers

Andy