Author Topic: Andybg Nomad Mk1  (Read 12347 times)

Andybg

Re: Andybg Nomad Mk1
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2012, 11:36:39 am »
I have had the bike out quite a bit over the last few days in a mixture of snow/slush ice and mud. The tyres have coped admirably and to my surprise the mudguards have caused no issues. The der drivetrain has run smoothly (with plenty of re-oiling) The only area that has been a little dissapointing has been wheel jam due to build up of crud around the brakes. It does make me think that maybe for winter riding discs are the way to go? Might try playing with the front fork of a disc trucker next year. Although discs are frowned upon for expedition touring for those of us who are never far from home it may be a compromise worth making.

It is a nice sunny day today so hope to get out later for a ride

Andy

JWestland

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2012, 05:21:34 pm »
Like your sofa  ;D

Looks ready for everything in this setup! Discs cause issues with shipping, but like you say it's for local use.
Can the forks etc. take disc brakes? I heard front forks need to be beefy enough, but I may be wrong.
Pedal to the metal! Wind, rain, hills, braking power permitting ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2012, 05:54:11 pm »
The only area that has been a little dissapointing has been wheel jam due to build up of crud around the brakes.
It happens with damp mud and dry-lake playa, too (see attached pic). I have often pondered what a change to discs would mean, and have concluded it is best for my needs to wipe/scrape the stuff off than to deal with (what for me in my use would be) the detriments of discs.

That said, I think disks are a wonderful solution to address rim-brake pack-ups, and that's why I specified a disc-compatible Rohloff on my Nomad Mk2. It not only future-proofs the bike, it gives another option for braking while keeping the same fork and rim brakes up front (which means I can also keep the same lowrider rack option as I have at present with a rigid, v-brake compatible fork).

Andy, I'd think a spare fork, properly designed and fitted for discs would be really appropriate for consistent wintry/snowy use. A person could make a semi-annual swap, along with the tires.

All the best,

Dan.

Andybg

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2012, 06:01:55 pm »
As per your photo I am not sure if the build up is due to the brakes or just the clearance at the forks. I think before going down the disc version i would try running the bike without the front brake to see whether this improved matters by a considerable amount as I am not totaly convinced it would.

No steep hills or busy roads will be used in this experiment I hasten to add

Andy

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2012, 06:21:19 pm »
...before going down the disc version i would try running the bike without the front brake to see whether this improved matters by a considerable amount...
I think that's a brilliant idea, Andy! Looking forward to any and all results from such an experiment!
No steep hills or busy roads will be used in this experiment
Whew! Good news there....

All the best,

Dan. (...who thinks peppermint is good, but 'xpeermint is even better...and the puns are getting worse)

Andybg

Cycling with the 3 Grandchildren
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2013, 07:57:27 am »
We had a very warm (for time of year) weekend so we decided to try out the three grandchildren on the bike and trailer. Sashi who is now nearly 2 is a professional back seat rider but it was the first outing for the twins Leigh (boy) and Marina (Girl) now 6 months old in the trailer.

A first run round the village to make sure they could support themselves ok in the seating and then took them all back home in the afternoon (about 10km to my son's village)

They were all fast asleep by the time we left the village so a success story all round. Atleast I can hang up the car keys for the weekly kiddy run

Andy

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2013, 08:04:59 am »
Wonderful photos, Andy, and so glad the outing was enjoyed by all! You've now got some good company at the ready for future rides (and training weight!).

Andy...what's the lettering on the front of your Surly Nice Rack (Front)? Almost looks like the script lettering from an Austin Marina. Could it be?

Lookin' sharp all 'round! Nice jacket, too.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 08:07:25 am by Danneaux »

Andybg

« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2013, 09:21:08 am »
Very sharp eyed Dan. It is the chrome name off of a Morris Marina (Possibly badged Austin in other sales territories than the UK). It is usefull having a supply of badges to match the wife's name. I dont think we will be so lucky to find an Austin Andy or even a Dodge Dan - lol

Andy

jags

« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2013, 09:34:44 am »
fantastic photos andy the kids look happy enough ,i have 3 grandkids and another 2 on the was so its a bus i need. ;D

Andybg

Re: Andybg Nomad Mk1 Part Repaint
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2013, 06:12:09 am »
As the weather has improved the bike has had to take a back seat to the flymo so thought it was a good oppertunity to finaly strip the down tube on the bike where the stickers have peeled, fill that small dent (happened when the frame was shipped by Thorn some 10 years ago) and spray it back up.

Well one out of three jobs done so far......

Will photo her again when the job is done.

Andy

Andybg

Re: Andybg Nomad Mk1 Wheel Reflectors
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2013, 06:14:03 am »
Finally recieved the spoke reflectors and got them fitted. They fit securely on my spokes so not sure if it is a new batch or if I have thicker than average spokes.

Andy

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2013, 05:46:33 pm »
Wonderful photos, Andy, and some real progress made. Planning to do the repaint yourself? If so, a wet-spray job and some rubbing compound should make it blend in invisibly.

Love those spoke reflectors; one of the best cycling accessory purchases I've made in recent years.

Your Nomad really looks the business; well done! Very much enjoy seeing all the little details like the bell on the T-bar stem and the Click-Stand holder on the seatpost. Such things really distinguish a bike positively and make it truly yours. The kind of thing I really enjoy seeing.

All the best,

Dan.

Andybg

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2013, 06:28:49 am »
Managed to get the downtube, filled, sanded, primed, painted and restickered over the weekend. Built her back up Sunday evening and ready to take her out for a nice evening run tonight.

Andy

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2013, 06:35:30 am »
My!

That looks terrific, Andy, and I love the downtube tribute as well -- looks "OEM quality"!

Very well done indeed!

All the best,

Dan.