Author Topic: Andybg Nomad Mk1  (Read 12338 times)

Andybg

Andybg Nomad Mk1
« on: December 02, 2012, 12:43:51 pm »
Took the old Nomad out today to run in the new Schwalbe Winter tyres at the reccomended 20psi to bed the studs in. Sounds like riding on egg shells and about 10% slower than normal but all studs present and correct on return. The only negative I would say is the level of vibration means I am going to have to go back and use threadlock on all the bolts I normaly dont bother with.

Compared to the comfort and quietness of the standard Marathons these will ve definetly an as required rather than a fit and forget tyre choice

Andy

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Andybg Nomad Mk1
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 03:46:32 pm »
Those are ferocious headlights! And then with the growling of the tires coming down the pavement... quite a scene!

But 20 psi... really? Those are the 47 mm wide? I can see 30 psi when you really need the traction. I would have thought 20 psi would be too low. I can see 20 psi on a 60 mm wide tire. Maybe I just need to get courageous and try it on my 47 mm tires... which should be going on this next week. We have a few warmer days in the forecast so I will enjoy riding studless for a little longer!

Andybg

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 04:08:15 pm »
Yeah Jim 20psi is low but it is what Sxhwalbe reccomend to run the tyres at to bed in the spikes. I think about 30 is as low as you would need to go to get the full benefit from the spikes in icy conditions.

Andy

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 05:21:53 pm »
Andy!

Those are some wonderful photos of your Nomad Mk1, outside with the woods as a backdrop. It looks ready for anything!

The Surly Nice Racks look especially...nice...and really complete the go-anywhere look. It's a beauty!

All the best,

Dan. (...who loves derailleur *and* Rohloff bikes)

jags

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 06:19:18 pm »
Andy great photos bike looks class.
but hey are you certain anout that tire pressure i would imagine you would have plenty of pinch flat's. :(

Andybg

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 06:35:12 pm »
30psi should be fine to avoid pinch flats but the 20 psi running in certainly required a bit of avoiding the potholes. I took the bike back out for a run at 50psi which is the pressure I would run the tyres at when low risk of ice with dropping to 30 if the roads got very icy. To be honest even at 50psi it was still running on the studs and I would be very surprised if it requires to be dropped by much below 40 to have good control in icy conditions.

By the end of the winter here I hope to have a good feel for their performance and the best running pressures.

Running in the Ice Spiker Pros tommorrow just in time for the forecast snow on Wednesday

Andy

jags

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 06:39:42 pm »
photos please andy always good  to see Thorn  bikes in the snow.
be carefull out there buddy  8)

Andybg

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 06:53:52 pm »
Have spent a couple of hours this evening swapping out the Winter tyres and fitting the Ice Spiker tyres. In conjunction with this have romoved the narrow(er) mudguards and fitted some sks P65 mudguards and also removed the spacers to maximise clearance. Need a bit more playing to get perfect (need to shamfer the end of the mudguard as it does not fit perfectly into the space behind the bottom bracket without spacers) but a quite happy with the results. Have nearly 2cm of clearance even with the big 2.1 ice spiker tyres. Am planning on running these mudguards with the winter tyres but am of the opinion even with 2cm clearance that they will jam up pretty quick with snow with the ices spikers on. I am planning on a different solution (if require) utilising the racks and bike frame to support snow deflectors rather than the guards) Time will tell.

Andy

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 10:21:01 pm »
Andy,

My goodness, Man!  :o ;D :D

You've just upped the Wicked Quotient of the Nomad by a factor of 10. The thing scares me to look at it in the best of ways...like something from Mad Max: The Road Warrior).

Can't wait to see/read Action Riding Reports after the snow hits.  Very wise to go for max clearance on the mudguards...Hmm. Perhaps a CrudCatcher approach might work up front, and a rack-shelf behind?  No...how 'bout the mudguards like NZPeterG uses on his sus fork and at the rear? I think the rear 'guard might work, but have my doubts about the front due to the different diameter/shape of the fork blades. See: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=4418.0;attach=1727

Anyway, a wonderful job, Andy, and it looks positively unstoppable! Just be careful of "you", as I have a feeling those studs might not offer the best traction on the occasional dry patch, and the lean angles must be pretty shallow. For snow and ice, though...well, they should work a treat.

All the best,

Dan. (...who says, "Oooh; I like!")

Andybg

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 02:35:18 pm »
Just back in from running in the Ice Spiker Tyres. Although hard work at low psi (about 20% slower than normal and noisy) they were surprisingly ok to ride at 50psi.

Cheers

Andy

Andybg

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 08:33:42 pm »
Following today's run in of the tyres it has decided that now is the perfect time for a snow storm so might get the chance to take them out for a test tomorrow.......

Andy

Andybg

Snow Snow Snow
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 08:48:04 am »
The snow kept falling and 6" of unadultarated snow on the roads this morning. Got out for an hours play with plans of heading out later on once my chores are sorted for the day.

Damn its cold

jags

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 11:04:47 am »
Oh Wow you werent joking look's  8)
look forward to a few more pic's be careful out there andy.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 04:19:52 pm »
...6" of unadultarated snow on the roads this morning...
Man alive! Andy! You weren't kidding! I can feel the cold coming through my computer screen.

Be sure to mind your toes and fingers; the cold can creep into them before you know it.

Good on you! (virtual slap on the back). Keep at it, Andy! Boy, I'd join you in a moment if I could. Thanks for sharing the moment this way. Oh, and..."Please Sir, I want more"!

All the best,

Dan. (...whose formerly frostbitten fingers just began to twinge)

Andybg

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 07:42:43 pm »
I managed to get out this afternoon for a 20km outing on the bike. The tyres (the ice spiker pro) performed excellently on the bike giving superb grip at all times. Surprisingly too the mudguards with the 2cm of clearance gave no issues.

Only difficulties where as follows:

Riding through 4-6 inches of fresh snow is damn hard work to the point of being impossible. Unless you are almost putting in spint power you are going so slow that it is hard to control the bike.

Riding at speed (20kmh) on tyre tracks is extremely difficult and as soon as you veer into the fresh snow it is almost like doing an emergency stop (but less controlled)

The busier roads where more vehicles had been or had been ploughed and the road was a mixture of clear / black ice / rough uneven ice were no trouble at all. Even conering in these cnoditions was possible.

The only close calls I had was riding too fast 20kmh+ where there was only a single tyre track to follow and not quiet managing to keep to it.

All good fun though

Andy