Author Topic: Dynohub wheel prices heading for the winter solstice  (Read 6523 times)

Andre Jute

Dynohub wheel prices heading for the winter solstice
« on: November 29, 2012, 06:04:28 pm »

As forecast prices of wheels with dynohubs are taking a nosedive* this winter. See:
http://www.xxcycle.com/php/boutique/page.php?nom=PRODUITpp&key=12415
for a good price on an excellent Exal rim (I have Exal rims on my Utopia) with a Shimano sports dyne built in. Also check the listing of other dynohub wheels in the row of panels above in case you just want a commuter hub (that's a big saving for a hub that for practical purposes is as good unless you're touring in Outer Ourang Outang).

I can recommend XX Cycle, having bought from them by mailorder several times, though the caveat to "Never had a problem" is, of course, "Don't know what happens when there is a problem." I bought BUMM lights from them on several occasions as they have better prices than the German dealers and, unlike too many French firms, don't try to rip you on the carriage. I also bought my beautiful Stronglight Cospea cranks (relabelled Sugino boutique specials not otherwise available in Europe) from them for a very attractive price, and lots of bits and pieces over the years.

Coupla points: If they have any of those wheels left after Christmas and the January sale (which'll probably have nearly the same price but more hysterical hype), you'll get some real bargains. Ebay might be even cheaper in the New Year, but it is probably worth a few bucks to have the reputation of a big dealer, in business for all the foreseeable future, stand behind the product. Also, these are most likely surplus wheels from the big manufacturers, computer built, usually by unknown outside contractors; a computer built wheel can be brilliant, like the ones that came on my Utopia complete with printouts for each spoke and the finished wheel on many parameters, a whole evening's informative reading, or utter cr@p like the ones that came on my Gazelle Toulouse which I had to retension and relieve before they stopped shaking themselves to pieces. Unless you're patient enough to turn the spokes up in 1/8 turn increments, and aren't squeamish about relieving them with an enthusiastically wielded (automobile) tyre iron, those of nervous disposition should buy a handbuilt wheel from SJS for the security of someone who speaks English holding your hand as long as is necessary.

Andre Jute
I got to be a master bike mechanic because the guys in the bike shops in the city weren't

*There seems to be more dynohub wheels available this year, and better ones too than in past years (you never saw Exal-rimmed dynowheels on sale in years gone by). I wonder if this is an indication of a general decline in bicycle sales due to hard times, or of a shift in the market to pedelecs, which by carrying huge batteries make dynohubs unnecessary, or at least least leaves no space for them?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Dynohub wheel prices heading for the winter solstice
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 06:28:42 pm »
Thanks for the nice and timely heads-up, Andre. I think you're spot-on wrt the e-bike/pedelec. As a bellweather for the larger European market, the number of e-bikes in use in the NL this year has now hit the 1 million mark. According to bike-eu...
The market for e-bikes keeps growing and growing”, said Otto van Boggelen of Fietsberaad, a think tank for cycling and cycling infrastructure. “Particularly for people over 46 years old the electric bike is a very popular means of transport and some 10% of the people in this group owns an e-bike.”

Some 5% of all bicycles in the Netherlands is an e-bike today. According to Fietsberaad it won’t be long before the this percentage will rise to 20% and the e-bike ownership will be equally divided among younger people.
At the same time, the EU has opened the door to 500 W – 70 km/h MTB e-Bikes; the MTB-orientation takes advantage of a loophole in the speed restrictions, leading to some concerns about use on the roadways and congested bike paths/lanes. I know speed will be a major appeal to the youth market. When I rode the length and breadth of The Netherlands in 2008, motorscooters were allowed on the bike lanes, subject to speed restrictions enforced by governors. In fact, the vast majority of them had unmuffled aftermarket expansion-chamber exhausts (largely sourced from Denmark!) and no governors. As a cyclist, it felt like I was being chased -- and quickly overtaken -- by a swarm of angry, smelly, 2-stroke bees.

The first seven months of this year were disastrous for bike sales in the NL; the market only began to recover a bit starting in August, and about the only market segment that showed any consistent sales -- let alone growth -- was pedelecs. Exal is a Belgian brand, and also popular in the NL.

Yep...I agree, those niceish dynowheels are coming from somewhere, and I think we know the reasons why.

All the best,

Dan.

Aushiker

• Aushiker: Bicycling and Bushwalking in Western Australia
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 12:02:19 am »
Thanks Andre. They are nice prices for sure .. now if only I could get a SON 28 build at those sorts of dollars :)

Andrew

jags

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 06:45:25 pm »
can't seem to find the one i want 559or 600 whichever black rim with up to date shimano dh-3n72 dynamo hub.basically this wheel or as good as ,
http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k733/a71609/vorderrad-26-dynamo-dh-3n72-v-brake-xm317-32l.html
if you spot anything please send me the link.
chers
anto.

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 07:20:25 pm »
can't seem to find the one i want 559or 600 whichever black rim with up to date shimano dh-3n72 dynamo hub.basically this wheel or as good as ,
http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/k733/a71609/vorderrad-26-dynamo-dh-3n72-v-brake-xm317-32l.html
if you spot anything please send me the link.
chers
anto.

Bit cheeky of that shopkeeper to keep offering the wheel if he has no stock and doesn't know when he gets it in again.

XX actually has what you want, if it has to be black, but you will have to pay ten euro or so extra for disc fittings you don't want. See http://www.xxcycle.com/wheel-hub-dynamo-28-shimano-dh3d72-cl-exal-zxb19-622-19,,en.php

I reckon if you hang on, you will eventually get exactly what you want. I notice the wheel referenced was made for Winora, perhaps even by them; they're a good upper-middleclass (read pricey but still good value for the money) German maker, so I'd expect a good wheel out of the box. But I can't say that €110 is a price that excites me for a Shimano-hub wheel. At €70 I'll start singing hallelujahs.

My trick is to tell people to give me money for Christmas (huge sighs of relief because they no longer have to think up something I could possibly want) and then wait for the sales in January or even a bit later to buy what I want at a really good price.

Andre Jute

jags

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 09:19:53 pm »
emm not sure what to do now i like the look and the price of other wheel but how much better am i gonna get if i wait for january .
thanks andre for the reply.

jags

Andre Jute

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 04:57:54 am »
emm not sure what to do now i like the look and the price of other wheel but how much better am i gonna get if i wait for january .
thanks andre for the reply.

jags

It's like Apple computers in days of yore. The things cost the price of a car, and there were always people complaining that, just when they got up their courage and splashed out the money, Apple brought out something better for just that significant amount less...

Andre Jute

jags

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 12:26:21 pm »
just found my headlight on there Andre good price i tried to stool my daughter to buy it for my  for my christmas pressie ,
she said it was 45 euro to much  :( ah well guess i gotta wait.

http://www.xxcycle.com/php/boutique/page.php?nom=PANIER&key=27566&action=ajouter

Andre Jute

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 10:08:56 pm »
just found my headlight on there Andre good price i tried to stool my daughter to buy it for my  for my christmas pressie ,
she said it was 45 euro to much  :( ah well guess i gotta wait.

http://www.xxcycle.com/php/boutique/page.php?nom=PANIER&key=27566&action=ajouter

Jags, That Fly is a reasonable lamp -- for what it is. I gave it a good review as an E-lamp, suitable for electric bikes, because everything else was more expensive. But, by itself, it has a serious fault that will bother you every time you ride it. Dan understood my remark about the hot spot being "deeply unfortunate" correctly. as condemning the lamp for any but electrified cyclists.

My advice would be to look out for a new old stock (NOS) or secondhand first series CYO nearfield lamp (this is the one with the reflector and R in the number, 40 lux) which is a fundamentally more agreeable lamp, and eminently suitable for all kinds of riding in Ireland. I have one, not in use right now, but I'm hanging on to it in case I get to deelectrify. (My cardiac team has just put me on six month review and my GP is smiling all over her face at how well I've recovered.) You don't want the lamp with the daylight running lights under the main lamp -- that's just the Fly I have repackaged, complete with irritating hotspot. You don't need the "senso" because sensible people leave the light running day and night, but you do need the "plus" to keep the light shining at stop streets. However, most of the lamps offered on ebay at a decent price have both facilities, so you just take them.

Here's one that looks to be the right model for €49 delivered (could be a display model judging by the packacing): http://www.ebay.de/itm/Lumotec-Cyo-senso-plus-40-Lux-Fahrradleuchte-LED-B-M-Fahrradlampe-NEU-/230885726855?pt=Sport_Radsport_Fahrradteile&hash=item35c1dc9a87#ht_1299wt_1258

Andre Jute

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 10:16:24 pm »
my GP is smiling all over her face at how well I've recovered...
Andre! I can't think of better news to read today; I am simply delighted for you, and am looking forward to the trendline continuing upward.

All the best,

Dan. (...who is looking forward to racing you, Nomad to Kranich! You'll know the course best so advantage Andre!)

jags

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 10:35:21 pm »
Wow Andre i also meant to say great news on your super results god on ya boy. ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 10:39:13 pm »
Thanks, fellows.

Andre! I can't think of better news to read today; I am simply delighted for you, and am looking forward to the trendline continuing upward.

All the best,

Dan. (...who is looking forward to racing you, Nomad to Kranich! You'll know the course best so advantage Andre!)

Nah, you don't catch me that easily, Dan. I want an age handicap as well, a mile a year, and then we'll see -- over a 16 mile course I ride every day. I'll have the tea brewed and Jags will be toasting the muffins while we wait for you...

Andre "Mr High Spirits" Jute

jags

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 10:47:53 pm »
sounds good to me. ;)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 12:15:59 am »
Nah, you don't catch me that easily, Dan...I'll have the tea brewed and Jags will be toasting the muffins while we wait for you...
Y'know, fellows, I wouldn't mind losing if I got some tea, toasted muffins, and good company at the end of it. My only worry is we'd so enjoy talking, we'd forget to race (not a bad thing)!

All the best to a couple of Ireland's finest,

Dan. (...Save some for me, guys, I'm coming!)